Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #31
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Infrastructure projects all over the country to include road work, etc... Of course they will be under the supervision of senior personnel.
Excellent suggestion!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #32
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Since you seem to know, can you provide examples of what you claim not to be true about OUR current POTUS?? What is it that you know about how his kids were brought up?

IMO, a discipline that should be required of ALL kids: two years of military service directly after high school...no exceptions; no buy-outs; a desk job for those physically impaired. Look at it as two more years of FREE education. And for those wishing to enter college afterwards, any sports activity or proclivity not to be disclosed on applications...sort of like not allowing citizenship status on census reporting.

It's about time that education alone be taken seriously, including a requirement (for tax dollars) that the staff be comprised of an equal representation of opposing political ideologies (left/right), lest we see increasing numbers of AOC clones spiraling...God forbid!!
Agree with the Military aspect...Israel does it....

Far as Trump and his kids.........it's all public history....although seems like the Don himself's history has suddenly become hard to find...thinking his Daddy WAS much like those getting BUSTED now for bribing their kids way in...much like Obama's birth records are sketchy....

ps...it's way to late....only 7% of University professors are conservative......

AOC is just the tip of iceberg am afraid...
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #33
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
The problem is they are not wealthy enough to donate a building or wing of a building directly to the institution. The U.S. attorney explicitly stated this type of bribery, er I mean donation, to gain admittance to the institution is not a crime.

The mistake is making the donations to a charity and taking the tax deduction for money used to gain admittance to the institution.
The guy in charge of the fraud had some sort of charity that parents were paying him through.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #34
RunForTheRoses

[QUOTE=HalvOnHorseracing;2440650]This story is written up to sound sensational, but since Harvard opened in the 1600's the shit has been going on. Root out some freakin' terrorists instead of guys with a Harvard degree the Mommy and Daddy bought. Does anybody think George W. Bush worked his ass off to get into Yale?

https://vdare.com/articles/this-just...er-than-bush-s
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #35
HalvOnHorseracing

[quote=RunForTheRoses;2440820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
This story is written up to sound sensational, but since Harvard opened in the 1600's the shit has been going on. Root out some freakin' terrorists instead of guys with a Harvard degree the Mommy and Daddy bought. Does anybody think George W. Bush worked his ass off to get into Yale?

From United Press International

I think I'll stick with UPI on this one. Regardless, almost all the students at Ivy League schools had 1600 on their SAT's, except for the legacies (Bush) and the people with big money to grease the wheels.

"Linda Gottfredson, co-director of the University of Delaware-Johns Hopkins Project for the Study of Intelligence and Society, told United Press International: "I recently converted Bush's SAT score to an IQ using the high school norms available for his age cohort. Educational Testing Service happened to have done a study of representative high school students within a year or so of when he took the test. I derived an IQ of 125, which is the 95th percentile." In other words, only one out of 20 people would score higher.

Another IQ expert, Charles Murray of the American Enterprise Institute, the co-author of the bestseller "The Bell Curve," came up with a similar result when asked by UPI. Noting that everybody except high school dropouts takes the PSAT when they are sophomores, Murray calculated from PSAT scores that "I think you're safe in saying that Dubya's IQ, based on his SAT score, is in excess of 120, which puts him the top 10 percent of the distribution, but I wouldn't try to be more precise than that."

By way of comparison, Bush's 2000 opponent Al Gore scored 134 and 133 the two times he took an IQ test in high school, putting him just under the top 1 percent of the public. Not surprisingly, the former vice president's' SAT scores were also strong but not stratospheric: Verbal 625, Math 730, for a total of 1,355 out of a perfect score of 1,600."

Last edited by HalvOnHorseracing; 03-14-2019 at 02:06 PM.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #36
JustRalph
Just another Facist

[quote=RunForTheRoses;2440820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
This story is written up to sound sensational, but since Harvard opened in the 1600's the shit has been going on. Root out some freakin' terrorists instead of guys with a Harvard degree the Mommy and Daddy bought. Does anybody think George W. Bush worked his ass off to get into Yale?

He had a free pass as a legacy candidate. They didn’t have to bribe anybody
Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Gee, wonder what scores kids got who know the Earth's core is only thousands of degrees?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #38
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Is there really any difference between rich people buying their kid's way into school ahead of the "regular" students and Bush getting to go to the head of the line to get into Yale? Or Malia Obama into Harvard or Chelsea Clinton into Stanford?

Last edited by Clocker; 03-14-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #39
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Legacy counts in your favor but it's not automatic.The number I saw was around 30-40%(depending on the school),of legacies are admitted to the Ivy League schools whereas the admission rate for non legacies is 5-10%.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #40
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Is there really any difference between rich people buying their kid's way into school ahead of the "regular" students and Bush getting to go to the head of the line to get into Yale? Or Malia Obama into Harvard or Chelsea Clinton into Stanford?
Nope.
The only acceptable standard is qualifications.
Legacy is BS.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #41
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Legacy counts in your favor but it's not automatic.The number I saw was around 30-40%(depending on the school),of legacies are admitted to the Ivy League schools whereas the admission rate for non legacies is 5-10%.
Yeah, I’m sure that the Grandson of a U.S. Senator and the son of the current US Ambassador to the United Nations and former member of The House, get turned away all the time.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #42
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yeah, I’m sure that the Grandson of a U.S. Senator and the son of the current US Ambassador to the United Nations and former member of The House, get turned away all the time.
Why do you think most in Congress, but especially 'conservative' Republicans, are all in on affirmative action?

They benefited by it more than any other group or race -- let's be honest about it.

The brain power of the entire Kennedy clan, plus the Bushies, and to a smaller extent the Clinton and Obama siblings, wouldn't qualify any of them entrance into a backwater junior college if it wasn't for their luck in the gene-pool lottery.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #43
HalvOnHorseracing

[quote=JustRalph;2440852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post

Donations, bribes..is there really a difference? I guarantee the Bush's were generous donors.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #44
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Why do you think most in Congress, but especially 'conservative' Republicans, are all in on affirmative action?

They benefited by it more than any other group or race -- let's be honest about it.

The brain power of the entire Kennedy clan, plus the Bushies, and to a smaller extent the Clinton and Obama siblings, wouldn't qualify any of them entrance into a backwater junior college if it wasn't for their luck in the gene-pool lottery.

So true...but you forgot a SIGNIFICANT person....rhymes with dump, rump, stump, mump, bump, ....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 PM   #45
MargieRose

I think the real issue is being missed here. It's not about preferential treatment because of legacy or donations, which is usually not done on the sly. The schools are fully aware of the big donors and the 'prestige' kids, and they are accepted with open and legal arms.

The real issue is about the clandestine activities, the cheating and bribes benefiting only the individuals involved in the fraudulent scheme. Are these not crimes that rise to the level of shocking and require more attention than just a 'what's the difference' attitude?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: