Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Post-Race Analysis: A Good Idea?
Yes 29 78.38%
No 4 10.81%
Possibly 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. This poll is closed

Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 AM   #16
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Great...I wish you much success with the show.
Thanks. Last year I showed a $2.00 flat bet win/place profit for over 190 races. Not easy.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #17
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Thanks. Last year I showed a $2.00 flat bet win/place profit for over 190 races. Not easy.
I love the racing and the graphics at Oaklawn...but, unfortunately, the track isn't too fond of me. I haven't had success there for several years now. The majority of the race results there leave me scratching my head.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:06 AM   #18
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I love the racing and the graphics at Oaklawn...but, unfortunately, the track isn't too fond of me. I haven't had success there for several years now. The majority of the race results there leave me scratching my head.
It's definitely advanced studies. But IMO worth staying the course. It took me an entire season to get a feel. One of the things you might want to re-visit is there are a couple very high percentage barns that can be extremely streaky. Nothing nefarious at all. Let me say that again. Nothing nefarious at all. Some who's horses seem to all need a race. With the length of the meet in mind. Other's that start out white hot and taper off because the purses perhaps invite them to try to get one extra race out of a horse who will be running for half as much at the next town. Looking back at the charts for the entire 57 days may point to some of these trends. Saying this a 3rd time because this is PA. I AM NOT suggesting anything corrupt. More predicting over all meet philosophy and strategy.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:11 AM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
It's definitely advanced studies. But IMO worth staying the course. It took me an entire season to get a feel. One of the things you might want to re-visit is there are a couple very high percentage barns that can be extremely streaky. Nothing nefarious at all. Let me say that again. Nothing nefarious at all. Some who's horses seem to all need a race. With the length of the meet in mind. Other's that start out white hot and taper off because the purses perhaps invite them to try to get one extra race out of a horse who will be running for half as much at the next town. Looking back at the charts for the entire 57 days may point to some of these trends. Saying this a 3rd time because this is PA. I AM NOT suggesting anything corrupt. More predicting over all meet philosophy and strategy.
I appreciate the help...and will keep this in mind going forward.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #20
Maximillion

Quote:
I didnt play OP this year but it seems like many of the the shippers that have done well there (claiming types) seem to be under-performing when going elsewhere....or the other extreme,horses who showed almost nothing at OP can be a threat for a complete form-reversal.
It backs up what you said,seems like many were geared up just for that meet,and it was so tough it almost makes me want to look past any races there for a lot of horses.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #21
ultracapper

OP- great idea.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I must disagree.

This past season I was asked and agreed to do a pre-race handicapping show on the closed circuit system with Nancy Holthus at Oaklawn.

I insisted we be allowed to take the time to not only make the selections but explain how we arrived at the picks.

We used visual aids. Marked racing forms, video of Thoro-graph sheets and of course video replays.

I was told by both management and fans they appreciated and embraced our efforts. I strongly feel we did in fact cultivate players to learn ways to form a better, more informed and sophisticated opinion.

On occasion we invited people from the from the live crowd to join us on set and share their selections. They said that 100% our show was instrumental in their evolution as horse players.

This
and the OP
Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #23
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
I must disagree.

This past season I was asked and agreed to do a pre-race handicapping show on the closed circuit system with Nancy Holthus at Oaklawn.

I insisted we be allowed to take the time to not only make the selections but explain how we arrived at the picks.

We used visual aids. Marked racing forms, video of Thoro-graph sheets and of course video replays.

I was told by both management and fans they appreciated and embraced our efforts. I strongly feel we did in fact cultivate players to learn ways to form a better, more informed and sophisticated opinion.

On occasion we invited people from the from the live crowd to join us on set and share their selections. They said that 100% our show was instrumental in their evolution as horse players.
Vic, Are any of these shows available on youtube? Would be great to see a few of them. Thx.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #24
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Vic, Are any of these shows available on youtube? Would be great to see a few of them. Thx.
I couldn't find any on youtube
Old 06-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #25
mountainman

Recaps are by far my favorite part of doing tv analysis. I've always felt (hoped) that serious players are interested in what to "take away" from a race.

My extensive recaps are why we always fall behind on mnr's show. There is soooo much I want to convey after most races-and so little time.

In fact, Nancy sometimes rolls her eyes when I come in behind her short blow-by-blow recaps and extenuate more on what we just watched. And she has a point....her recaps (she does the odd numbered races and I do the evens) are hers to do as she sees fit. But I'm just bursting to weigh in...I can't help it.

But I do believe that a good recap both enlivens and informs.

Her and I have very different ideas of what constitutes good analysis and recaps. But we remain good friends, and well understand each other's philosophy and role. And she deserves a medal for tolerating my ego and swag for 18 years. Be well, guys....no time to post, these days.

Btw, great to see you back, Vic.
mountainman is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2018, 12:37 AM   #26
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Recaps are by far my favorite part of doing tv analysis. I've always felt (hoped) that serious players are interested in what to "take away" from a race.

My extensive recaps are why we always fall behind on mnr's show. There is soooo much I want to convey after most races-and so little time.

In fact, Nancy sometimes rolls her eyes when I come in behind her short blow-by-blow recaps and extenuate more on what we just watched. And she has a point....her recaps (she does the odd numbered races and I do the evens) are hers to do as she sees fit. But I'm just bursting to weigh in...I can't help it.

But I do believe that a good recap both enlivens and informs.

Her and I have very different ideas of what constitutes good analysis and recaps. But we remain good friends, and well understand each other's philosophy and role. And she deserves a medal for tolerating my ego and swag for 18 years. Be well, guys....no time to post, these days.

Btw, great to see you back, Vic.
Nancy & Mark are the GOLD STANDARD of pre and post race analysis.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #27
lamboguy

Quote:
Nancy & Mark are the GOLD STANDARD of pre and post race analysis.
that's for sure. i watch them every card they are on and pay very close attention to their post race comments because i miss more than they see.

because of them i had to re-adjust my sleeping habits. i was betting the early day cards and ran out of gas half way through the mountain, today i make the whole card.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #28
bobphilo

Sounds good to me. I spend just as much time analyzing a race I bet on as I did on handicapping it. The more relevant info the better. Feedback is crucial and if a horse doesn't run as I expected I want to know if I made a mistake or due to a bad trip.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: