Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Grits

Parallels: The Olympics and Thoroughbred Racing

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#disqus_thread

Quote:
"It goes without saying that at the end of day, the tenets of fairness, health, and clean competition are the ultimate goal," Tygart said. "I have yet to hear or see any reason your industry or any other industry or sport that wants to protect its integrity can't go through and have success having a similar process. There is federal legislation out there (for the horse industry). It didn't take federal legislation in the Olympic movement around the world.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
clocker7
Veteran

I would watch this Tygart guy as closely as possible. He tries to present himself as a shy, reluctant invitee, but I'm not buying. Read the article. It's clear that he is up to his eyeballs behind the scenes.

The money quote is a doozie:

Quote:
Tygart said that even if the federal legislation is enacted, the various stakeholders within the horse industry would still have the ultimate authority of how a drug enforcement plan is carried out.
Whoever believes this is a fraggin low-down, braindead grade A sap. This is Obamacare for Horses.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker7
I would watch this Tygart guy as closely as possible. He tries to present himself as a shy, reluctant invitee, but I'm not buying. Read the article. It's clear that he is up to his eyeballs behind the scenes.

The money quote is a doozie:

Whoever believes this is a fraggin low-down, braindead grade A sap. This is Obamacare for Horses.
At this point, what difference does it make? The industry has proven it can't police itself.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
clocker7
Veteran

Here's an eye-opening article that paints quite a different picture from the rosy one given to his rapt WHOA audience. His "success" with the cycling sport is proving to be a little more ephemeral than purists realize:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/...cycling-doping
Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
At this point, what difference does it make?
That was the attitude toward the real Obamacare ... you remember, how insurance companies were ripping you off, blah blah blah ... throw in the towel, try something, anything ....

Proving again that a cure is often worse the the original disease.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
clocker7
Veteran

I suspect that this character Tygart has a dream endgame for all sports: not just federal oversight, but international control.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...esting-program

Quote:
Tygart advocates the World Anti-Doping Agency code for the NBA, which would mean an end to the league-run testing program.
Tygart is on a mission, and has been meddling and lobbying hard everywhere.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

In an era of crony capitalism, it seems inevitable he will cozy up to the right guys eventually, at our expense.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Two excellent excerpts from the Tygart speech:

“it has become abundantly clear that the many rules and regulations spread across 38 different racing jurisdictions and the vested interests of so many groups involved in the horse industry are not unlike those faced by the International Olympic Committee and U.S. Olympic Committee in the 1990s.”

“Whether through USADA or some other body, Tygart said the most important elements of an effective drug oversight mechanism are not just the policies that are adopted but how those policies are enforced.”

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
clocker7
Veteran

Whose else finds it humorous that this proposal for federal control was posted on April 15th?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Whose else finds it humorous that this proposal for federal control was posted on April 15th?
No one.

You are in a class by yourself.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That was the attitude toward the real Obamacare ... you remember, how insurance companies were ripping you off, blah blah blah ... throw in the towel, try something, anything ....

Proving again that a cure is often worse the the original disease.
I know nothing about Obama care, nor will I ever. But I know about racing, and it is the wild west out there.

Personally, I'd prefer we get some Deadwood type justice going.

Last edited by cj; 04-15-2014 at 05:10 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I know nothing about Obama care, nor will I ever. But I know about racing, and it is the wild west out there.
Due diligence would mean looking into the background of past federal performance, wouldn't it?

What you said is a little weird. You wouldn't cede control over another important segment of your life without doing some basic checking. Are you that desperate? It almost sounds like bridge-jumping.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

I have been involved with Triathlon and Cycling about as long as I have with Horse Racing. There are incredible similarities between the three sports that I have seen first hand over the decades. And now, the USOC (U.S. Olympic Committee) enforces anti-doping stringently. Professional Athletes as well as Age Group Athletes are subject to Doping rules and regulations. Lance Armstrong, Tyler Hamilton, and other TDF Cycling Stars were the final nails in that tight box of rules.

For years athletes have tried to increase VO2 Max with supplements as well as workout routines. Our Olympic Training Center is in Colorado Springs and that helps build endurance at altitude, but otherwise, companies like GNC have done well marketing to athletes to help them increase their stamina.

Speed and Pace are also highly timed and recorded with endurance athletes.

One different I've noticed over the years is that no one is wagering on Ironman competition. Yet.

Tour De France? Yep. Wagering is to be had.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
And now, the USOC (U.S. Olympic Committee) enforces anti-doping stringently. Professional Athletes as well as Age Group Athletes are subject to Doping rules and regulations. Lance Armstrong, Tyler Hamilton, and other TDF Cycling Stars were the final nails in that tight box of rules.
Well, then you have a considerably different worldview from that of the Mr. Tygart cited in the OP. He still thinks that cycling is dragging its feet. I'll post the link again for your edification. Enjoy.

PS: you can find many similar articles regarding Tygart and his outlook re cycling. Google is your friend.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Well, then you have a considerably different worldview from that of the Mr. Tygart cited in the OP. He still thinks that cycling is dragging its feet. I'll post the link again for your edification. Enjoy.

PS: you can find many similar articles regarding Tygart and his outlook re cycling. Google is your friend.

I get what he is saying. Enforcement is the issue. I've been VERY involved in Endurance Sports on just about EVERY level since 1989. And I mean EVERY level. I speak from experience. The USOC and sub groups (USA Triathlon, USA Cycling, USA Track and Field, etc) are stepping in line.

This article even stated the Armstrong incident that I outlined above.
That really jump-started things.

Last edited by BettinBilly; 04-15-2014 at 05:48 PM.
BettinBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply