Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
dilanesp

Suffolk downs

I stopped by here on my vacation. The track is BEAUTIFUL. Anyone who comes to Boston should pay a visit.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Suff
Beat up 💪

See it now.

Its almost over for Suffolk. Development rights are sold and its in play for Amazon HQ, and if not that, mixed use commercial, retail and residential.

I like this pic of the subway station because it shows 2 tracks.. Wonderland Greyhound Park also had its own stop. Suffolk all day, Wonderland till midnight, then revere beach for party.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg suffolk downs.jpg (127.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg suffolk_downs17.jpg (236.4 KB, 52 views)
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Its almost over for Suffolk. Development rights are sold and its in play for Amazon HQ, and if not that, mixed use commercial, retail and residential.

I like this pic of the subway station because it shows 2 tracks.. Wonderland Greyhound Park also had its own stop. Suffolk all day, Wonderland till midnight, then revere beach for party.
It is a significant loss. This place is really nice.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Suff
Beat up 💪

Taking Family business on the road is NOT acceptable.

Yes it is, and its good to focus on that. However, do you read Barstool Sports? I listen to the Sirius XM station because its funny and good. They're all Boston peeps including David Portnoy who's founder , CEO.

I guess he's a real big shot now, up at Saratoga in a shiny blue suit and fancy tie. He looked like a rich kid from connecticut. Twit.

it was Andy Serling? I think it was Andy during a talking horses segment that had him on for an interview about racing and Suffolk Downs comes up.

Where Portnoy says, "Suffolk sucks, I know" and Andy tries to bail him out by saying something like, yea tough times, was a nice track, and David Portnoy then double downs.. No It sucks, but its ok, Its great to be here now.

To which I say... He broke a cardinal rule there. You do not bash your home town while on the road. Never do that! And in NY of all places.

And Suffolk doesn't suck David, YOU suck!

Next time I see him, I intend to bitch slap him out of whatever pussy-ass suit he's wearing.

Last edited by Suff; 08-26-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I stopped by here on my vacation. The track is BEAUTIFUL. Anyone who comes to Boston should pay a visit.
I have never been too bad it is going away
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
lamboguy

there actually were 2 beautiful tracks in New England. Narragansett and Rockingham.

i have an old program fro Gansett that had SEABISCIT. he was #6 in the 5th race on June 26, 1935. back then they were getting ten cents for the program.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
TrackingTVG
Apprentice

This is my "home track", and I cant imagine anyone thinking its beautiful. Its a dump that reaks of degenerates.

I will take the 2.5 hour ride for 4 weeks straight to saratoga, rather than spend one day there.
TrackingTVG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
Waquoit

One last card in September. I saw Cigar there. Allen and Madeleine Paulson came by by helicopter. Landed in the infield.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackingTVG View Post
This is my "home track", and I cant imagine anyone thinking its beautiful. Its a dump that reaks of degenerates.

I will take the 2.5 hour ride for 4 weeks straight to saratoga, rather than spend one day there.
I took a bunch of pictures. It is no dump.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackingTVG View Post

Thanks. That was funny. Suffolk does have some history and the infield is pretty. And from a distance, it has charm.

I would not recommend that anybody visit Suffolk Downs right now. Unless you are race track seasoned. It does have a stench. It looks bad, like it died 10 years ago. You're 100% right.

I've been going since I was a kid, and in my 20's-30's it was a big part of my life. Before the internet or social media, Suffolk was our facebook.

That's where friends from Southie to Somerville all got together. Back in those days, the DRF was sold in just about every store in Boston, and you'd get on the T and half the train had a program in hand.

I'm sentimental about the place. I was unhappy that Portnoy bashed it on TV because there is no need for that. I understand what he said is true.

Last edited by Suff; 08-26-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
elhelmete

Quote:
Thanks. That was funny. Suffolk does have some history and the infield is pretty. And from a distance, it has charm.

I would not recommend that anybody visit Suffolk Downs right now. Unless you are race track seasoned. It does have a stench. It looks bad, like it died 10 years ago. You're 100% right.

I've been going since I was a kid, and in my 20's-30's it was a big part of my life. Before the internet or social media, Suffolk was our facebook.

That's where friends from Southie to Somerville all got together. Back in those days, the DRF was sold in just about every store in Boston, and you'd get on the T and half the train had a program in hand.

I'm sentimental about the place. I was unhappy that Portnoy bashed it on TV because there is no need for that. I understand what he said is true.
This is 1000% true and accurate, and reflects my experience as well. I grew up in the area, and before moving west lived in Winthrop where on a very quiet day I could hear the race calls across Belle Isle.

Was a great place that died years ago, and was on life support before that. Kind of like a high school beauty who never took care of herself after turning 30. A waste. A series of iffy ownership in the past coupled with incompetent state government.

That said...if you squint your eyes...it *IS* a semi-seaside track with excellent public transpo access and proximity of a young population and a city with tremendous sports history. Sounds sort of familiar right?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This is 1000% true and accurate, and reflects my experience as well. I grew up in the area, and before moving west lived in Winthrop where on a very quiet day I could hear the race calls across Belle Isle.
Things were good then. Even Wonderland was a classy place. Wonderland , along with Florida and Arizona were the top Greyhound states. We'd have shippers!! So funny to think about now. They ran the 100K Grady Sprint for Greyhounds and it was like breeders cup!

Suffolk did a big renovation around the same time, with a nice new club house restaurant. Between the two, we thought we had it by the nuts.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
elhelmete

Quote:
Things were good then. Even Wonderland was a classy place. Wonderland , along with Florida and Arizona were the top Greyhound states. We'd have shippers!! So funny to think about now. They ran the 100K Grady Sprint for Greyhounds and it was like breeders cup!

Suffolk did a big renovation around the same time, with a nice new club house restaurant. Between the two, we thought we had it by the nuts.
Turf Club is/was nice, the Terrace restaurant is/was nice. Too late now, too bad.

I thought it would be ripe for a smaller version of the new Gulfstream with shopping and local food outlets and a smaller (but nicer) seating selection.

All the students and your professionals...Take the Blue Line from downtown, hop on a cute 1 furlong shuttle from the T stop. Grab a seat at the trackside Santarpio's or Kelly's. Down a few Sam Adams or Wachusetts ales.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
lamboguy

when Mosely took the place over, he did a tremendous job cleaning the place up

as far as i know they still have a private room on the 3rd floor that you need to be a member to get in. that room probably will stay open for simulcasting until the place finally closes.

the Stronach group does a great job with their properties and hopefully they open up somewhere in New England.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Even Wonderland was a classy place.
Now you've gone a bit too far.

When was Wonderland ever a classy place?

I used to do the Suffolk by day, Wonderland by night thing back in the day (we're talking late 80s, early 90s). You must be going WAY BACK...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: