Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
ultracapper

Andy Serling

I've never shared this story before, because it's personal, and it was a private favor, from Andy to me. But after seeing the new and improved Andy Serling thread, I just felt the desire to share.

About 10 years ago my youngest son was in the 8th grade, and had to do a report on a "family interest". He chose my special little interest, horse racing. One of the segments of the report was to interview somebody, outside of the family, that was knowledgeable on the subject. I can't remember exactly how it came to Andy's attention, but one way or another, through the only contact I've ever had with him, a message board just like this, he offered to allow my son to call him, at his home, during off hours, in the evening, when New York is 3 hours ahead of us in Seattle, and let my son ask him some questions. Andy doesn't know me from Jack Robinson, but for him to do that was something I will always appreciate. I put in bold that one statement because it doesn't begin to convey how I really feel, but if I get too wordy, I'll screw it up. But I've stated many times on this board that I'm an unapologetic Andy Serling fan, and it's because of the kind of man he is. It has nothing to do with his handicapping or public persona.

Anyway, CJ can lock this one also, because I have no interest in being the initiator of another Andy Serling thread. But I did want to share this, and I hope it stays up for others to read.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Thanks, that was nice of you to post.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Dahoss9698
Veteran

This post should give the jealous losers even more ammo but I consider Andy a friend. But even if he was not, I've never understood why other dudes devote so much time to hating on him.

It can really only be jealousy because what else would make grown men get so worked up about? He's got a pretty awesome job but it's not like he didn't work really hard to get there.

He's opinionated. So what? Isn't that what you want out of an analyst? Strong, educated opinions that are stood by? It's not like he takes himself too serious either...what other analyst would wear a dunce cap?

It's all kind of funny because he's so misunderstood.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
woodtoo

Its often the little things that make a big difference, like a phone call.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
letswastemoney

Andy once took my questions through a private message on Derby Trail for a Lady and the Track article (back when I used to write for them on a weekly basis).

I thought that was nice of him.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The first time I met Andy, I was introduced to him by Suff, at our Toga get together this way:

"Andy, this is Tom. He doesn't like you!"

We had butted heads on this board a few times.
But sitting at the table next to him, listening to him talk about horse racing, his passion was undeniable. I could not justify my attitude about him. No one who loves the game as he obviously doses could be that bad. It must have been ME who missed the point.

He turned out to be a great guy and one who to this day I enjoy listening to and respect him as a person. He always treated me with respect every time we saw each other at Toga after that. No grudges, just a genuinely nice guy.

A tip o' my hat to Andy!
Old 05-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Its often the little things that make a big difference, like a phone call.
It's the time, and the effort, to contribute, if only for a moment. I've seen him offer to many people on these public forums, an effort to help them make their one day at a NY track just a little better. It's commendable, and overwhelmingly trumps all the bullshit the petty ego seekers cry about when their positions may be challenged by him.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

I LOVE him too....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
NTamm1215

I'll say what some of you may agree with and some of you may not. I am biased because Andy is my friend, and it is surely due time he get some accolades here.

Andy Serling should rightfully be looked at as a handicapping pioneer, even as the 3rd member of a triumvirate with Steve Crist and Andy Beyer. He has made watching replays, using handicapping tools like DRF Formulator, and understanding trips part of the larger handicapping conversation during an era where technology has expanded.

Some of you may think you can do his job better than him. Some may think you're a better handicapper. It's OK, we all have strong opinions and should be willing to back them.

His passion for the game is endless and his willingness to interact with fans is admirable. He may not say what you like or deliver it the way you'd like for it to be delivered, but the positives far outweigh the negatives and the game is lucky to have him.

Last edited by NTamm1215; 05-04-2017 at 11:48 AM.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
ultracapper

Without even knowing it, he totally turned me on to replays. He would make statements about horses that would make no sense to me, not realizing he wasn't quoting the form. I'd wonder how the hell he deduced that from what I was looking at. Then I realized he was watching the race. Bang: enlightenment.

That was 10, 12 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to my game.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
It's the time, and the effort, to contribute, if only for a moment. I've seen him offer to many people on these public forums, an effort to help them make their one day at a NY track just a little better. It's commendable, and overwhelmingly trumps all the bullshit the petty ego seekers cry about when their positions may be challenged by him.

People are complex. It is possible for multiple things to all be true.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
People are complex. It is possible for multiple things to all be true.
Indeed. None of us are perfect...and we, at different times, deserve BOTH...the praise, AND the blame, for our behavior here. Serling is no different, in that regard.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I'll say what some of you may agree with and some of you may not. I am biased because Andy is my friend, and it is surely due time he get some accolades here.

Andy Serling should rightfully be looked at as a handicapping pioneer, even as the 3rd member of a triumvirate with Steve Crist and Andy Beyer. He has made watching replays, using handicapping tools like DRF Formulator, and understanding trips part of the larger handicapping conversation during an era where technology has expanded.

Some of you may think you can do his job better than him. Some may think you're a better handicapper. It's OK, we all have strong opinions and should be willing to back them.

His passion for the game is endless and his willingness to interact with fans is admirable. He may not say what you like or deliver it the way you'd like for it to be delivered, but the positives far outweigh the negatives and the game is lucky to have him.
Andy is great at what he does and because of that, he makes it look easy, so that's why we all think 'hey I could do that' how hard could it be. It's much harder than people think, and the pressure to walk The fine line of not compromising the opinion with the personal relationships within the game is impossible to do for most people, how can you critique a horse or a ride or track mgmt when you have to see all these people in the hallway or paddock or even the local watering hole ?

Juggling a fair and balanced opinion in this regard is one of the most difficult tasks imaginable, Its very hard.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
acorn54

i always try to do toward others as i would want to be done to myself.
unfortunately for me that does not happen as much as i would like and other than the speed of light, bad karma is an absolute for me, anyway.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

He's on TV right now, analyzing Belmont Park's 4th race!