Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 05-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
horses4courses

TVG/HRTV Accountability

Here's a novel concept that I'm sure is way too sensible for TV to adapt.

With all the plugging on TVG/HRTV to bet on their respective ADW affiliates, isn't it about time that they kept track of how their touts are doing?

Ticket after ticket (mostly P3, P4 action) gets plugged daily, without any accountability as to how their selections are doing over time.
You only ever hear about the occasional hit, which gets applauded like crazy.

Any serious gambler knows - record keeping is essential.

If they ever had any handicappers on air who could actually pick winners consistently, maybe people would take some notice.
They, obviously, need "on-air talent" to introduce programming.
At the same time, many of these people find it hard to pick winners.
If there was a tally of their plays on the screen, over a week/month/meeting, there might be some embarrassment. Perhaps, even a career change?

With summer racing on the horizon, it's time for change at TVG/HRTV in how they go about trying to drum-up betting interest.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.

Last edited by horses4courses; 05-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

The novel thing about your post is that you seem to think that they care what you think.

Haven't they proved by now that they don't care?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
The novel thing about your post is that you seem to think that they care what you think.

Haven't they proved by now that they don't care?
Agreed.
They don't seem to care.

The best way, though, for them to increase their ADW handle, is to have more of their regular gamblers winning more bets.

Nothing drives handle like success.....people want more and more of it.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
andymays
Veteran

My comments are mostly about TVG:

What very few people point out is the damage they do to new customers who give betting on the horses a try. They are fooled into thinking the so called "experts" are really experts and end up losing their asses.

How many newbies have they busted out since they began?

How many times has Ken Rudolph sent people to the windows on one of his picks to "pad your bankroll" in the early races?

"Pad your bankroll" my ass.

Last edited by andymays; 05-17-2010 at 05:19 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Hedevar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays

What very few people point out is the damage they do to new customers who give betting on the horses a try. They are fooled into thinking the so called "experts" are really experts and end up losing their asses.

How many times has Ken Rudolph sent people to the windows on one of his picks to "pad your bankroll" in the early races?

I couldn't agree more Ken Rudolph is especially clueless.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
horses4courses

Quote:

I couldn't agree more, Andy.
They should put duck tape on Rudolph's mouth when it comes to touting.
Fine to have him presenting the programs - just don't pretend to be an expert
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

man, it's a double 2 for 1 month on TVG and HRTV and we are only half way through the month
Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:

That's exactly what I try to point out.

It's amazing how many here are clueless to the big picture and think that I am worried about their picks and should not watch or listen to what they say to remedy the situation.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
exiles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedevar
I couldn't agree more Ken Rudolph is especially clueless.
TVG so called analysts they are not only clueless the are wh@$%e SHILLS that don't give a rat's ass if you go broke betting on their so called expert p4 and p6 picks as long as you bet w/ them K. Rudolph couldn't tell a horse from a zebra, M. Carothers and his aggressive singles will send you to the poor house in no time, as for T. Schrupp i don't think he knows which is the head, and which is the tail of a horse.
exiles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
turfnsport

I would love to know the number of newbies that tripped over the channel, deposited, and went broke playing these idiotic Pick 3, Pick 4 and Pick 6 tickets at high takeout rates, never to return.

I wonder how many new fans would have been generated with a simpler approach, i.e. win, exactas, doubles. They would have at least stuck around longer.

It seems to me the churn would be better, and would better better for TVG's bottom line.

It seems like a moronic business plan to me.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport
I would love to know the number of newbies that tripped over the channel, deposited, and went broke playing these idiotic Pick 3, Pick 4 and Pick 6 tickets at high takeout rates, never to return.

I wonder how many new fans would have been generated with a simpler approach, i.e. win, exactas, doubles. They would have at least stuck around longer.

It seems to me the churn would be better, and would better better for TVG's bottom line.

It seems like a moronic business plan to me.
Like I said, it's time for them to step up and be accountable.
Everyone who touts plays should have their ROI displayed.
Sort of like a health warning on alcohol, cigs, or food items.

Last edited by horses4courses; 05-17-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
mikeb

You forgot to mention "mr b"......do you really need him to tell you who the favorite is?????????

By the way i'm not THAT "mr b"
I'm the one looking for value!

Last edited by mikeb; 05-18-2010 at 09:21 AM.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Canarsie

I have a simple idea that would really show how they are doing. When they show a P4 or similar ticket it has a logo saying Analyst/Host wagered. That means they played the exact ticket with their own cash. Since they bet through TVG it's easy to verify if they are on the level. Only a dummy would think they bet everything they picked.

I hate dissing individuals but Ken Rudolph is especially clueless. Having stated the 10 leaves from the second tier at Meadowlands after all these years is grounds for immediate dismissal. The other day after a horse wins at a $25+ mutual he said one host sent it in. Here we go with the logo deal again as it can say under $20, $20+, $50+ to win and then there would be proof. Not once did they ever tell you to bet the horse just to win.

Having said all of this I like a bunch of people who work there. Rich Perloff, Frank Mirahmadi, Sarge, Christina Olivares talk to you not at you.

Still you are better off with TVG then without. My two cents.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Light
Veteran

If there were anyone who could consistently post a positive ROI, be it a TVG analyst or other media,I would throw away my form and just use their picks. It takes alot of work and time to thoroughly and properly handicap a race card or 2 and you have no guarantee of success for all that hard work.

I can guarantee you if TVG ever did find an analyst who could consistently show a profit they would advertize his picks till you turned blue. Do you realize how strong a marketing tool that would be for them to generate handle? They dont care if you win or lose,they make a percentage off the bets they handle and having someone with a strong and consistent ROI would have TVG exec's drooling. Of course as soon as a successful TVG analyst started catching on with the public,everyone would bet his picks and his ROI would plummet big time for loss of value.

And of course they don't keep track of their hosts ROI. It would be a major turn off to say, "bet Matt C's picks,he's our leading capper in Pk4's with a -200% ROI" Oh yeah,that would go over quite well with the public and TVG executives. TVG hosts are part actor and have to play the part of so called "experts" that TVG presents them as. So,they will continue to ignore their own results.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
feelup1963

TVG -SO CALLED "EXPERTS"

ANYTIME YOU ARE PICKING/TOUTING FOUR OR MORE HORSES IN ANY ANY GIVEN RACE YOU ARE NOT A EXPERT HANDICAPPER. MAJORITY OF THE TIME THEY STILL END UP NOT PICKING THE WINNER OF THE RACE.AWAY WITH THOSE PICKS/TICKETS ON AIR,BUT IT'S A PLOY TO BUILT UP THEIR REVENUE.
feelup1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: