Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #46
thaskalos

A great reminder that it's possible to fall from grace...take our lumps...and then rise to the top again. Assuming, of course...that we were "graceful" to begin with.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #47
Grits

Didn't get to see Saturday but watched all of yesterday's telecast. We were all clapping and whooping with every shot. So happy for him, so happy.

I just watched an interview with his biographer. Paraphrasing. He commented.

"Tiger's performance yesterday was like SECRETARIAT. We knew we'd never see anything like it again."

He's right and I loved his comment!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #48
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'm no golf fan, but even I was rooting for Tiger.
Watched a bit Friday while I was sitting in the waiting room for my car to get worked on.

A 10 year comeback is certainly worthy of being called a champion.

Good thing I don't have a giant 6 foot TV screen at home, or I would never stop watching sports all day!
Man, such a difference from 21 incher.

Go Tiger!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #49
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A great reminder that it's possible to fall from grace...take our lumps...and then rise to the top again. Assuming, of course...that we were "graceful" to begin with.
Another interpretation might be that most people are willing to forgive/forget if you can hit a little white ball into a hole, throw a football accurately for 70 yards, or hit the corners with a slider. This is a good result for golf but let's not compare him to Secretariat or call this the greatest comeback of all time. He's still not the GOAT; Jack is.

And if I get another negative rep point because I dissed Tiger, don't do it. I know who you are.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #50
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Another interpretation might be that most people are willing to forgive/forget if you can hit a little white ball into a hole, throw a football accurately for 70 yards, or hit the corners with a slider. This is a good result for golf but let's not compare him to Secretariat or call this the greatest comeback of all time. He's still not the GOAT; Jack is.

And if I get another negative rep point because I dissed Tiger, don't do it. I know who you are.
Another interpretation might be that people are willing to forgive. And by all means compare him to the greatest athletes of all time , he must be in that conversation.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #51
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert View Post
Another interpretation might be that people are willing to forgive. And by all means compare him to the greatest athletes of all time , he must be in that conversation.
Greatest golfer? Sure. Greatest athlete? Not even close. And you obviously missed my point about forgiveness but whatevs...
Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #52
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'm no golf fan...
I knew there was something that I liked about you, Tom.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #53
Ocala Mike

Not a fan of Tiger's, but a big fan of redemption. This is the sports story of the year and maybe of the decade.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #54
theotherside

As good as Tiger looked, the other leaders choked as well.

It's called intimidation and Pressure.
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #55
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Greatest golfer? Sure. Greatest athlete? Not even close. And you obviously missed my point about forgiveness but whatevs...
Did not miss your point about forgiveness. Have a nice evening.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #56
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherside View Post

Nope playing it smart. while everyone else was playing for the flag and ending up in the water. Tiger played left and two putted for par. That was golf smarts 101.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #57
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Nope playing it smart. while everyone else was playing for the flag and ending up in the water. Tiger played left and two putted for par. That was golf smarts 101.Allan
Don't discount pressure. I think the intimidation factor is long gone except the intimidation caused by the size and volume of noise created by Tiger's gallery.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #58
delayjf

Quote:
"Tiger's performance yesterday was like SECRETARIAT. We knew we'd never see anything like it again."
Really, he shot a 70. Tigers performance in the 97 Masters was worthy of comparison to Secretariat.

Quote:
I'm not so sure, Keopka was not intimidated by Tiger in the 2018 PGA. Molinari has won a Major and halved with Tiger in the Ryder Cup. I agree with biggestal99, Tiger's experience won the day.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #59
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Really, he shot a 70. Tigers performance in the 97 Masters was worthy of comparison to Secretariat.

I'm not so sure, Keopka was not intimidated by Tiger in the 2018 PGA. Molinari has won a Major and halved with Tiger in the Ryder Cup. I agree with biggestal99, Tiger's experience won the day.
Agree with your first point. While I don't think Koepka and Molinari were intimidated, I'm not sure they had experienced the full Tiger crowd experience until Sunday. They've been watching him hit those perfect irons for a few months now and probably knew his chances of winning better than the general public or the so called experts. If you are a pro and you don't win the event then he is the guy you want to win.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #60
delayjf

Golf was exciting and fun to watch when Tiger was at his peak, I hope his win rejuvenates golf again.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply