Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Foolshope

Jockey & Trainer Angles

What form do you guys use for finding Jockey & Trainer angles?

How do you compare the data? (Quick formula please)
Like if one trainer's Shipper angle is 50 starts and a 5% win percentage, and another is 25 starts but a 10% win percentage...one has fewer starts, but they are equal in terms of total wins, etc.

How do you give someone an edge?
More starts? More wins? Higher %? ROI?

Or is this info useless how I'm using it?
Foolshope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
jay68802

Do not use it at all in handicapping a race, but it is nice to see good angle after I have made selections. Will favor a selection that has a good angle. They are sort of like chocolate syrup on the ice cream. Ice cream is good but a little better with the syrup.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Foolshope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Do not use it at all in handicapping a race, but it is nice to see good angle after I have made selections. Will favor a selection that has a good angle. They are sort of like chocolate syrup on the ice cream. Ice cream is good but a little better with the syrup.
That makes total sense, I'll try that.
I've noticed it's inconsistent for handicapping straight on, so this helps very much!
Foolshope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolshope View Post
That makes total sense, I'll try that.
I've noticed it's inconsistent for handicapping straight on, so this helps very much!
Trainer angles used to be playable on their own, at least in certain situations. With the decline in the claiming game and so many people looking for positive trainer stats, the value has been sucked out. If you like two horses equally and both are running off a layoff but one trainer is 25% with layoff horses and the other is 5%, I'd certainly lean towards the 25% trainer. The thing is, the 25% trainer's horse will be 5-2 and the other horse will be 10-1. So you have to pay the price for those positive stats.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
lamboguy

the best trainer angle i have ever known of is betting on horses that leave or get claimed from certain trainers.

that best angle i had was betting on the horse that left Elliot Walden the first time.
he is the head man for Winstar Farm and used to train their horses. at one point i had 7 straight winners that left him and went elsewhere. ni was sick when he quit training.

there are other guys almost as good as Walden, you just have to find them.

there are other ways you can win, you just need some fortitude to overcome the takeout and breakage.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
lawmaker1

First race after a trainer reclaim is a teriffic angle!
lawmaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply