Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

"I'm disappointed with the trip", Brown said

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-win-preakness

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Fightingirish51195

Maybe Jose went against him. I think Jose did the right thing. Justify might’ve won by 10 if he let him go (maybe some hyperbole here
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

During the TV telecast, Jerry Bailey said that if he were riding today, he'd go to the lead and wouldn't care what anybody told him (because speed was holding so well in the earlier races).
Maybe Jose was watching.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Ortiz takes the blame, says not his best ride

http://www.drf.com/news/i-messed-say...c-jockey-ortiz
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
elysiantraveller

I don't know how you can really blame the ride there though. Found himself inside without any other speed to keep the favorite honest.

Of course you'd rather be outside but...

Good Magic was more than game in that race.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I don't know how you can really blame the ride there though. Found himself inside without any other speed to keep the favorite honest.

Of course you'd rather be outside but...

Good Magic was more than game in that race.
It felt like there was pace but with all the riders sending the real pace (Justify) out ran them, and Ortiz broke well. Bad spot, I dont blame him at all.

He dueled the whole way and was only beaten a length or so, tremendous effort and horse he is.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
Fightingirish51195

Feel bad for Jose. It’s not his fault. Maybe if he broke from the 7 hole he wins. We will never know
Old 05-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
It felt like there was pace but with all the riders sending the real pace (Justify) out ran them, and Ortiz broke well. Bad spot, I dont blame him at all.

He dueled the whole way and was only beaten a length or so, tremendous effort and horse he is.
Have to wait on some figures and they should be accurate with the Barton right before to see... but I suspect both may have bounced a bit and still carried the field while dueling.

Honestly if posts were switched outcome could have been different... never know.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Ortiz takes the blame, says not his best ride

http://www.drf.com/news/i-messed-say...c-jockey-ortiz
Silly talk. About the only thing he could have done better was push harder to get in front a little.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Have to wait on some figures and they should be accurate with the Barton right before to see... but I suspect both may have bounced a bit and still carried the field while dueling.

Honestly if posts were switched outcome could have been different... never know.
I dont know if Justify wants any part of 12F but I do know that trip today is underated, duel for that far with a good horse and still prevail. Not easy at all.

I think that was his C effort, his A race is not at 10F or 12F, he wins those on sheer talent.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I dont know if Justify wants any part of 12F but I do know that trip today is underated, duel for that far with a good horse and still prevail. Not easy at all.

I think that was his C effort, his A race is not at 10F or 12F, he wins those on sheer talent.
Yeah I wasn't knocking him at all.

Both the first and fourth finishers ran brilliant races to finish like that even if it wasn't top of form cycle for either of them.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Brown likes riders the grab.
Ortiz did the only thing he could have done.
That is how good horse race - they take it to the competition,n not sit back and hide like Brown likes do.

The better horse beat him and Brown can cry all he wants to .
Blaming it on the rider is pretty classless IMHO....but Brown has never impressed me as having any class.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #13
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Silly talk. About the only thing he could have done better was push harder to get in front a little.
Agree. I hope that was just company talk because I thought Ortiz road GM to win. Anything else allows Justify to just Magnum Moon this field. After his last two races I can definitely say GM proved me wrong (never was high on him myself) but now I have total respect for that horse, Justify is just better.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
Fightingirish51195

Looks like most of us agree that if justify had the lead on his own, he probably wins this race for fun, and that possibly the only thing that might’ve changed the outcome, meaning a good magic win, was post position
Old 05-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #15
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yeah, these riders should not apologize for trying to win. If he lets Justify cross over to the inside, sure, Good Magic may have finished second, but he would have had no chance to win and the race would have been boring. Instead, we got a thrilling race with an exciting finish and Good Magic tested Justify. Horseracing, like all sports, and gambling, is a form of entertainment. The horse's and riders put on a good show, and Jose Ortiz made it interesting by being aggressive.

Years ago in a major harness race, a great horseman from Europe, Stig Johansson, came over to race in the Breeders Crown Trot with a great trotter named Victory Tilly. He had a tough post and there was a strong American trotter in the race, Fool's Goal, who drew inside of Victory Tilly. Anyway, Fool's Goal gunned to the lead and Victory Tilly left and tucked second. But then Stig pulled Victory out of the two hole on the final turn and went after Fool's Goal. They battled but Victory Tilly weakened late and finished third. The next week they met again and Victory Tilly got the better post and won and set a world record.

But after the Breeders Crown loss, when talking to the media, Stig Johansson said, "I could have stayed in second and I'm sure we would have finished second. But I didn't come here to finish second. I gave my horse a chance to win."

I'm glad to see most of us agree and understand that Jose tried to win the race.

Last edited by pandy; 05-19-2018 at 11:29 PM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: