Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #61
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
I wonder if Baffert now tries to take either to the Rebel?
I wonder now id Baffert will move his operation. I have a strong feeling Santa Anita will be closed a long time and even when they return, their future will be on shaky grounds.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #62
cutchemist42

This is just getting bad....its going to keep getting attention.

Just saw Jen Morrison post that Woodbine is achieving 0.58 deaths per 1000 starts. So glad my Summer money goes there, and dont know why the industry doesnt follow the lead. We live in a environment that just banned greyhounds. It needs to be better...

Last edited by cutchemist42; 03-05-2019 at 08:33 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2019, 10:32 PM   #63
anotherCAfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
didnt know Mcanally still trained; must be pushing 90 years old
He doesn't have a big barn anymore. This would affect him more than the super trainers
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #64
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
DRF Live --
by Steve Andersen , Santa Anita | 2019-03-05
Santa Anita: Track cancels racing indefinitely:
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47243-sa...g-indefinitely

-jp

Wow. No Santa Anita Handicap. That's gigantic.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #65
dilanesp

Also, if I ran the BC, I would be giving Churchill a call right now.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 AM   #66
dilanesp

One other thing. One of the stories mentioned sealing the track during rainstorms as a cause.

You know, we have had super rainy seasons in the past and they didn't used to seal. They would let the track go to muddy, then good, then fast, over 3 days or so.

Could it be they are sealing because they want to get it back to fast quicker, because of the horse shortage and the fear of scratches, and that is causing the problems?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:04 AM   #67
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Could it be they are sealing because they want to get it back to fast quicker, because of the horse shortage and the fear of scratches, and that is causing the problems?
I am pretty sure that is the case. Pack it down in cement-like fashion so the water doesn't try to penetrate too far down into the base. I am unable to find the quote that their previous track superintendent (now rehired) stated how rain affects it - and it was not in a good way either. Since it is raining today and tomorrow, I hope he is at least out there observing it while it is raining and not after the fact. Another storm system is moving in around March 11th, so I hope there will be answers soon.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #68
spiketoo

The current track super Andy LoRocco has been there 37 years and according to Paulick was Moore's chief asst for the past 5 years and I quote him via Paulick from late Dec:

'I worked with Dennis when he first came and re-did the main track with El Segundo Sand, which has been the safest surface we've ever had here. I believe Santa Anita is the top track in the country and I know I speak for my entire crew when I say we're ready and that we will continue to have the same track maintenance program that we've had the past five years.'

So, what changed here other than Moore leaving? I want to think his subordinate knew how to do most things here. Did track mgmt tell him to do things differently to 'preserve' their product?
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #69
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Made the Mainstream media -
Just had a story on FOX news. Actual story, not just a blurb.

21 dead horses now.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #70
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
The current track super Andy LoRocco has been there 37 years and according to Paulick was Moore's chief asst for the past 5 years and I quote him via Paulick from late Dec:

'I worked with Dennis when he first came and re-did the main track with El Segundo Sand, which has been the safest surface we've ever had here. I believe Santa Anita is the top track in the country and I know I speak for my entire crew when I say we're ready and that we will continue to have the same track maintenance program that we've had the past five years.'

So, what changed here other than Moore leaving? I want to think his subordinate knew how to do most things here. Did track mgmt tell him to do things differently to 'preserve' their product?
37 years ago, as I note, they only rarely sealed a track and usually just let it dry out over 3 days.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #71
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Made the Mainstream media -
Just had a story on FOX news. Actual story, not just a blurb.

21 dead horses now.
Turn out the lights......the party's over
Old 03-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #72
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post

Those that argue it is not the track surface add more fuel to the PETA claim the cause of the deaths are overuse of drugs. In the long run it would be best for it to be the track surface or they may win a battle but lose the war.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #73
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Yesterday afternoon between races at SUN and TUP I was catching up on recent horse racing news and reading some articles on The Paulick Report -- and I noticed Ray was running a poll that asked the question:
  • "What do you think is the leading cause of racing fatalities across the country?"

Right now as I type this the answer with the highest response rate at 34.6% is:
  • "Medication/drug usage"

If I'm not mistaken, horse people make up a big pct of the demographics at Ray's site.

If that's the case, I'm kind of surprised that Medication/drug usage is coming in as the number 1 answer.

(I'm guessing a few thousand responses at this point.)

-jp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaulickReportPoll03052019.JPG (40.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #74
cutchemist42

Just saw on Twitter Sports Illustrated running a segment on if the sport should even exist in this day and age. This is some bad stuff getting out...

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/110...828331521?s=19

Last edited by cutchemist42; 03-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #75
bello
Veteran

It does not matter if people are informed or not. Making horse racing illegal will go to a vote by the population and it will lose in a landslide. Just like dog racing did a few month back.

I have been beaten up over and over about this on this very board when I saw horses that were put on the track by alleged top connection that were unfit to race.

" Oh but that is part of the claiming game" or some other baloney.

I was called a troll when I warned PETA will get involved if there is not more self discipline!

Well the chickens are coming home to roost. And this troll and horse player has been warning about it since I joined the forum. I think it was my 12th post that the Little Guy pointed out how this no-it-all (Me) was budding in when an old gamester from CharlesTown was being run into the ground.

Sorry I am not a troll, but I am certainly a hypocrite, continuing to bet the game despite the crap they put into the horses to get them on the track for one more race or to gain an edge.