Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
jasperson

Claiming jail

Is there a list that has all the state racing commissions that have claiming jails? I know Cal,Ind and NY have them are there any others? What states have a rule the a horse coming out of jail can not be claimed in his first start back? If they have that rule can the trainer drop the horse in any claiming race regardless of the claiming price?
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
green80

In some states it varies from track to track
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson View Post
Is there a list that has all the state racing commissions that have claiming jails? I know Cal,Ind and NY have them are there any others? What states have a rule the a horse coming out of jail can not be claimed in his first start back? If they have that rule can the trainer drop the horse in any claiming race regardless of the claiming price?
Here is the Pa rules:
163.254. Starting of claimed horses. For a period of 30 days after the claim, a claimed horse shall not start in a race in which the determining eligibility price is less than 25% more than the price at which it was claimed. The day claimed shall not count, but the following calendar day shall be the first day and the horse shall be entitled to enter whenever necessary so the horse may start on the 31st calendar day following the claim for any claiming price. This provision shall not apply to started handicaps in which the weight to be carried is assigned by the handicapper.

NJ Rules:
13:70-12.4 Claimed horse
FOR A PERIOD OF TWENTY (20) DAYS AFTER THE CLAIM, ANY CLAIMED HORSE SHALL NOT RACE FOR A
CLAIMING PRICE OF LESS THAN 25% MORE THAN THE PRICE FOR WHICH IT WAS CLAIMED.
13:70-12.5 Claimed horse racing elsewhere
A claimed horse shall not race elsewhere until after the close of the meeting at which it was claimed. Nothing in this rule shall
preclude any claimed horse from entering any stake race.

NY Claiming rule:
§ 4038.4. Sale, transfer restricted.
If a horse is claimed it shall not be sold or transferred to anyone wholly or in part, except in a claiming race, for a period of 30 days from the date of the claim. A claimed horse shall not, unless reclaimed, remain in the same stable or under the control or management of its former owner or trainer for a like period. A claimed horse shall not race outside New York State for a period of 30 days from the date of the claim or the end of the meeting at which it was claimed, whichever period of time is longer, except that a horse may run in a sweepstakes elsewhere for which the horse was nominated by its former owner or trainer, or if permission is granted by the stewards.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #4
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

When I first saw the headline, I thought they finally tossed Stephanie Beattie into the hoosegow.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
ultracapper

No jail in New York. I believe Cali closed their's also. I think jail is a forgotten concept in Washington also.

There used to be a great angle for claimed maidens back in the day of claiming jail. If a maiden went off favored, was beaten, and also claimed, if the horse was brought back at a higher price before the 30 days was up, it was always a solid contender. The claim went in, knowing the horse very well could win, and would have to face winners next. If the claiming trainer had that confidence, and had the stroke of luck in that the horse, favored and expected to win, got beat, he could turn him right back around against maidens, at a higher level, albeit, but fully expecting to face winners and not having to do it, it was quite often a solid bet. I remember horses getting claimed out of M$25,000 in which they went off at 2/1 and got beat, and coming back in a couple weeks at M$32 or even M$40, and paying very healthy win parimutuels. Loved that angle, particularly if it was Sadler, O'Neill, or one of the other real savvy claiming trainers. Almost like a free maiden race that the trainer never expected to have.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
sour grapes
Veteran

ny sure does have claiming jail

not sure where you got your info but a claimed horse has to rise 25% in price before they can run at the claimed price within that 30 day jail period.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
not sure where you got your info but a claimed horse has to rise 25% in price before they can run at the claimed price within that 30 day jail period.
Just from the post above. I thought since that was the discussion, and no mention of jail was made in the portion of the post concerning NY, it looked to me that it was no longer a rule. I could be wrong about Cali and WA also.

Instead of typing "No jail in NY", I should have typed "No jail in NY?"

Last edited by ultracapper; 03-09-2018 at 10:27 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #8
BrentT

Still claiming jail in most states. Some do not have it, but they need to as it favors the big claiming outfits even more when theres not one and can possibly weed out owners and trainers which is ultimately going to be the death of the sport.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: