Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #31
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I really hated Everfast. I was calling him Everslow before the race. I thought he was a huge underlay at 25-1.
I played him as a single w/p/s at the last mintue because I saw the awesome again/take charge indy and figured he could do the stretch out. I'm talkiing a very tiny amount of $, so it did nothing to reimburse me for the $$ I lost in the preakness overall on my win win win and warriors charge wagers.

Again, this is the problem with classic distance races......horses who have been forced to run in prep races that are way too short for them (like Country House) are going to come off as no-hopers to the average handicapper. You can look at both their sire side and mare side "dosage profiles" and it's very obvious that "speed" is not their strong point........ They don't excel at 1-1/16th. They shine as stretch runners at greater distances because they have plenty left in the tank. These horses come out of mile type races and back at the barn are probably wondering "was I racing or just taking a short breeze?" .....

You can watch true stamina horses running along in races that are 10F-14F and they are relaxed as can be. Galloping along and aren't even close to being winded. It's really wonderful to watch, if you have a *thing* for 10F+ distance races........but we just don't get to see very much of it here in U.S. racing.

because I like the long routers, The Belmont has always been my favorite TC race, but by the time it comes around we have already "burnt out" some of the best ones running them at distances at which they are ill-suited.

Quite a distinct difference when you look at trainers like Kiyoshi Haiwara who started Le Vent Se Leve at 9f........as a maiden. He runs like a cannonball in the stretch....relaxed as all get out....doesn't matter if he has to go 5 wide ... he still wins. He probably would have blitzed the BCC etc. if he had entered and not had leg problems along the way and had to miss out on races last year. This is the same trainer who had Epicharis. He *gets* the long distance dirt runner. You will not see them running 6F races as maidens.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-19-2019 at 08:03 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #32
GMB@BP

How was Everfast only 25/1?

I think Baffert ran Paynter in the Belmont off an allowance.

I have no idea what to think of Game Winner, and other than the track have no clue why he was so far back with that pace in the Derby. I also read where Baffert said he had lost some weight after the Derby.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #33
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think Baffert ran Paynter in the Belmont off an allowance.
Paynter won an allowance at Pimlico on the Preakness undercard. For some reason, they did not run the Sir Barton Stakes that year or else I presume he would have run there as his previous starts were the Santa Anita Derby (4th) and the Derby Trial (2nd).

Made his debut in mid-February like Justify, and made just his 5th start in the Belmont.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #34
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Paynter won an allowance at Pimlico on the Preakness undercard. For some reason, they did not run the Sir Barton Stakes that year or else I presume he would have run there as his previous starts were the Santa Anita Derby (4th) and the Derby Trial (2nd).

Made his debut in mid-February like Justify, and made just his 5th start in the Belmont.
Should have won the Belmont, Mike f'd that one up bad.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #35
king kong

We knew improbable is a head case,what about Hennigs horse was he sober?
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #36
lamboguy

my take

Gary Barber, owner of the winner, could not attend the winner's circle. possible reasons might be:

A. he didn't think he could win the race

B. overslept

C. doesn't like attending when his horse races due to luck factor

D. had an emergency that he had to tend to

i only bring this up because i see more and more empty winners circles these days everywhere. i know that the Prince's from the Middle East never attend, maybe because they are busy running their respective countries. and maybe they are only interested in the money and that is part of the reason why purses for big races have gone up so much.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I really hated Everfast. I was calling him Everslow before the race. I thought he was a huge underlay at 25-1.
He shows absolute pitiful form and the last time he won was at 128-1.
I would love a breakfast of his hay, oats, and water.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #38
delsully
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Has some stamina in the extended family including the top turf horse Denon but he'd probably need a well planned ride a la Hansel to stay the distance. He'll be tough to settle in the early stages.
Good post!

He pulls early in nearly every race. At 1.5 miles, time for me to jump off the bandwagon.
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #39
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalman View Post
I hope WOW and Owendale take a lot of $ because Tacitus is winning the Belmont. The only sire who consistently gets Belmont winners is Tapit-sire of 3 of the last 5 Belmont winners. Only the 2 triple crown winners have interrupted Tapit's string of Belmont winners.
I think that Tacitus is a genuine Belmont contender based on his own performances and not merely because he is by Tapit. There are a lot of Tapits that would not have a chance in the Belmont. 5 Belmonts is a ridiculously small sample size to have any significance.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #40
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I played him as a single w/p/s at the last mintue because I saw the awesome again/take charge indy and figured he could do the stretch out. I'm talkiing a very tiny amount of $, so it did nothing to reimburse me for the $$ I lost in the preakness overall on my win win win and warriors charge wagers.

Again, this is the problem with classic distance races......horses who have been forced to run in prep races that are way too short for them (like Country House) are going to come off as no-hopers to the average handicapper. You can look at both their sire side and mare side "dosage profiles" and it's very obvious that "speed" is not their strong point........ They don't excel at 1-1/16th. They shine as stretch runners at greater distances because they have plenty left in the tank. These horses come out of mile type races and back at the barn are probably wondering "was I racing or just taking a short breeze?" .....

You can watch true stamina horses running along in races that are 10F-14F and they are relaxed as can be. Galloping along and aren't even close to being winded. It's really wonderful to watch, if you have a *thing* for 10F+ distance races........but we just don't get to see very much of it here in U.S. racing.

because I like the long routers, The Belmont has always been my favorite TC race, but by the time it comes around we have already "burnt out" some of the best ones running them at distances at which they are ill-suited.

Quite a distinct difference when you look at trainers like Kiyoshi Haiwara who started Le Vent Se Leve at 9f........as a maiden. He runs like a cannonball in the stretch....relaxed as all get out....doesn't matter if he has to go 5 wide ... he still wins. He probably would have blitzed the BCC etc. if he had entered and not had leg problems along the way and had to miss out on races last year. This is the same trainer who had Epicharis. He *gets* the long distance dirt runner. You will not see them running 6F races as maidens.
Everfast had routed in every one of his starts save for his maiden win at 7F. He had backed up in deep stretch in all 9 of those starts save for one where he closed for second at 128-1 in the Holy Bull. Not sure how that extra 1/16th of a mile was really going to help him yesterday.

Unless Romans found something that suddenly triggered a change in performance, or perhaps some type of medical procedure being done, there was nothing that could have forecasted that horse running 2nd yesterday. Thankfully, for his backers, Rosario simply got to the best part of the track and Everfast was able to pick up horses that didn't get as good of trips.

Last edited by metro; 05-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #41
f2tornado

Rosario has brought home the Preakness place bacon a couple times previously otherwise would have been a tough play without hitting the ALL button.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think to get that one, you would need to hit the "ALL, Yes, that one too" button along with the "SERIOUSLY, HIM TOO" button.

To me., his placing is MUCH more of a concern than the Derby DQ.

Last edited by Tom; 05-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #43
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Gary Barber, owner of the winner, could not attend the winner's circle. possible reasons might be:

A. he didn't think he could win the race

B. overslept

C. doesn't like attending when his horse races due to luck factor

D. had an emergency that he had to tend to

i only bring this up because i see more and more empty winners circles these days everywhere. i know that the Prince's from the Middle East never attend, maybe because they are busy running their respective countries. and maybe they are only interested in the money and that is part of the reason why purses for big races have gone up so much.

On the Preakness telecast, they stated that he's in France at the Cannes Film Festival.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #44
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
On the Preakness telecast, they stated that he's in France at the Cannes Film Festival.
More likely its shabbat. More Stakes races need to be moved to Sundays to bring in new owner money. imho.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #45
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think to get that one, you would need to hit the "ALL, Yes, that one too" button along with the "SERIOUSLY, HIM TOO" button.

To me., his placing is MUCH more of a concern than the Derby DQ.
You can say that again.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply