Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Whatever it is with Gomez...I hope he gets through it and gets back to his old self. I have always been a Go Go fan...and I want him back!!
Read and understand before you give your opinion.

This blog has ZERO to do with Garrett Gomez.

You say you want him back, where have you been, because Go Go never left.

________
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I see he's batting .09 percent. Last year he was only a .12 rider. Shouldn't a guy who's usually in the top 5 in the country be batting well over 15 percent?

Did he just forget how to ride?

Quote from ZilZal post:
If you did some real searching you would find that something in his personal life is not what it appears. Have seen the same thing happen to many riders going through nasty divorces or undisclosed injury.

I see you guys are getting rather nasty in your replies to my posts about Gomez...like "read & understand before you post"...jeeze.

I mentioned Gomez in reply to the above quotes...so don't tell me I am the one that mentioned Gomez in a Prado thread. I simply replied to a couple of posts about him.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
Dahoss9698
Veteran

It just keeps getting better.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Wickel

This thread has just crossed over into the Twilight Zone!
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
Kimsus
Veteran

For what it's worth from my observation since I bet and this is what I use to gauge good rides or not, Gomez isn't riding to the standard he set in 08 or 09 so I agree with Joanied to a degree. As for Prado is a shell of his former self, infact he sux now, put him in the Jorge Chavez bin. A hell of a rider once that went KFC.

Last edited by Kimsus; 05-13-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Kimsus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
I see he's batting .09 percent. Last year he was only a .12 rider. Shouldn't a guy who's usually in the top 5 in the country be batting well over 15 percent?

Quote from ZilZal post:
If you did some real searching you would find that something in his personal life is not what it appears. Have seen the same thing happen to many riders going through nasty divorces or undisclosed injury.

I see you guys are getting rather nasty in your replies to my posts about Gomez...like "read & understand before you post"...jeeze.

I mentioned Gomez in reply to the above quotes...so don't tell me I am the one that mentioned Gomez in a Prado thread. I simply replied to a couple of posts about him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened to Edgar Prado?

Quote from ZilZal post:

Unless I'm starting to go blind, where in these posts does Garrett Gomez's name come up ??

The title of this thread is: What happened to Edgar Prado?

________
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 05-13-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #22
cj's dad

[QUOTE=46zilzal]If you did some real searching you would find that something in his personal life is not what it appears. Have seen the same thing happen to many riders going through nasty divorces or undisclosed injury, like Garrett Gomez.[/QUOTE]

see there it is !!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
David-LV
Veteran

Posted By: KIMSUS

For what it's worth from my observation since I bet and this is what I use to gauge good rides or not, Gomez isn't riding to the standard he set in 08 or 09 so I agree with Joanied to a degree. As for Prado is a shell of his former self, infact he sux now, put him in the Jorge Chavez bin. A hell of a rider once that went KFC.

Does this look like Garrett is slowing down or having personal problems.

He is the most sort after jockey riding today.

________
David-LV

http://www.examiner.com/x-43823-Lexington-Horse-Racing-Examiner~y2010m4d27-Gomez-wins-Keeneland-2010-spring-meet-jockey-title

Jockey Standings

Two-time Eclipse Award winning jockey, Garrett Gomez capped his first full meet at Keeneland by taking home his first jockey title at Keeneland.

Gomez, who captured his fourth-consecutive national title in 2009 as leading money-earning jockey, scored 22 wins on 68 mounts during the Keeneland's meet, which included wins in the Doubledogdare Stakes (gr. 3) on Haka and the Beaumont Stakes (gr. 2) on Franny Freud.

"It is really an honor to win the jockeys' title here at Keeneland," Gomez said on Keeneland.com. "It is one of the most prestigious meets in the country and some of the best jockeys around ride here. Keeneland is really special because it's right in the heart of horse country and there are a ton of great and knowledgeable fans that come to the races each day. I really look forward to this meet and I'm very happy to take home the riding title.

"Another special thing about Keeneland is the quality of horses here," he continued. "At Keeneland, you get to do more than ride one or two good horses a day; you get to ride good horses all day long. As jockeys, that makes our job a lot easier and a lot more fun. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to get on several really nice horses, win some races and take home my first Keeneland riding title."

Overall, Gomez had 68 starts, with 22 wins, 10 seconds and 12 thirds. He also had a winning percentage of 32 percent, and an "in the money" percentage of 65 percent.

He did not seem to have any preference for the type of track he won on, having a 33 percent win percentage on the turf and a 32 percent win percentage on the Polytrack. He also scored a 27 percent win percentage in the stakes races he rode in, winning two of nine for a 27 percent mark.

Last edited by David-LV; 05-13-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
johnhannibalsmith

Wait, what's all this about Garrett?

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #25
joanied

OK, OK... maybe I read something wrong, I don't know...

but you guys have had your fun...I know that some of you probably look for posts with mistakes or mis understandings...then swoop in like so many vultures...now you can fly away and find someone else to shit on.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
AQUEBUCKS
maximan

Guys, did someone even consider Jockey Agents regarding the current performance level of either Edgar Prado or Garrett Gomez? First off-Regarding Prado, he fired long time agent Bob Frieze and then hired Jim Riccio, Jr. This happened right before the start of the Gulfstream meet. Prado was unhappy with Frieze so he confided in the Dutrow Clan and then hired Riccio. Remember " Hall of Fame jockey Edgar Prado had a banner afternoon at Aqueduct Racetrack April 22, riding five winners from seven mounts." Remember who the trainers were for those five winners? Other than Dutrow, Trainers he never rode for in years past. My point is this. The Agent makes the Jockey, always have. Not that Jim Riccio, Jr is a bad agent, but there is no comparison as to the popularity with prominent owners and trainers. Case in point- Which top Trainer doesn't have have Ron Anderson's (Garrett Gomez) cell number programmed into theirs? Bob Frieze? Maybe as he had Jerry Bailey's book before Prado. Jim Riccio Jr. I doubt it. In California, Joe Ferrer's number is programmed into every bodies cell phone. I could go on and on about what I think is under-publicized and that is the Agent.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
OK, OK... maybe I read something wrong, I don't know...

but you guys have had your fun...I know that some of you probably look for posts with mistakes or mis understandings...then swoop in like so many vultures...now you can fly away and find someone else to shit on.
These forums are somewhat widely read amongst industry insiders, so it would be my hope that posts that refer to specific individuals (like Gomez and Prado) would contain highly ACCURATE information.

Instead of complaining that some folks on here are "swooping in like vultures to correct mistakes," perhaps time would be better spent making sure such inaccurate information about public individuals who make their living in this game never sees the light of day in the first place.

That's how stupid, nasty, flat-out-wrong RUMORS get started in the first place.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #28
westny

Aquebucks has it right re agent.

But, why was Prado unhappy with Frieze...a "super agent", or was it the other way around?
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #29
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
These forums are somewhat widely read amongst industry insiders, so it would be my hope that posts that refer to specific individuals (like Gomez and Prado) would contain highly ACCURATE information.

Instead of complaining that some folks on here are "swooping in like vultures to correct mistakes," perhaps time would be better spent making sure such inaccurate information about public individuals who make their living in this game never sees the light of day in the first place.

That's how stupid, nasty, flat-out-wrong RUMORS get started in the first place.
They could have been a little nicer about correcting a mistake. I just replied to Zilly's post...and got the subject matter mixed up
But, you are right, PA.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #30
BIG49010

He's lost his stones, and won't go inside anymore. I call them the safety rides on the outside, similar to the way Jerry Bailly finished his career.

Younger agressive riders like Cohen, Dominguez, Jose Lazacano, etc..