Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Poindexter

Canterbury Park claiming a pick 5 carryover on a jackpot pick 5?

Saw on Twinspires a carryover on the pick 5(no Jackpot designation) Saturday at Canterbury Park. Went to the Canterbury Park web site, under carryovers/racing they show a pick 5 carryover at Canterbury, yet a Jackpot carryover at Santa Anita and Gulfsteam. Went to the Equibase carryover page and same thing, no jackpot designation. Went to the results page and saw the pick 5 paid very little so obviously no carryover. Of course in the entries it is designated as a jackpot pick 5 and not a regular pick 5. I believe Prairie Meadows is doing the same thing on the twinspires and equibase web sites haven't checked their web site.

Is this the new thing in Racing, announce regular carryovers in Jackpot pools?
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Andy Asaro

This is done all the time to trick people who don't know better into playing. It's a lowlife way to attract handle.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
JohnGalt1

Canterbury is my home track.

They have never had a sucker jackpot bet.

I spoke with someone in management last year and was glad the 2016 first time pick 5 was not a jackpot bet.

I was somewhat surprised to see they think we betters are suckers like so many other tracks think we are.

When I go back to the track -- this weekend is cold and rainy,
so I'm playing Pimlico from home -- I will try to find out their thinking.

In the latest Horseplayer's Magazine all but one of the handicappers interviewed gave a negative opinion to jackpot bets.

I'm embarrassed that Canterbury came to party late.

THE WORST NEWS----

Despite handle rising about 5% last year, versus handle decreases of - 20% for other mid-west tracks -- Iowa, Oklahoma, and Chicago, etc. -- Canterbury ended the lower take out rates and reverted to 2015 levels.

They wanted a +10% increase in handle to make the lower rates profitable to the share holders.

They admitted that last years weather was wetter than normal and more races than a normal summer were taken off the turf which they admitted hurt handle.

I'm surprised, (not really) they didn't go at least one more year with the lower take out.

Last year Canterbury got many of you to play Canterbury for the first time or bet more often.

The sucker pick 5 is the appropriate bet for what they think of us.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Thomas Roulston

I do like that 3 1/2-furlong/1 7/16-mile chute they have at Canterbury.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post

I spoke with someone in management last year and was glad the 2016 first time pick 5 was not a jackpot bet.

I was somewhat surprised to see they think we betters are suckers like so many other tracks think we are.

In the latest Horseplayer's Magazine all but one of the handicappers interviewed gave a negative opinion to jackpot bets.

THE WORST NEWS----

Despite handle rising about 5% last year, versus handle decreases of - 20% for other mid-west tracks -- Iowa, Oklahoma, and Chicago, etc. -- Canterbury ended the lower take out rates and reverted to 2015 levels.

They wanted a +10% increase in handle to make the lower rates profitable to the share holders.

They admitted that last years weather was wetter than normal and more races than a normal summer were taken off the turf which they admitted hurt handle.

I'm surprised, (not really) they didn't go at least one more year with the lower take out.

Last year Canterbury got many of you to play Canterbury for the first time or bet more often.

I actively supported Canterbury last year. Of course I still follow and make speed figures for them, but as a bettor they are dead to me.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post

THE WORST NEWS----

Like CJ, I supported them big time last year. I even went out there for a tournament and spent a weekend betting on-track. My handle there was 0 in 2015, 6-figures in 2016, and is now back to 0. They did something we've all been asking for and I backed up my appreciation with my wallet despite a horrendous year in terms of field size, weather, and off the turf racing.

A little history on the jackpot bet. They wanted to add it last year during the takeout cut and I, among others, strongly urged them not to. Reasons being that they need churn and that's a real bad churn bet, the takeout is extremely high when it carries, and it won't handle much so they won't get the marketing push that GP has.

This year, not only did they raise all their rates to at or above 2 years ago, but they added the bet we all warned them against.

Some great people out there that I really like but as a bettor, they're dead to me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: