Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #61
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
It remains amusing that despite so many blowhards piping-up about takeout changes, none show the good common sense to review the only important number in the equations:

revenue from takeout to the tracks involved.

It was precisely and concisely that number which made it a no-brainer that Canterbury would end the moronic experiment served up by Eric Halstrom, who was soon out of a job for his stupidity.

Exactly none of the many takeout-reduction experiments undergone by anyone anywhere (in the name of "lower takeout") have produced greater (or even equal ) revenue from takeout.

That's the bottom line. To cite your own individual thoughts, ideas, or pipe dreams in tandem with that bottom line is simply more of your hot air, which the industry that you are collectively burying does not need.

If you are too clueless to figure out that it was you and your ilk who caused today's wagering formats which have doomed racing over the past three decades, then you just need to stop talking/writing and open your eyes...

(* it certainly wasn't the 80+% of the public which you and your ilk chased away in the process, who ended up burying an industry which once thrived)

Your entire premise (after chasing all of the little kids out of the sandbox) has become "what more can the venue do for me? (at it's own expense)" and with that as your only present-day focus, you're collectively incapable of understanding that the only way to bring the industry back would be to help the ones you chased away upon their return to the sandbox.

Obviously you can run an Ostrich race, or a Corgi race and bring them back to the sandbox, but the equation never changes for them, and until it does, they won't stay...

Interestingly enough, the little kids never sense themselves to be at a competitive disadvantage when the Ostriches are on the track.
This is the 3rd time that I've seen this post by AskinHaskin...and I still don't know how "we, and our ilk, caused today's wagering formats"...or how we "buried this industry", by "chasing away 80% of the public".

I hope that next time he posts this...he'll explain himself a little further.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #62
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
This is the 3rd time that I've seen this post by AskinHaskin...and I still don't know how "we, and our ilk, caused today's wagering formats"...or how we "buried this industry", by "chasing away 80% of the public".

I hope that next time he posts this...he'll explain himself a little further.
dont hold your breath
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #63
Afleet

Playing KEE through Derbywars and Horsetourneys won't have any effect on the boycott-right?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #64
Afleet

The time to affect change is fast approaching
Old 10-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #65
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I always think its funny when we see a statement like this:

Featuring a horseplayer friendly 15% takeout and offering a $0.20 minimum entry point, the cross-continent Pick-5 will feature three turf stakes from Woodbine and two turf events from Belmont Park.

In essence what they are saying is we know the normal takeout aint so friendly.
If PA had a "Post of the Day" emoji, you'd get it GMB.

Great stuff. I was laughing immediately, because ... it's so true and obvious. They admit it, out and out! LOL
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #66
Lono

Like Amarillo Slim I'm all in.
Lono is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #67
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lono View Post
Like Amarillo Slim I'm all in.
thank you spread the word
Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #68
NJ Stinks

As I sit here pondering what happened to the bettor's former best friend (Keeneland), I can say with certainty that Keeneland's management team today doesn't understand me. Here is a quote from Bob Elliston, Keeneland’s vice president of racing and sales when the takeout increase was announced. The quote comes from the Daily Racing Form:

“I hope the wagering public understands that this is going to our purses to keep us competitive, it’s not going into our pockets,” Elliston said. “You have to look at it comparatively. We’re going to be on par with New York, with Oaklawn, and we think we will continue to offer bettors a good product, if you look at depth of field and the quality of the fields.”

First and foremost, I don't care at all if the best horses in the country come to Keeneland or not. All I want are races that are competitive. As opposed to watching a great horse like Wise Dan run in five Grade One races in a row at Keeneland and never go off at even money or greater in any of them. What horseplayer wants to invest anything in that?

Tomorrow they are running the Phoenix, a Grade Two with a $250,000 purse. Back in 2010 the truly-terrific Wise Dan won the race when it was a $175,000 Grade Three event. Do I care if the Phoenix is a Grade Two or Grade Three? No. I couldn't care less as a horseplayer. Furthermore, I don't want to pay more in takeout to make the Phoenix a Grade Two. If Keeneland wants the Phoenix to be a Grade Two so much, let them charge the owners more to enter their horses in the race. After all, it's an owner who is going to benefit from the higher Grade and purse - not the horseplayer.

My narrative above may not be well-stated but I hope my point is clear. I'll be watching Keeneland because it's on TVG. But I'm not betting on Keeneland no matter how much Todd begs me.

Here's the link to the DRF article quoted above:

http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-bo...t-across-board
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #69
upthecreek

Article on boycott about 1/2 way down page

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Ante...tand/#comments
upthecreek is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #70
lamboguy

i just heard that Keeneland tripled the price of their box seats this year.

just from past experience, usually when the takeout gets hiked the handle's have initially gone up lately, then after a few weeks it comes down hard.

since Keeneland is a very short meet the boycott may have a minimal effect on their handle. and what they hope is that you forget the increase next year and go back to giving them the business. a boycott will have little effect unless you plan to continue on in April and then again October of 2018.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #71
MonmouthParkJoe

I'm with you guys on this.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #72
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Yesterday afternoon we posted a press release on the HANA Blog.
Joint Press Release from HANA and Playersboycott.org
Horseplayer Boycott of Keeneland:

http://blog.horseplayersassociation....-announce.html

We also posted the press release on the HANA site.
HORSEPLAYERS ASSOCIATION OF NORTH AMERICA (HANA) AND PLAYERSBOYCOTT.ORG ANNOUNCE HORSEPLAYER BOYCOTT OF KEENELAND:
http://www.horseplayersassociation.o...e10052017.html

We also posted it on the Playersboycott.org site.
HANA and Playersboycott.org Announce Horseplayer Boycott of Keeneland:
http://www.playersboycott.org/pressrelease10052017.html

The Blood Horse picked it up last night.
Horseplayers Association Initiates Keeneland Boycott:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...neland-boycott

DRF picked it up this morning.
Bettors group calls for month-long boycott of Keeneland:
http://www.drf.com/news/bettors-grou...cott-keeneland

If you are a HANA member you should have an email about the Keeneland Boycott sitting in your inbox this morning.

If you'd like to become a HANA member (and get on the mailing list) visit the HANA site at http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/ and click the white Become a Member link on the nav bar.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-06-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Jeff P is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #73
oughtoh

Just receive an email from DRF bets that I could get 1% back on winnings of WPS bets and 3% on exotics at Keneland. Emailed them back and said no thank you. I am not betting anything at that track.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #74
outofthebox

I will enjoy watching them..But no wagering from me.....
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #75
SG4

Anyone know why there are no payouts listed on either DRF or Equibase charts for the early pick 4 on Keeneland's opening day, concluding in race 5? Was there a completely successful boycott & $0 in that pool?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: