Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Imriledup

Jockeys. The TV program on Animal Planet

Noticed something interesting on yesterday's show and i wanted to discuss this with the panel here. Unless i'm mistaken, there's been no mention of actual horse betting by the jockeys. Did Iggy and his girlfriend have NO dollars to win on his mount that won at the end of the show? Did Kristin and Chantal have ZERO dollars to win on BullyBullyBully a couple of shows ago?

Betting is what makes this sport go and yet betting is never really mentioned on this program. They make references to one professional gambler who wears a hat, but other than him, betting isn't discussed. No jockey is overheard placing a bet with a runner....do these jocks not bet one dollar ever on their mounts?

I know it would look 'bad' for some reason if a jock bet on his own runner, or, maybe jocks are not allowed to wager even if it IS on their own horse?
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
Noticed something interesting on yesterday's show and i wanted to discuss this with the panel here. Unless i'm mistaken, there's been no mention of actual horse betting by the jockeys. Did Iggy and his girlfriend have NO dollars to win on his mount that won at the end of the show? Did Kristin and Chantal have ZERO dollars to win on BullyBullyBully a couple of shows ago?

Betting is what makes this sport go and yet betting is never really mentioned on this program. They make references to one professional gambler who wears a hat, but other than him, betting isn't discussed. No jockey is overheard placing a bet with a runner....do these jocks not bet one dollar ever on their mounts?

I know it would look 'bad' for some reason if a jock bet on his own runner, or, maybe jocks are not allowed to wager even if it IS on their own horse?

I dont think they can bet.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Hanover1

Betting....

Quote:

Its like Pete Rose betting baseball...not a good idea. Is it done? Im positive it is. Im glad they dont touch on this in the show, because if they are appealing to the casual fan, and trying to attract interest, to much can be read into wagering by jocks, even if they are on the up and up, and just want a few bucks on the nose to round out the day.... The 1-2 finish by Smith and Chantal produced a nice exacta. Think anyone played it? There are rules in place regarding wagering by jocks on the mounts, but runners are used, and its a tough rule to enforce if a jock wants a bet down. There are bookies-OTB parlors, and the use of trusty runners.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
thespaah

Quote:

GASP!!! There's no betting on horse racing!!!!
Chalk it up to political correctness.
From what I understand, each jursidiction has their own rules.
In NJ connections can wager to win only. Unless that has changed.
There's plenty of posters in the business on here from all over the country. Perhaps a licensed owner/trainer or other employee can chime in.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

No bet

I thought jockeys get slips from their trainers.
Since a high % of parents w/ kids watch AP, no betting discussed- its about demographics.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
I thought jockeys get slips from their trainers.
Since a high % of parents w/ kids watch AP, no betting discussed- its about demographics.
pretty sure jockeys, agents, valets aren't allowed to bet.

Re: no betting discussed - not exactly sure what you're referring to, but one of the repeating characters of the show is a professional gambler...
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Marlin

It might be different in some jurisdictions but trainers and jockeys in a certain race are allowed to bet. Only on their own horse and only to win! Of course jockeys cannot leave the room and return so I'm not quite sure how they get down.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaSteve
pretty sure jockeys, agents, valets aren't allowed to bet.

Re: no betting discussed - not exactly sure what you're referring to, but one of the repeating characters of the show is a professional gambler...
I understand that, but they don't really discuss the betting aspect. They'll ask their resident pro to chime in on the jocks, but there's really no betting talk. They won't show him cashing a ticket and collecting piles of money even though that's something that we want the novice player to see. Just like Poker stars on television, we want people to see the stacks of cash being paid out and they don't even talk about it.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
Hanover1

licensed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
GASP!!! There's no betting on horse racing!!!!
Chalk it up to political correctness.
From what I understand, each jursidiction has their own rules.
In NJ connections can wager to win only. Unless that has changed.
There's plenty of posters in the business on here from all over the country. Perhaps a licensed owner/trainer or other employee can chime in.
I am licensed as both...see post.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
I understand that, but they don't really discuss the betting aspect. They'll ask their resident pro to chime in on the jocks, but there's really no betting talk. They won't show him cashing a ticket and collecting piles of money even though that's something that we want the novice player to see. Just like Poker stars on television, we want people to see the stacks of cash being paid out and they don't even talk about it.
why do you want them to show the betting aspect? To me, poker is the LAST 'sport' you want horseracing to emulate. I think horseracing has so much more to offer than poker. I think you want the novice play to see the other aspects, not the fact that 9 out of 10 go home losers, like every other form of gambling.
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

Quote:
is it even legal to show people wagering on tv in all 50 states?

poker on tv is an entry fee to win the top prize.
juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Java Gold@TFT

I have known a couple of trainers personally who I know for a fact bet on some of their horses. The thing is you will NEVER see them standing in line at the windows betting or cashing out. The money is always in the hands of a trusted friend or the owner. There is nothing to stop the owner from betting on his horse and many do hand over fist. I also know that one of these guys would tell the jockey before the race that he was putting a little extra something on the horse as a "tip" for his best effort. Personally I don't have a problem with it if they are betting on their own horses. I would worry if they were betting on horses in the race other than their own. I agree though thatthis show is on Animal Planet and not ESPN or TVG so some aspects of the game don't need to be examined like a 60 Minutes expose.
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Hanover1

Mike....

Last episode it seemed Mike Smith said all the right things to Chantal, but I didnt feel any emotion there. Its like, do whatever you want, Im not gonna ask you to marry me....And Chantal act like shes not happy in SoCal either. Best she moved on imo. They did spend a bit to much time on it however....
Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Last episode it seemed Mike Smith said all the right things to Chantal, but I didnt feel any emotion there. Its like, do whatever you want, Im not gonna ask you to marry me....And Chantal act like shes not happy in SoCal either. Best she moved on imo. They did spend a bit to much time on it however....
I know its just a TV show, but they didn't seem to be deeply in love. At least Mike didn't.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
Pace Cap'n

There's probably like one man in the country who wouldn't be interested in a relationship with CS, and, by golly, she found him.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: