Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 11:28 PM   #61
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Game evolved too much? Whales? CAW??

TBH, my argument of Pittsburgh Phil dominating 'today's game' is in the spirit of good fun.

I don't know Pittsburgh Phil other than reading his 'maxims'.
I don't even agree 100% with his advice, and I wonder how much is 'artistic license' as a writer, vs. how much is historical fact, but he has some legitimate wisdom mixed in, and his writing is interesting/motivational.

It's fun to have some historical 'legends' and hall-of-famers.
I completely agree.

Kind of like all the Nick the Greek stories.

At the end of the day, he was probably not a positive expectancy bet. LOL
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #62
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I think you ought seriously reconsider your position because your statement gives others unfamiliar with the era of Piittsburg Phil the impression that he was operating in a vacuum. This couldn’t be further from the truth because anyone who is familiar with that period knows first of all that there were many top notch players. Some of them were very well recognized and others purposely inconspicuous.

If he "dared" to play today with the insight he projected in his axioms I doubt the “Time” factor would be any more significant then it was then. In all likelihood he would have been just as successful as he was then.

I find it very ironic though that another top notch horse player, named Bill Benter (who BTW also resides in Pittsburg) had no background in horse racing what-so-ever. Yet he developed a computer program where “Time” was only 1 of over a 117 variables involved in an algorithm that produced the capability to create millions of dollars in profit. Unfortunately, other than the significance that he placed on how the public’s wagering impacted his method of play, I never came across anything that identified the individual weighted importance of the 117 variables.

I think that’s an understatement! How about a Killer Whale?

time would be meaningless in those days, for the simple reason, nobody would have been able to accurately time the races, and if they could then the distances were probably wrong too.
too many tools not available then.
if the guy was a good as they say, then if he was here today, he WOULD use times too, even if in a minor way.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #63
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
time would be meaningless in those days, for the simple reason, nobody would have been able to accurately time the races, and if they could then the distances were probably wrong too.
too many tools not available then.
if the guy was a good as they say, then if he was here today, he WOULD use times too, even if in a minor way.
Yep, timing was highly suspect then. I can only imagine what it was like trying to make speed figures before electronic timing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: