Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

By My Standards

Im pretty much dismissing this one and consider him just a General Quarters or Java's War who comes outta nowhere wins a prep then in hardly heard from again. Might use him defensively in a couple tix but that abouts it

Agree or disagree?
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
I was thinking bottom of exotics. I mean, he is 100% ITM, so I won't ignore that. And there are so many E/Ps in the race. Something is going to happen up front, intentional or not. Is any contender going to do the Palace Malice experiment?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Im pretty much dismissing this one and consider him just a General Quarters or Java's War who comes outta nowhere wins a prep then in hardly heard from again. Might use him defensively in a couple tix but that abouts it

Agree or disagree?
Don't waste a dime on him! He can't even run 5th to close out the super hi five.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
f2tornado

Worst sire and dam sire AWD in the contest. If this thing gets 10F then I need to seriously reevaluate my handicapping skill.

I still don't buy the hand time of his race which helped inflate the speed figures. I highly doubt he's about 10 lengths faster than Core Beliefs who was about 10 lengths slower than Justify. He's your next Triple Crown winner using the six degrees of Kevin Bacon angle.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
PowerUpPaynter

Ed DeRosa said By My Standards is his "number 1"... What the hell? lol
Old 04-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I like him a lot.

The horse, not Ed.

Last edited by Tom; 04-22-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Goldencents

10F

Huge pass.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Goldencents

10F

Huge pass.
My exact thought process in the Louisiana Derby...

“Goldencents” “9F” “No Way”

Wins and pays $47 “doh”

I don’t claim to know a whole lot about breeding influences but I was just looking at his pedigree and it seems to me he has plenty of classic stamina influences 3/4 generations back, storm cat line on top out of Goldencents gives him sprint/tactical speed.

Another poster on here mentioned that he thinks having these sprint influences can sometimes give horses a greater ability to make their one big “kick” or “move” in the stretch which certainly held true for BMS in his last race.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
My exact thought process in the Louisiana Derby...

“Goldencents” “9F” “No Way”

Wins and pays $47 “doh”

I don’t claim to know a whole lot about breeding influences but I was just looking at his pedigree and it seems to me he has plenty of classic stamina influences 3/4 generations back, storm cat line on top out of Goldencents gives him sprint/tactical speed.

Another poster on here mentioned that he thinks having these sprint influences can sometimes give horses a greater ability to make their one big “kick” or “move” in the stretch which certainly held true for BMS in his last race.

Goldencents won the Santa Anita Derby at 9F. Arguably the worst Santa Anita Derby field this century.

GC then ran 17th and 5th in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness respectively. They never ran him further than a mile ever again.

I think the LAD was a decent field, but there are 7 or 8 or more horses that are better than anything BMS has faced before.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
f2tornado

Comparing his points race to his previous two starts doesn't compute unless you think he's Arrogate, got a milkshake, or the timer wasn't accurate. I realize a horse can improve quickly this time of year however this guy has seven panel bloodlines and supposedly improved by perhaps more than two seconds from his 2/26 run while adding a half panel. He went 1:45.0 at 8.5F to 1:49.4 in 9F. A very solid horse might run that final half in about 6.4 which would extrapolate his previous run to 151.4 which would be on par with the Nola Handicap run about an hour previous.

Looking at it a different way, Sueno finished five back and followed up finishing three back in the Lexington. Country House finished 6+ back and followed up finishing 6+ back in the Ark.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Goldencents won the Santa Anita Derby at 9F. Arguably the worst Santa Anita Derby field this century.

GC then ran 17th and 5th in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness respectively. They never ran him further than a mile ever again.

I think the LAD was a decent field, but there are 7 or 8 or more horses that are better than anything BMS has faced before.
I’ve only been following racing for about 3 years now so I actually didn’t realize GC had won the SA Derby. And I don’t disagree that he will be facing much better in this race, I just think he is very usable underneath in exotics.

His last race was visually impressive imo and it looks like he has been working well. He has even ran a decent race over the CD surface which is another plus in my book.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
dballard125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Ed DeRosa said By My Standards is his "number 1"... What the hell? lol
DeRosa must have smoked an 8 ball before he said that.
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
tjfla

I would love to play him but a Goldencents at 10F?????
tjfla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
I would love to play him but a Goldencents at 10F?????
I cannot even find a start at 10F by one of his progeny. One recently ran at Meydan at 1 3/16 and finished 10th. BMS and Mr. Money appear to be the only two to attempt 9F on American soil. BMS is his leading horse then it's a cliff to Bano Solo (who?). That's too small a sample size to draw any valid conclusion. There is a larger sample size for Into Mischief albeit still not statistically large. Harlan's Holiday gives a statistically large sample size and suggests a 10F win is not impossible but nearly all of the few progeny wins were on the grass.

I don't see it however there's worse bombers to play in this Derby renewal.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #15
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125 View Post
DeRosa must have smoked an 8 ball before he said that.
well he did have Mendelssohn and Magnum Moon as his top 2 last year if i remember correctly so there's that...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: