Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #91
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
its just a television show!

if a guy knew anything, do you really think he would be on the airwaves showing off his stuff?

he'd be at the windows pounding away!
Really? What if he only lost 3-5% on his own personal bets? Would you still consider that he didn't know anything?

Being a 3-5% loser is heads and tails above probably 90+% of the people out there who play this game.

Would he qualify then to be on television and also know something?

He wouldn't be good enough to make a living solely though wagering, but he'd certainly be good enough to be on television hosting a race show.

And why can't he do both? What if he is a 2-5% winner? Why wouldn't he want to both be able to wager and be on television? Whose to say both aren't very doable? I doubt they dissuade people from betting while working as a TV host at TVG...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #92
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
And why can't he do both? What if he is a 2-5% winner? Why wouldn't he want to both be able to wager and be on television? Whose to say both aren't very doable? I doubt they dissuade people from betting while working as a TV host at TVG...
PA is right, most of them do both.

At the end of the day at Keeneland, all of the TVG personalities come upstairs and bet heavily on CA. I've seen several cash tickets that they gave out on air as well. While I'm sure they don't bet everything they give out, it does happen at times.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #93
thaskalos

In my opinion...there is no better gig than to get paid to talk about something that you feel passionate about.

Even if you are a winning bettor...there is nothing wrong with having a regular paycheck coming in...
Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #94
lamboguy

Quote:
Really? What if he only lost 3-5% on his own personal bets? Would you still consider that he didn't know anything?

Being a 3-5% loser is heads and tails above probably 90+% of the people out there who play this game.

Would he qualify then to be on television and also know something?

He wouldn't be good enough to make a living solely though wagering, but he'd certainly be good enough to be on television hosting a race show.

if that guy only lost 10% of what he bet i would gladly donate $500 for the next pace advantage contest instead of the $50 i usually give.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #95
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
In my opinion...there is no better gig than to get paid to talk about something that you feel passionate about.

Even if you are a winning bettor...there is nothing wrong with having a regular paycheck coming in...

You are correct sir.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #96
tholl

Quote:
its just a television show!

if a guy knew anything, do you really think he would be on the airwaves showing off his stuff?

he'd be at the windows pounding away!
So basically you are thinking that none of the TVG/HRTV etc presenters consistently make money betting since if they did they would be "pounding away at the windows" and not "showing off their stuff on the airwaves" ??
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #97
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholl
So basically you are thinking that none of the TVG/HRTV etc presenters consistently make money betting since if they did they would be "pounding away at the windows" and not "showing off their stuff on the airwaves" ??
i can't rate HRTV because i never watch that station. i am have no idea if anyone wins or loses on TVG either. i think it is very unlikely that R. Perloff can win based on the fact that he "buys" lots of races in various sequences.

if you can prove me wrong, i will gladly send the house here $500 for the next contest to give away to all the better handicappers here that can win that contest and i will eat plenty of crow like i deserve to.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #98
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
if that guy only lost 10% of what he bet i would gladly donate $500 for the next pace advantage contest instead of the $50 i usually give.
Why are you playing a game you can't possibly win? You really have no clue how he does personally, or what he's REQUIRED to give out on air...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #99
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
i can't rate HRTV because i never watch that station. i am have no idea if anyone wins or loses on TVG either. i think it is very unlikely that R. Perloff can win based on the fact that he "buys" lots of races in various sequences.

if you can prove me wrong, i will gladly send the house here $500 for the next contest to give away to all the better handicappers here that can win that contest and i will eat plenty of crow like i deserve to.
I have no idea what his ROI is, but he doesn't buy a lot of races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #100
lamboguy

Quote:
Why are you playing a game you can't possibly win? You really have no clue how he does personally, or what he's REQUIRED to give out on air...
YOU ARE GOOD!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #101
pele polo

Most of the TVG personalities simply dont have the time to put into it to be as successful as we perceive them to be. They have regular full time jobs, being on TV, and that takes up quite a bit of time. That's my guess. But it's hard to really know what's up Perloff. He can't really expect us to take those 4 x 5 $2 Doubles serious can he?

I'm pretty sure Perloff has hinted more than a few times that he considers the actual betting a liesurely "game" and encourages a lot of the viewers to consider it the same, thats the point I wanted to share.

Last edited by pele polo; 08-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
pele polo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #102
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
i just caught him at PID this afternoon. he played 2 horses in the first race that produced a $4.60 winner, and then 5 horses in the second event that produced a $3.60 winner, and the daily double paid $12.60. but i shouldn't complain, its at least a cash and he didn't buy either race.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #103
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
i just caught him at PID this afternoon. he played 2 horses in the first race that produced a $4.60 winner, and then 5 horses in the second event that produced a $3.60 winner, and the daily double paid $12.60. but i shouldn't complain, its at least a cash and he didn't buy either race.
I did see him use the all at Fairmount today into a P3 pool. It was a terrible bet.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #104
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He loves pick 3s for small $6-$12. An occasional P4 for a bit more. Not a big player. Does it for leisure like he says.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #105
lamboguy

Nick Hines goes right to the ALL BUTTON at the spa. what a popular way to handicap on TVG!

!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: