Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Who listens to suits?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Who listens to suits?
Other suits
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Somebody tell this guy that when an NFL player tests positive it's just not the same as having a hundred bucks dribble out of my pocket because a drugged horse had a sudden wake up in a race. Even if you throw in sports betting, we bet on individual competitors not teams.

It goes the other way too. I'm sure there are horses that race poorly due to drugs etc. when horses just "don't show up" I am always suspicious. Either they are sickened by the drugs or they didn't get their drugs this time out. Either way, the player is screwed.

Btw, did anyone remind him that the "other sports" have willing participants as opposed to animals with no input on whether they take the drugs or where they compete. I think it does make a difference
Totally untrue about sports betting especially football. That's why most people suck. You ALWAYS bet the team over the individual unless the teams are relatively equal. That's how you win betting it!

But the rest is so true.....These jackasses in sports DECIDE to shoot up or have some guy do it for them...Of course the accomplice eventually "Rats Out" then writes a book about it. These days when players get caught. They are screwed. Horse racing does have positive, good people. Most horses get great care. The problem is they also cover for the rejects all too often. Other sports offer very stiff penalties now, forget the stats...it doesn't matter if you deny it and let the bad eggs off. How many professional athletes have umpteen positives???? and still play?? They won't learn until they weed them out. Many times its the same people, over and over again.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I guess I should have made myself clear.

I meant that "we" when betting horses are betting on a single competitor vs sports betting that involves an entire team.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Other suits
When it suits them.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
"Let's stop talking down the sport. There are too many people whose livelihoods depend on it."

Why couldn't I be at one of those functions? I'd like a chance to respond to some comments like these...
Thaskalos,

That is why you are not invited.

"Mr. Thaskalos, please step this way. The free speech area is just over here. What? Yes, I know that the conference is in a different building."
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I'd like to see a complete list of 40% trainers, so we can examine why any particular individual is on it.

I don't care that 98% of some poll respondents say that drugs are the problem. How much time and money and effort can be expended to change that opinion? Never enough. At what point would any person with common sense say that the returns are diminishing to nothing? If every racing jurisdiction went to zero tolerance, if it was just hay, oats, and water, the perception would still be that drugs are involved, so there would be no uptick in participation - none.

Last edited by rastajenk; 04-09-2014 at 09:57 PM.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #23
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
I'd like to see a complete list of 40% trainers, so we can examine why any particular individual is on it.
Taking a look at the top 200 trainers (per equibase), only one trainer is hitting at 40%- Kevin Patterson, who is based at Charles Town and is winning at 43%. Only 9 other guys are at 30% or above: Rudy Rodriguez, Tom Amoss, Art Sherman, Federico Villafranco, Cathal Lynch, Michael Pino, Jorge Navarro, Eric Reed, and Dallas Barton.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Eric Reed is at something like 10 out of 15 at Beulah, 66%. He has some things that aren't that competitive in Kentucky or Houston or Illinois, so he ships them here. Must be a juicer. Couldn't possibly be that they're that much better than the three or four others in his races.

Art Sherman has a potential Derby favorite. He's been around a long time, he must have a good knowledge of the medicine cabinet.

How many licensed trainers are there? Thousands, I guess. That's a pretty short list for something characterized as epidemic.

Last edited by rastajenk; 04-09-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #25
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Okay, I guess I'm the only one that noticed. There's an "Association of Racing Commissioners International"??? Who pays for this? And, what have they done that's deserves this cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Who listens to suits?
How about shoes??
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #26
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I don't know Kevin Patterson, but I see that he has only 47 starts, most of them, presumably, at a mid-level track. Is he really the kind of example you want to hold up as a reason why people are betting less? I see that he has two positives going back to 1991. Yeah, juicer.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
Taking a look at the top 200 trainers (per equibase), only one trainer is hitting at 40%- Kevin Patterson, who is based at Charles Town and is winning at 43%. Only 9 other guys are at 30% or above: Rudy Rodriguez, Tom Amoss, Art Sherman, Federico Villafranco, Cathal Lynch, Michael Pino, Jorge Navarro, Eric Reed, and Dallas Barton.
It could be argued that the training profession has gotten more competitive -- and the winning percentages are dropping -- because more trainers are juicing.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #28
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Anything could be "argued." That doesn't get us any closer to the truth.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #29
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Anything could be "argued." That doesn't get us any closer to the truth.
Oh...you are looking for the "truth"?

Judging from your posts in this thread...I got the impression that your mind was already made up.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #30
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
It could be argued that the training profession has gotten more competitive -- and the winning percentages are dropping -- because more trainers are juicing.
Or, they know the heat is on, its on the street, so they're 'laying low'

yeah, the heat is.

On.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply