Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > 2012 PaceAdvantage Challenge Series, sponsored by RDSS > RDSS Sartin/Bradshaw Mem 'Road to the Roses' (Mar 10 – Apr 21, 2012)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #91
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
in the future I would suggest having everyone click on a poll or whatever (like the one you set up a while ago) which confirms yes I have read and understand the rules before the contest begins.
I agree and will lobby that with Jay.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #92
TurfRuler

Congratulations to highrider for his big score!!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #93
Ted Craven

I want to congratulate highrider for his smashing top result in this contest - well done and you have lived up here to your well chosen name! And well done Turkoman for a clear second place finish - I just could not manage to push enough of the right buttons in the final week, and you did!

As I write this, the Contest results are not yet official but it looks like 3 more players are closely ranked for 3rd overall money, with Golf and Horses the leading contender there. Congratulations!

The battle for RDSS bonus prizes was also incredibly hot with Patrick the truckdriver (pktruckdriver) and Budman in the narrowest of photos, with Patrick apparently a .40 cent whisker ahead!!? Bob Cochran rounded out the top 3 prize qualifying RDSS players. Well done all - Doc and Jimmy would be proud of you!

Thank you everyone for participating in this Contest honouring 2 of the handicapping world's great teachers: Howard Sartin and Jim Bradshaw. We hold this contest every year around now since Doc and Jimmy left us. I fancy they still cast some kind of lingering eye over this 'through a glass darkly' world of ours, perhaps holding court in the bar at Sartin Downs somewhere, wondering if we here get that the opportunity always was not just to 'predict the future', in some small way, of a herd of beautiful animals running an oval, but more importantly to contest against our inner selves for the chance to be a 'winner' in the game of life, off the track as well as on. Their generosity of spirit during their respective lives was a model to many, many people - most of whom thought they were trying to figure out horse racing, and some of whom also learned a whole lot more.

Thank you Doc and Jimmy!

If the contest rules were too hard to implement or keep track of, I accept responsibility as it was me who designed it. I confess I did not foresee all the ramifications of the initially simple sounding rules. It would be good to do a post-mortem to see how we can improve this kind of simulation of real-world betting. It did have one parallel to the real-world: you had to pay damn close attention to things to make it to the end.

A quote I like, and a signature line of a pro I admire: "It's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, everybody would do it." Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own

cheers,

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #94
Turkoman

Thanks, Ted. It was an awesome contest.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #95
highrider

Ted
Your friends Doc and Jimmy sound like they left a wealth of knowledge.
I learned the sport back in the 60's from my then paper route.
One of my daily stops was to a bookie joint called the Stag Cigar (Should have been the stale cigar). This was a place where race forms were free and must reading. From the age of 12-15 I was asked often what I liked today and was expected to have a well read answer. After a while sometimes I could come up with my own picks. I became the yougest player around but the house refused any bets over $10.
The old guys at the gambling tables really remind me of the pictures of your late friends. Times were sure different in so many ways. Not that everything was better or all Rosie back then.
They learned by a trial of fire and as hard as the game is were willing to help a flowndering amature.
Thanks for your interesting post and of course The Contest Support.

The same Big Thank You to.. PA,Jay, and the near impossible job of scoring by Cris. And to all who sponcer this fine event
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #96
Beachbabe

Ted, Jay and Chris...thanks again for another well-run, fun contest.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #97
TBred17Roan

Congrats to Highrider on an outstanding win. Kudos to Turkoman and to Ted Craven for hitting the board and to all who made money. Thanks to Track Collector for keeping the scores (absolutely fantastic job) and to PA and Jay Trotter for making these contests happen. I had my doubts on the formats but its been nothing but entertaining and challenging thus far. Thanks to the sponsors including Pace Advantage, RDSS and ASD for making these contests possible. As an older handicapper I remember Howard Sartin and Jim Bradshaw well. I still have my original Sartin Follow Up manuals and browse through them from time to time. The psychology of handicapping by Sartin was something I'll never forget. Its a great way to honor these guys. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #98
horses4courses

Many thanks

Thank you, Ted, for an excellent contest.
Kudos to TC for his hard work in keeping score.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #99
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

It's OFFICIAL

Hello everyone,

There have been no reports of errors, so the standings as reported in post#80 are hereby declared OFFICIAL.

Congratulations to all the winners, and a special thank you to Contest Sponsor Ted Craven (Sartinmethodology.com).

Jay will be listing all the prize winners and PACS award points any time now.

Remember too that Ted Craven, as Sponsor, will only be eligible for PACS points, with the next players in line moving into the award positions, including the RDSS bonuses for RDSS-only clients. Finishing 3rd overall speaks well for his software, as well as his personal handicapping talents!

I'm looking forward to next year's contest!

Chris
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #100
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Well, as Track Collector has indicated, the Contest is "official". Congratulations to each of the winners.

I am on the road tomorrow, so I will take care of all the housekeeping on Wednesday.

Next up is the ASD Parlay Challenge -- be sure to join us for this long standing and exciting event:

Contest 5
May 16, 2012 - July 8, 2012
ASD ULTIMATE PARLAY CHALLENGE
SPONSORED BY ASDOWNS.COM
Win/Place/Show Parlay Contest

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #101
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

CONTEST 4

THE HOWARD SARTIN/JIM BRADSHAW MEMORIAL
“ROAD TO THE ROSES”

BANKROLL BUILDER CHALLENGE

OFFICIAL RESULTS

1st Place - highrider

$250.00 Cash

Winner's Trophy sponsored by ASD

...1 RDSS Data Prize – “3 months Unlimited data including Result Charts and Past Performances, value $449.95
(RDSS custom data by TrackMaster) along with a complimentary RDSS software subscription
for the same 3 month period ($30/quarter, $100/year).
Plus 2 hours of direct one-on-one mentoring Total Package Value $480.00 ...”

2nd Place - Turkoman
$150.00 Cash

3rd Place - Golf and Horses
$100.00 Cash
*Note: Ted Craven finished 3rd but is ineligible for Prizes

RDSS BONUS PRIZES
An additional $500 to the Top 3 RDSS subscribers

1st Place RDSS - pktruckdriver
$250.00 Cash

2nd Place RDSS - budman
$150.00 Cash

3rd Place RDSS - Bob Cochran
$100.00 Cash

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #102
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

ROAD TO THE ROSES P.A.C.S. POINTS

Code:

Bankroll 	Points	Player	   
   $10,471.55 	3000	highrider 	  
   $ 4,450.00 	2250	Turkoman	   
   $ 3,786.10 	1750	Ted Craven (RDSS)	   
   $ 3,188.50 	1500	Golf and Horses	   
   $ 3,142.40 	1300	098poi	   
   $ 3,105.50 	1125	Stan717	   
   $ 2,550.00 	975	don23	   
   $ 2,432.00 	850	ten2oneormore	   
   $ 2,428.40 	750	pktruckdriver (RDSS)	   
   $ 2,428.00 	700	budman (RDSS)	   
   $ 2,415.50 	675	Red Knave	   
   $ 2,291.40 	650	horses4courses	   
   $ 2,119.50 	625	TBred17Roan	   
   $ 2,019.70 	600	Bob Cochran (RDSS)	   
   $ 1,944.60 	200	HuggingTheRail	   
   $ 1,718.40 	200	FiveWide	   
   $ 1,608.90 	200	parshooter	   
   $ 1,366.50 	200	Jay Trotter	   
   $ 1,302.00 	200	MONEY	   
   $ 1,293.10 	200	iwearpurple	   
   $ 1,220.20 	200	Boe777 (RDSS)	   
   $ 1,083.80 	200	scb5679	   
   $ 1,063.50 	200	camourous	   
   $ 1,044.70 	200	LAP 520	   
   $ 1,029.00 	200	Track Collector	   
   $   979.00 	200	touchofsoul	   
   $   899.40 	200	Immanuel Kant	   
   $   891.45 	200	pat5336	   
   $   872.00 	200	Beachbabe	   
   $   869.50 	200	FunkyMonkey	   
   $   805.00 	200	Gary~G1	   
   $   692.55 	200	jfejr67	   
   $   642.60 	200	tiger rose	   
   $   249.60 	200	Maumeeriverangler	   
   $   184.70 	200	buffaloxp (RDSS)	   

DNQ 	0	Dahoss9698	   
   DNQ 	0	Brian O'Rourke (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	goatchaser	   
   DNQ 	0	Tom	   
   DNQ 	0	Shemp Howard	   
   DNQ 	0	funnsss1	   
   DNQ 	0	moneyandland	   
   DNQ 	0	GaryG	   
   DNQ 	0	woodtoo	   
   DNQ 	0	BIG RED	   
   DNQ 	0	jacklantern	   
   DNQ 	0	eclecticapper	   
   DNQ 	0	shouldacoulda	   
   DNQ 	0	malickdo (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	Gapfire	   
   DNQ 	0	So Cal Al (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	Golf man (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	Kahunab (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	canadagoose (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	xristos (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	eddy1	   
   DNQ 	0	notoutofpounds	   
   DNQ 	0	dogkatcher (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	pilot12321 (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	FlyinLate	   
   DNQ 	0	turninforhome10	   
   DNQ 	0	joemc44	   
   DNQ 	0	cdax (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	HARVICK 29	   
   DNQ 	0	gaz	   
   DNQ 	0	Idiatone	   
   DNQ 	0	davefulche	   
   DNQ 	0	maclr11	   
   DNQ 	0	mrhorseplayer	   
   DNQ 	0	turfeyejoe	   
   DNQ 	0	bpiets	   
   DNQ 	0	TurfRuler	   
   DNQ 	0	ndsc32	   
   DNQ 	0	WarEmblem	   
   DNQ 	0	Fwizard	   
   DNQ 	0	Fastracehorse	   
   DNQ 	0	AlbertButtry	   
   DNQ 	0	mudcat	   
   DNQ 	0	Indypacer	   
   DNQ 	0	oneg12	   
   DNQ 	0	Aner	   
   DNQ 	0	gfnut (RDSS)	   
   DNQ 	0	JETSWIN
See Cumulative P.A.C.S. Points Standings here

Jim Schoenfeld

Last edited by Jay Trotter; 04-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #103
don23

Thanks to Ted Craven, Jay Trotter, Track Collector and all the others who made this contest possible.

This contest proved to be more of a challenge than the others. Having manditory races and a limit on how many races to be played, as well as a cutoff time to end the contest, stretched my record keeping more than a little.

Of course, that will help with live play later this year. A free contest that is challenging and fun to play equals a gigantic plus to me. Sure hope you can keep the format for next year.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #104
Ted Craven

Congratulations to all the Prize winners! Patrick - congratulations on your first place prize in the RDSS division - it's not your first contest prize, I know Keep up the good work, buddy! Also, please reply to my email about where to send the $$$.

I want to acknowledge the generous financial contributions to the RDSS bonus prize by 2 individuals: Bill V (aka Binder, my PAIHL teammate) and Craig N (dcn7272, of PAIHL Team Texas RDSS). Craig and his team are still going strong into the PAIHL semi-finals, and Bill V's personal results in the PAIHL through our quarter-final elimination, handily exceeded our overall team's performance. Gentlemen - thank you for your long-term support of Doc Sartin's work and of RDSS, and best wishes to you in everything you do (and go Team Texas)!

Lastly, I also wish to thank all those who choose to use me as a referring agent when they sign up with the Player's Organization offering ADW rebates. Commissions earned are helping to fund all the cash prizes I am able to offer in the PaceAdvantage Challenge Series this year. I wish you all great success!

Anyone who wishes to know more about this rebate opportunity, simply follow the link below.

Thank you all for this opportunity to be a part of this great Contest series - it was a lot of fun. Looking forward to matching wits with you all again as the Contest series progresses!

Ted

Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #105
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Ted ,

Thank you so much, I am honored to be the Top RDSS, guy, well actually 2nd behind you yourself, great showing Sir.

1st . Let me say cudos to BUDMAN, I was sure you had me and then I guess another was disqualified by not having enough races or so, but I am surprised, and wish to say I feel guilty winning by .40, man that is very close Photo Finish

2nd. Let me say thanks to "Bossman", Mike, Chris and Jay, they did a great job as always.

3rd The most important part here, was I could not have done this without RDSS2 , it makes it so easy, and fun , all I can say about it is, try it out for free and you tell me, so easy a "truck driver" can use it, lol

Thanks all

Patrick

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: