Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #46
Hanover1

Done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
After watching last week's show I'm curious, has The Pamplemousse raced since that show was taped? If not, why?
Im pretty sure he bowed.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #47
Hanover1

Saga continues....

I remember when they aired the phone conversations with Chantal and her Canadian agent. He claimed he could put her up on top rather quickly. I have been checking several stakes up there of late, and she isnt even getting any mounts, much less live ones. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #48
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
If Chantal isn't getting any good ones to ride up there...she either has a crappy agent, who gave her a line of BS...or the trainers don't think enough of her to put her on their good ones... IMO, she ain't much of a jockey anyway.

I don't think the Pamplemousse bowed...but I would sure like to know the status of him, and also of I Want Revenge...at least we know Pioneerof The Nile was retired...although, I have no idea what kind of injury he sustained that would call for his early retirement?

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #49
Hanover1

I Want Revenge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
If Chantal isn't getting any good ones to ride up there...she either has a crappy agent, who gave her a line of BS...or the trainers don't think enough of her to put her on their good ones... IMO, she ain't much of a jockey anyway.

I don't think the Pamplemousse bowed...but I would sure like to know the status of him, and also of I Want Revenge...at least we know Pioneerof The Nile was retired...although, I have no idea what kind of injury he sustained that would call for his early retirement?
Chantal was hot up there at one time, hence the move to SoCal. I think I Want Revenge injured like Pyro, and may return.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #50
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Chantal was hot up there at one time, hence the move to SoCal. I think I Want Revenge injured like Pyro, and may return.
I hope IWR does come back...if he heals up and is sound, I think they'll have no choice but to race him a few more times...it'd be to their benefit once he is sent to the breeding shed...and I hope Talamo gets back on him!!

Yeah, she was 'hot' up there for a while...what trainer wouldn't give a pretty face like that a shot ...but, race riding is about skill & strength, good hands & no fear...& a good clock in the head...IMO, she doesn't have much of any of those qualities.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #51
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

She is in 2nd place with 93 wins.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #52
Hanover1

Pamplemousse

Quote:
I hope IWR does come back...if he heals up and is sound, I think they'll have no choice but to race him a few more times...it'd be to their benefit once he is sent to the breeding shed...and I hope Talamo gets back on him!!

Yeah, she was 'hot' up there for a while...what trainer wouldn't give a pretty face like that a shot ...but, race riding is about skill & strength, good hands & no fear...& a good clock in the head...IMO, she doesn't have much of any of those qualities.
Pamplemousse had, prior to the Santa Anita Derby a "lesion" on his tendon, requiring a scratch. That is a nice way of saying he bowed. If the injury were a simple bruise, he would have been back already. Connections indicated at least 6 months of convalescence prior to return. Typical time to attempt tightening of bowed tendon. Depends on extent of tear. Horses do race with bows. Pyro had succesful return to stakes winning form after removal of chip in ankle. IWR in same boat we hope....
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #53
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Every time I've watched a race from Woodbine this past week, it seems as if Chantal is either winning, or in position to win...she's getting live ones for sure...

On a side note, I missed last week's episode...and for some reason, unlike every other cable channel in existence, Animal Planet only replays an episode of Jockeys twice...once at midnight and once at 4am Saturday I believe...kind of silly...

The only other place I have found of getting the episode is iTunes...for $1.99...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #54
joanied

Well...that's good...guess Hanover1 was misinformed and I don't pay any attention to Canadian races...regardless of my opinion of her riding skills, it's still nice to know she is winning up there...if not, then she'd be sorry she left Mike in SA ...so, good for her...I am always rootin' for the women in this sport...regardless.

Thanks for setting the record straight, guys

By the way...DID the Pamplemousse bow a tendon...does anyone know exactly what that Derby morning scratch was for??

Gandalf the Grey
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #55
classhandicapper

I was impressed by Chantal in the episode where she complained that the other jockeys trapped her on the inside and allowed one of the favorites to walk on the lead and win. She doesn't deserve special treatment, but at least she understood the race development issues and tried to make the point to the other jockeys that they were also hurting their own chances by boxing her in and not allowing her to run with the other horse. It looked like some of the guys were too dimwitted to understand the point even if they disagreed.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #56
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I was impressed by Chantal in the episode where she complained that the other jockeys trapped her on the inside and allowed one of the favorites to walk on the lead and win. She doesn't deserve special treatment, but at least she understood the race development issues and tried to make the point to the other jockeys that they were also hurting their own chances by boxing her in and not allowing her to run with the other horse. It looked like some of the guys were too dimwitted to understand the point even if they disagreed.
She's been riding long enough to know about race riding tactics...like them or not, it's part of the game...she didn't need to make a point with those guys...they knew what they were doing, and sure don't need to hear about it from her, and I don't mean to seem cold here, but it's a dog eat dog world out there during a race, and she knows that, or should.
It wasn't that the other jocks seemed dimwitted...IMO they just didn't care for her whinny behavior...she was near tears, and it seemed to me, she wanted Mike to defend her, which of course, he can't do.
My opinion

Gandalf the Grey
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #57
WinterTriangle

Quote:
race riding is about skill & strength, good hands & no fear...& a good clock in the head...
I've thought about that, and chantal doesn't have the upper body strength of a male rider. This is what I find interesting. So, she has to over-compensate in other areas, and I've come to the conclusion she has good hands.

I never underestimate the *finesse* riders.

Bejarano, IMHO, great hands, too.

I notice that female trainers and male trainers seem to come at things from a different perspective. I know it sounds gender-biases, but there is no doubt that women and men just don't think in the same language. It's just a whole different perspective in many cases, anyone who is married knows that. The outcome of problem solving can be the same, but they way they arrive at it is very different.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #58
WinterTriangle

Quote:
she wanted Mike to defend her, which of course, he can't do.
The personal relationship there is complex, yet not. We're back to the age-old thing where females cannot pursue certain careers as diligently as men IF they also want the "traditional" stuff like babies, etc. You can't ride preggo, and the amount of work to get back in shape after a pregnancy, esp. as you get older, for an athlete, has to be very tough!

It's a choice, of course, like all of life. I never bought into the "you can have it all" theory, so it doesn't bother me. Every decision comes with something you had to give up. Even my very BEST DECISIONS in life came with a pricetag. Some that you feel forever.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #59
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
I've thought about that, and chantal doesn't have the upper body strength of a male rider. This is what I find interesting. So, she has to over-compensate in other areas, and I've come to the conclusion she has good hands.

I never underestimate the *finesse* riders.

Bejarano, IMHO, great hands, too.

I notice that female trainers and male trainers seem to come at things from a different perspective. I know it sounds gender-biases, but there is no doubt that women and men just don't think in the same language. It's just a whole different perspective in many cases, anyone who is married knows that. The outcome of problem solving can be the same, but they way they arrive at it is very different.
I agree about the hands and finesse...Shoemaker comes to mind...and I agree too that Chantal has a way of relaxing a horse, but...always a but ...you also need that upper body strength...it's the power a rider needs to push that horse...Cordero was fantastic with that...not many could match his ability to push a horse that last few steps in a close finish.

To your other post, WT...ohyeah, agreed...very complicated relationship...mostly long distance, one wants kids, the other is in no hurry...and you do usually have to pay at least a small rpice for achieving your dreams/goals... no one of us knows exactly what their relationship is like in private...nor should we...but I beleive Chantal has made up her mind and will continue her riding career and if Mike is still there when she's ready, so be it...if he isn't, then she'll have to deal with any heartache that comes from loosing him.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #60
AQUEBUCKS
maximan

J

PA , I if you have optimum/cablevision check Free on Demand, Channel 500, Science/Nature/Animal Planet/Special Features Episodes 2-5 are available.

Last edited by AQUEBUCKS; 09-22-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add
AQUEBUCKS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply