Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #31
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing. My need for "justice" was referring to obvious cases of guilt such as the one reported in this link...where the defendant spells out the chilling details without batting an eyelash. Did you read the article...where the adopted girl's mother testified that the intention initially wasn't to kill the poor girl, but to tie her up and keep her in the attic...where the sack-of-shit boyfriend could "rape her at will"? A good friend of mine works as a correctional officer at a Chicago maximum security prison...and he tells me that the violent criminals are granted health and dental insurance. Is that YOUR idea of "justice" when it comes to cases such as the one I have posted here?

I'm sorry if it offends your Buddhist sensibilities, Hcap...but I would pay money to be allowed to carve the eyeballs out of the skulls of these two animals...with a hot spoon. And I might be the least-violent member of this board...who wouldn't willingly even step on an ant.

No mercy whatsoever for the scum of the earth...I say. And if the Buddha is right, and we all come back to this earth for an encore performance...let those animals get things right the next time around. But this time they got things terribly wrong...and their exit from this life must be as painful as possible, IMO...in order for the lesson to be properly reinforced.
Compassion has the ability to expand the narrow focus.

BTW, Christianity and Judaism do not disagree.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #32
HalvOnHorseracing

It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.
-- William Blackstone
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #33
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Compassion has the ability to expand the narrow focus.

BTW, Christianity and Judaism do not disagree.
COMPASSION? For a couple of psychopath killers who would adopt an unfortunate child just so they could torture it at their will? You've got to be kidding me!! If this is what is meant by "enlightenment"...then I wish to forever remain in the "darkness".
Old 03-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #34
hcap

Quote:
COMPASSION? For a couple of psychopath killers who would adopt an unfortunate child just so they could torture it at their will? You've got to be kidding me!! If this is what is meant by "enlightenment"...then I wish to forever remain in the "darkness".
The non-narrow focus expands to the policy failures of the death penalty, and innocents who suffer as a result.

As I said, DNA lies less than our justice system

Last edited by hcap; 03-25-2019 at 05:49 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.
-- William Blackstone
Did Billy ever have a family member raped and murdered?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The non-narrow focus expands to the policy failures of the death penalty, and innocents who suffer as a result.

As I said, DNA lies less than our justice system
I tried to bring that up - DNA, etc. YOU dodged the whole topic.
No one says the system is perfect now. That is what needs to be addressed.
But as usual, all you are is bullet points and never any specifics.

And as far as compassion goes, I save mine for the victims.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 AM   #37
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I hate posting a story such as this here, because it shows the exact reason why I haven't watched a news telecast for over 3 years now...and why I would gladly volunteer to serve as an executioner in some of the murder cases that we often see. But I am posting the story anyway...as a reminder for those of us who consider the death penalty to be a grave injustice in our society today.
I take it as a given that no system is perfect, therefore, there will be errors where innocent people are found guilty, sentenced and executed. This brings up the question

What is the highest acceptable percentage of innocent persons executed?

The late Earle Stanley Gardner (author of the Perry Mason novels) claimed to have done research that convinced him that one execution in nine (11%) was of an innocent person. Amnesty International claims the rate in the U.S. is one in three (33%)

The wealthy are less likely to be executed than the poor. Could this be because they can afford better lawyers?

Whites are less likely to be executed than non-whites.

Then there's the Texas prosecutor who got a defendant convicted and sentenced to death. When the man was exonerated just hours before his scheduled execution the prosecutor made this statement: "Any lawyer can get a guilty man sentenced to death. It takes a great lawyer to get and innocent man executed."
Old 03-26-2019, 02:39 AM   #38
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Then there's the Texas prosecutor who got a defendant convicted and sentenced to death. When the man was exonerated just hours before his scheduled execution the prosecutor made this statement: "Any lawyer can get a guilty man sentenced to death. It takes a great lawyer to get and innocent man executed."
How does such a prosecutor avoid prosecution himself? Now I understand what Shakespeare meant when he so famously quipped: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #39
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
How does such a prosecutor avoid prosecution himself?
For what crime? He's simply one side of an adversarial system mandated by law. And law is all about procedure and precedent. It's nice if truth and justice are served but procedure and precedent reign supreme.

Quote:
Now I understand what Shakespeare meant when he so famously quipped: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
Spoken, I believe, by one of the villains of the piece. Shakespeare himself worked in a law office as a young man and his plays indicate a great deal of legal knowledge.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #40
biggestal99

Quote:
Vengeance and horrification of how cruel we can be motivates many of us, but the death penalty does not curtail homicides.

really the how do you figure the murder rate in Florida which has the death penalty in the year 2017 was 5 per 100,000 people.

and the murder rate in Jersey in 2017 that does not is 3.6 per 100,000 people.

oh bad example....

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #41
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I take it as a given that no system is perfect, therefore, there will be errors where innocent people are found guilty, sentenced and executed. This brings up the question

What is the highest acceptable percentage of innocent persons executed?

The late Earle Stanley Gardner (author of the Perry Mason novels) claimed to have done research that convinced him that one execution in nine (11%) was of an innocent person. Amnesty International claims the rate in the U.S. is one in three (33%)

The wealthy are less likely to be executed than the poor. Could this be because they can afford better lawyers?

Whites are less likely to be executed than non-whites.

0%

The great state of Texas leads the way in executing innocents with Florida not far behind.

Allan
Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #42
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

And as far as compassion goes, I save mine for the victims.

tom,

How bout the victims of an overzealous prosecutor and police who coerce false confessions to crimes.

There are all types of victims.

Allan
Old 03-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
How does such a prosecutor avoid prosecution himself? Now I understand what Shakespeare meant when he so famously quipped: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
If all the lawyers were laid end to end, it would be a good start!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
tom,

How bout the victims of an overzealous prosecutor and police who coerce false confessions to crimes.

There are all types of victims.

Allan
Never said there weren't.
And never said prosecutors can't be criminals.

And we know a large majority of JUDGES are outright criminals!

Had a lot of that in the 60s in the south with KKK running the justice system.
The OLD FBI, the one with credibility, did a great job of going down there and cleaning things up.

Now it's time to do the same in the north, the west, and the east.

Of course the system needs to be fixed to prevent innocents from being executed - the rules for it must be stringent and thorough and they are not now.

But fix them.

If we had brought Osama Bin Laden home instead of sending him to HELL, would anyone object to frying his worthless ass?

Last edited by Tom; 03-26-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
0%

The great state of Texas leads the way in executing innocents with Florida not far behind.

Allan

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: