Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #31
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The internet gives opportunity for evil, little people who would never say anything to your face speak out. Best to ignore them.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #32
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Spoke last night about this with Jim Colvin, our director of racing. And as best I could understand, contractual entanglements and contractual disputes that preceded his taking over make easier access to our signal an uphill battle. Jim is VERY aware of the pressing need to accomplish this and IS working hard on it. My impression was it WILL get done-but not real soon.

On an unrelated note, how do the people that script and unleash mindless internet attack dogs sleep at night?? Or actually think they are anonymous? Don't misunderstand me. It's an honor to work both my jobs, and I've received enough praise for 10 analysts, but personal attacks are always unsettling. Even the ones I never see, such as on this thread.
Glad to hear they are aware. I used to live in another province that had horse racing on TV so it didnt matter that I couldn't get the feed on my adw.

I still have issue though with the limits need to get video with HPI. My betting style means I will never qualify for their video service.What limits are needed for free video in the USA ADWs?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #33
arw629
First Time Gelding

Appealing Yankee taking down the Kevin Patterson sprinter in the 2 fur sprint last night cost me a $10 pick 4. I was so pleased with my ticket too after the $41.00 horse won leg 2....5 with all with Kevin Patterson with 1,4,5,7....I hit the early double in the card for four bucks and I was thinking I had the card nailed. Such a buzz kill...that being said I love betting Mountaineer. Track biases appear from time to time and like earlier stated a lot of the time just bet the horses with the appropriate running style for how the track is playing....Mark and Nancy do a tremendous job but Mark if you’re reading this can you tell Nancy that Belterra is pronounced bel-tare-uh and not bel-tar-uh lol....Peter berry is one of the best. I guess I just love mountaineer bc it’s an old school race track in the middle of nowhere with interesting people everywhere you look
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #34
lamboguy

the first race had almost $250,000 bet on it with no minus pools or jumpers in it. then the action slowed right down. that money could have been the CAW. when one guy comes in the others try to take down the other sharks money sometimes.

it happens to me every time i make a $40 win bet at Bangor Harness. i come in early and the CAW comes in to fight over my $40. when i stick my $40 is the only time you see the win pool break $1000. i get horses that should be under 2-1 in my mind that pay $10 or more often times.

the CAW must be using some sort of artificial intelligence. if you realize that you are going up against the CAW you can make some money at this game.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #35
The_Turf_Monster

Both MNR and CT are great if all you look at is class and track condition. Once you get beyond that, it's borderline pointless. Unlike most tracks, their class structure makes sense and they're not putting that dreaded 'or' in the race condition to combine two classes of horse
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #36
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
.Mark and Nancy do a tremendous job but Mark if you’re reading this can you tell Nancy that Belterra is pronounced bel-tare-uh and not bel-tar-uh lol....Peter berry is one of the best. I guess I just love mountaineer bc it’s an old school race track in the middle of nowhere with interesting people everywhere you look
Tx so much for the kind words, sir. I, too, love mountaineer, and no matter what hat I have on, the place's best interests are ALWAYS foremost in my mind. In fact, I have in past instances offended upper brass by bluntly stating that I don't serve companies or persons: I serve Mountaineer.And that's a much higher calling. The sharpest of those authority figures well understood what an asset that mindset makes an employee.

I sometimes think that if Mnr were the Overlook, I would be Jack Torrance. Just as edgy; just as devoted; just as individualistic; And every bit as crazy, self-righteous, and rooted to the place. One of my blogs, The Tickets , somewhat explored the origins of this personal connection, while another, Muskets and Movies , entails a quirky history of Mnr and its surrounding area that you might find interesting.

As to pronouncing that Ohio track, I'll reveal something about the code we live by at the studio desk. And it's one reason Nancy and I have managed to work together for so long without MAULING each other..LOL. We are very close confidants about personal matters. In fact, we know things about each other that probably no one else in the WORLD knows. But we never, EVER, and I mean NEVER, coach each other on how to perform on the air. And that would include something as innocuous as pronouncing the name of a racetrack.

I realize how odd that must seem, but BELIEVE me, given our sharply contrasting styles and willful personalities, it IS for the best. LOL.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-23-2019 at 11:01 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #37
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Tx so much for the kind words, sir. I, too, love mountaineer, and no matter what hat I have on, the place's best interests are ALWAYS foremost in my mind. In fact, I have in past instances offended upper brass by bluntly stating that I don't serve companies or persons: I serve Mountaineer.And that's a much higher calling. The sharpest of those authority figures well understood what an asset that mindset makes an employee.

I sometimes think that if Mnr were the Overlook, I would be Jack Torrance. Just as edgy; just as devoted; just as individualistic; And every bit as crazy, self-righteous, and rooted to the place. One of my blogs, The Tickets , somewhat explored the origins of this personal connection, while another, Muskets and Movies , entails a quirky history of Mnr and its surrounding area that you might find interesting.

As to pronouncing that Ohio track, I'll reveal something about the code we live by at the studio desk. And it's one reason Nancy and I have managed to work together for so long without MAULING each other..LOL. We are very close confidants about personal matters. In fact, we know things about each other that probably no one else in the WORLD knows. But we never, EVER, and I mean NEVER, coach each other on how to perform on the air. And that would include something as innocuous as pronouncing the name of a racetrack.

I realize how odd that must seem, but BELIEVE me, given our sharply contrasting styles and willful personalities, it IS for the best. LOL.
I totally understand and respect your position on that “Ohio” track but I had to bring it up just to see what your response would be. The thing is I already knew what you were going to reply with. Keep up the good work and I’m thankful for your time and dedication.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #38
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judehaz View Post
Sorry for the ranting - it's just a track geographically near to me that I had enjoyed visiting in the past, before 1) tainted drinking water on the grandstand side was found to have legionella, causing the track to cancel for a few weeks and 2) the track announcer blocking me from twitter after a polite comment disagreeing with his opinion on a harness horse.
I blocked you for an accumulation of negativity toward Mountaineer. I don't remember any harness horse comment but I highly doubt it was "polite." More likely, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. If you don't like Mountaineer, don't play it.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #39
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
I blocked you for an accumulation of negativity toward Mountaineer. I don't remember any harness horse comment but I highly doubt it was "polite." More likely, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. If you don't like Mountaineer, don't play it.
You always serve mnr as best and completely as you can. Living proof that I'm hardly unique in that regard.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #40
judehaz

Quote:
For the record, this is the first and only thing I’ve posted “negatively” (really just a gambler’s rant) about Mountaineer. And it obviously generated some interesting conversation here.

Also, aside from questions or generally supportive comments on Twitter, the only thing one could construe as negative that I ever posted about the track were some PMs to you being upset about a string of breakdowns a few years ago, which at the time you were very gracious and understanding about, making the blocking actually hurtful to me. When you went through your health scare I was one of your biggest fans and you were thankful.

I remember exactly what I said that was the “straw” for you. You were defending Lazarus N and I said the horse would be a “flash in the pan” here.

Anyway, I am a fan of your race calling. Let’s just leave it at that.
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #41
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Both MNR and CT are great if all you look at is class and track condition. Once you get beyond that, it's borderline pointless. Unlike most tracks, their class structure makes sense and they're not putting that dreaded 'or' in the race condition to combine two classes of horse
i like the easy conditions as well. the part that i find difficult there is they write 5 1/2 and 3/4 distances where horses can either thrive or look like bums if they are in the right or wrong distance.

i find the bias is very easy to pick up on the very first race without having to see 2 or 3 races. the other problem can be that up to the first 4 races can be on turf, then they run dirt and the dirt bias may only last 2 races, if there is one, and then the track changes because of the proximity to the river. why this happens i don't know. now you are up to the 7th race and have to be right on your assessment of the track to try to catch something on the 8th and 9th. it was better when they had 10 races.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #42
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judehaz View Post
For the record, this is the first and only thing I’ve posted “negatively” (really just a gambler’s rant) about Mountaineer. And it obviously generated some interesting conversation here.

Also, aside from questions or generally supportive comments on Twitter, the only thing one could construe as negative that I ever posted about the track were some PMs to you being upset about a string of breakdowns a few years ago, which at the time you were very gracious and understanding about, making the blocking actually hurtful to me. When you went through your health scare I was one of your biggest fans and you were thankful.

I remember exactly what I said that was the “straw” for you. You were defending Lazarus N and I said the horse would be a “flash in the pan” here.

Anyway, I am a fan of your race calling. Let’s just leave it at that.
Clearly, then, whatever the reason I blocked you was uncalled for and I do humbly apologize. It would not be the first time I overreacted.

And, for the record, your comment on Lazarus proved spot-on.

Last edited by Peter Berry; 05-26-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #43
judehaz

Quote:
Clearly, then, whatever the reason I blocked you was uncalled for and I do humbly apologize. It would not be the first time I overreacted.

And, for the record, your comment on Lazarus proved spot-on.
Very kind of you to say. And my "unplayable" title was... a bit over the top to say the least! I actually got some great handicapping advice RE: track bias from this thread so I'm ultimately glad I posted it!
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #44
mountainman

Threw on tie this evening for first time in months. Half on whim, half as prep for derby day chafing. Top picks go 8 for 9 on air. As EXTREMELY superstitious dude, am now condemned to wear one for awhile. Ouch.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-29-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #45
mountainman

You need thick skin to you do my job correctly. And most whining is simply a sign that you're doing it right. But sometimes your only recourse is to laugh and shake your head.

Evidently somebody in the Ricardo Barios camp wants pistols at 10-paces after my characterization of the then 3 for 63 rider's breakout night (Tuesday) as the product not only of hard, aggressive sending, but also the good fortune of having the turf events belatedly switched to dirt.

And they considered it EXTREMELY unfair for me to describe him as a very hard tryer who gives clients their money's worth every time-but will never be mistaken for stylish on a thoroughbred horse.

So ya wana be an analyst on tv??? Welcome to my world. It looks ohhhhhhh so easy until you step into the crucible and realize the cost not only of candor, but of simply doing the job.

I'm paid for objective analysis. Not to issue platitudes or cultivate friends. And I'm a big boy who made my peace with that long ago.

Last edited by mountainman; 06-14-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: