Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 PM   #31
metro

Best hit was a P6 for 24K.

Best memory though was a race at Keeneland.

Many years ago I worked as an accountant, on salary, for a company in Nicholasville, KY and had some freedom to come and go as long as the work was done day to day, much of the freedom included midday jaunts to Keeneland in the spring and fall. On this particular (pre-simulcasting) fall day I was planning on leaving early to play a 2nd time starter in a MSW for 2 year old fillies.

I was also a go to guy for our company president if he needed an errand done (trips to the bank, taking his Mercedes in for service, picking up clients at the airport, etc.), this day he asked me late if I could pick his son up at school, reluctantly I agreed not wanting to give away my other plans. Was heading out to run the errand when I saw our other company go to guy on the way to my car. Asked him if he could do the errand and he replied "no problem" so I was off to Keeneland....in a hurry!

Get to Keeneland with just a few minutes to post on the race so there wasn't time for any late handicapping or wagering strategy, just winged it wheeling my horse with all in a $2 ex and a $10 wps ticket. Race goes off while I'm still at the window, work my way out to the grandstand to see my horse win by open lengths, and not knowing who to root for 2nd just wait until they hit the wire then turn to the infield tote and see the place horse was 99-1 and a runner I wouldn't have used if I had time to double check my handicapping. Winner paid around $40, want to say the exacta came back around $2500 and the across the board came back just shy of $400. Needless to say my work buddy got a nice gratuity!

Corey Black rode that winner, a 2 year old filly named La Gueriere who would go on to win some Graded stakes on the turf including the Queen Elizabeth II at Keeneland a year later. Thinking this was early 90s.

Last edited by metro; 08-30-2019 at 11:57 PM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #32
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

It was April 12, 1991 when La Gueriere won as a FTS at 9-1:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2019, 01:55 AM   #33
jay68802

One of my top 10 bests was the Florida Derby this year. 9/2 (Maximum Security) over 60/something for 1 (Bodesexpress), for the exacta, also had the tri with (Code of Honor) at 9/5 in third. Had this quite a few times. It has gotten harder to hit something like this with the jackpot bets being in the "thing" now. Best thing about this one was I posted it here.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #34
metro

I could have sworn she was a 2nd time starter, must have mixed her up with another filly baby race. Nice find on the race though. Met William Connelly years later but forgot he trained the bomb that ran 2nd.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #35
Special Butter
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I won $96,000 on a twin trifecta in 1986. I was 25 years old at the time...and I immediately quit my job to become a professional gambler. I was begging my boss for my job back four months later.
Something like that happened to me. I won like $750 on a $2.50 slot bet and played some more and ended up leaving with like $1,000. I had won a month's worth of wages in just one day. I had a crazy thought of "You can quit your job to become a Professional Gambler!" The next rational hought was,"Don't do it!" I was grateful I didn't quit my job to become a Professional Gambler because I never really ever had another $1,000 winning day and would have been SCREWED had I followed through with that crazy stunt.
Special Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #36
cutchemist42

HPI doesnt qllow me to go far enough back but the biggest odds I ever won on a win bet was a Mountaineer bomb at about 70/1. Was probably 4 years ago.

I remember vague details but the horse was actually top 3 competitive on the Brisnet class ratings and it was a turf stretch out. I dont know if I have my Mtn turf distances right but I remember it going from a 5f turf sprint to a 7f race which might be 2 turns there. Closed extremely well, did not steal it on the front.

So basically, for competitive class ratings I took a stab at 71.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #37
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
I have never had any sort of life changing score. Multiple times I have cashed larger (in my eyes) pick 4 and 5's and trifectas, but nothing over $3000. Ever. And I play enough. I also stick my neck out to be in the position to do it, but shorter horses seem to always get in the way...
I have never had life-changing scores either. A few thousand is the most I have cashed for, and not on particularly spectacular bets, just horses that I hammered in the win pool.

The score I am most proud of was in the 2012 Breeders' Cup. One day after winning more than $1000 on Calidoscopio in the BC Marathon, I played two $2 combinations in the Double between the BC Sprint and the BC Turf, singling Trinniburg, who I felt was always a brilliant sprinter and had been mishandled on the TC trail, and using two horses, including Little Mike, in the turf. The double paid something like $768. It wasn't a ton of money, but it was a great hit.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #38
1GCFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I have never had life-changing scores either. A few thousand is the most I have cashed for, and not on particularly spectacular bets, just horses that I hammered in the win pool.

The score I am most proud of was in the 2012 Breeders' Cup. One day after winning more than $1000 on Calidoscopio in the BC Marathon, I played two $2 combinations in the Double between the BC Sprint and the BC Turf, singling Trinniburg, who I felt was always a brilliant sprinter and had been mishandled on the TC trail, and using two horses, including Little Mike, in the turf. The double paid something like $768. It wasn't a ton of money, but it was a great hit.

Brings back unpleasant memories. Thought both would be run down in the stretch. Wrong!!

Probably the best place these days for a big score is at the harness races. Small pools often send out 1-5 and 1/9 horses that should be even money at best. Last Saturday at the Meadows a Ron Burke horse at 94-1 beat a 6-5 in a stakes. A 89-1 shot was third. They were paying some alls' in the tri and super.

Later that day at Pocono a 1/9 finished second to a 27-1 shot first and a 40-1 third resulting in one winning .50 tri and two winning .10 supers.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #39
castaway01

I don't have any Pick 6 or five-figure wins like some of you guys, but I think my top 2 were a Pick 4 at Delaware and one large (for me) win bet.

The Delaware win I remember in the last leg I had the favorite with a will-pay of about $500 and a 10-1 shot that would pay $4400 if it won (I think it was half of the whole pool). The 10-1 shot wired the field by a couple lengths.

The other bet was after a rough streak where I was ready to pack it in for a bit. I had $400-something in my wagering account and bet all I had left to win on a Thomas Amoss off-the-claim at Churchill (this was probably 10 or 12 years ago). Horse was 9-2 ML, went off at 11-1, and won by 5. For me, it was a big win.

And the wagering account stayed open for another 10 or 12 years...
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #40
AMPHAR

I hit a Pick 3 $500+ and at Saratoga a couple years ago. Then hit another for $400+ the next day

I’m mostly a minimum player (Exacta and Pick 3s) so I was jacked. I’ve been chasing the Grander score for a while.

Every know and then I’ll get 2 out of 3 and be alive for $1,000+ in the 3rd but it hasn’t worked out yet.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #41
AMPHAR

My favorite score was Blame at 6-1 or something like that over Zenyatta in BC classic. Good memory of my Dad and my brother singing Blame it on the Blame like Milli Vanilli on the way out to the car.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #42
coachv30

I was 16 years old and worked at a 7-Eleven down the road from PARX which was Philadelphia Park then; I had just got my driver's license. Some of the old Philly jockeys such as Victor Molina, Jeff Lloyd and Stew Elliot to name a few used to frequent the store late at night. It got me into racing. I would get off work at 9 PM on Saturday night and head up to the track for a while. One night I brought $100 with me which was a lot at the time for a 16 YO. Sam Houston had huge fields and I was boxing the three longest shots in $2 exactas. It seemed as if every race had two or three of 99-1 shots then. I still remember the numbers, (3,7) came out in a 12 horse field, 99/1 over 87/1. It paid over $10,000 for a $2 play.

I couldn't cash the ticket because I was 16 YO. I took it home and broke to my dad the bad news first (I really don't work til 11:00 on Saturdays, I go to the track for 2 hours) and the good news, I'm holding a ticket worth over $10K. He got over the bad news quickly.

Last edited by coachv30; 09-10-2019 at 11:07 PM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #43
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
I was 16 years old and worked at a 7-Eleven down the road from PARX which was Philadelphia Park then; I had just got my driver's license. Some of the old Philly jockeys such as Victor Molina, Jeff Lloyd and Stew Elliot to name a few used to frequent the store late at night. It got me into racing. I would get off work at 9 PM on Saturday night and head up to the track for a while. One night I brought $100 with me which was a lot at the time for a 16 YO. Sam Houston had huge fields and I was boxing the three longest shots in $2 exactas. It seemed as if every race had two or three of 99-1 shots then. I still remember the numbers, (3,7) came out in a 12 horse field, 99/1 over 87/1. It paid over $10,000 for a $2 play.

I couldn't cash the ticket because I was 16 YO. I took it home and broke to my dad the bad news first (I really don't work til 11:00 on Saturdays, I go to the track for 2 hours) and the good news, I'm holding a ticket worth over $10K. He got over the bad news quickly.
I was in that 7-11 a bunch of times. I MUST have known you, even if I didn't know who you were. And based on this story, I wish did know you because you seem cool as hell.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #44
therover

The Derby this year.

Had $100 WP on Country House. Picked it based on a spot play route system I am working on that is doing very well straight win betting. Country House fit all the parameters so I took a shot.

Was going to also play 20/All for $2, $10 straight exacta's 20/1, 20/7, 20/13 and a $5 exacta box 1-7-13-20 but decided against it since for most of the year, I have had no luck hitting exacta's (or any vertical/horizontal bets) but been doing well just win betting. Went WP because of the odds and it was the Derby. Should have stuck to my guns and bet $200 to win but if I did that, they would have kept Maximum Security up !

Took $9,400 from the teller and gave her the rest. Yes, I got lucky. Thought I would pick up a nice place price at first and was happy I was going to make some money.

Would have never in my wildest dreams think they would take Maximum Security down.
therover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #45
therover

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
I was 16 years old and worked at a 7-Eleven down the road from PARX which was Philadelphia Park then;
coach...did you ever frequent Liberty Bell back in the day or Garden State Park ?
therover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply