Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Are you glad Game On Dude lost
Poll Options
Are you glad Game On Dude lost

Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #31
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
got to have some fun with this stuff 'Hoss
Not sure what you are saying...but i have plenty of fun with the sport. But i also prefer to deal in reality. Hes an okay rider and he did his job on saturday by letting the horse do what he wanted to do. I just dont see his phone ringing off the hook because of the classic.

Did stewart elliot all of the sudden start riding in big races after he won the derby?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #32
austin
Apprentice

Tom
You didn't use that system you posted
E2-E1= TT
TT + E2
TT + LP
Santa Anita always makes the track a concrete highway
on big race days.
Play TT + E2
Check out all the Breeder Cup Races that didn't have 3 or
more unknowens using that system.
Thanks for the tip and if ever in New York I owe you ONE.
Hope everyone is doing well on the East Coast

GOOD LUCK
austin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #33
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Not sure what you are saying...but i have plenty of fun with the sport. But i also prefer to deal in reality. Hes an okay rider and he did his job on saturday by letting the horse do what he wanted to do. I just dont see his phone ringing off the hook because of the classic.

Did stewart elliot all of the sudden start riding in big races after he won the derby?
Or Jose Valdivia Jr or any number of guys. Hoss is 100% right on this.

When Rosario and I won the Breeders Cup Sprint on Dancing in Silks we didn't even start to ride more for Carla Gaines.

I thought our business would really spike up after winning that race. Saw no evidence of it.

Don't think the other trainers really cared much at all. In fact although I can't prove it I sensed there was some resentment and jealousy.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 11-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
If she had kept the mount, she probably would have retired Saturday night.
Correct
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I think this is an unwise assumption to make. If jockeys are used to anything, especially veterans like Sutherland, it's losing good mounts.

And if it were true that that's the reason she retired (which it isn't), then that's a good thing...this game isn't for her if her mental fortitude and ego are that fragile (which they aren't).
She wants to be a movie star
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #36
statepierback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I was alive to both Fort Larned and Game on Dude in the Pic 3, so yeah I was very happy how that turned out.

Let's not kid ourselves. This is a gambling driven game. We will always root for whoever we bet over any alleged stars. We overestimate the effect individual horses like Funny Cide or Zenyatta have.
I voted yes for the same reason.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #37
Stillriledup
Veteran

I just get so heartbroken when Baffert doesnt win another big race, for a guy like Bob who gives so much to this game and is one of the few humans who is an indispensable part of horse racing, its really sad when he doesnt win.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #38
usedtolovetvg

I never take solace in seeing a horse lose. I root for my horse to win, not another horse to lose. That reminds of the horse player who cheers against his buddies' horse. I never really understood that.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
I am and here is why, I think it was a b/s call that Sutherland got yanked b/c of one riding faux pas. Look at who won the Classic, Hernandez bothched a ride on him before and the connections stuck with him!

I am glad "Dude" lost the race b/c I think Sutherland would still be in the racing game if that move wasn't made. That was (IMO) the major reason why she called it quits. Her heart was broken beyond repair due to a 2nd place finish and not another chance was given to her to show her ability to ride.

Serves the connections right to suffer a loss in the biggest race of the year!

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching Chantal view the race Saturday and her reaction after they crossed the wire. . .
Watch the interview in the CS hangs up her tack thread . By admission , she was not in the game 100% and claimed to be physically and mentally tired and in need of relaxation . No question in my mind after viewing . Dude's connections , whether or not we think the horse was good enough or not , had every right to make a switch .
As for Chantal , I wish her well and admire her for disclosing the these points . She is human and has to do whats best and healthy for her.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I don't care that he lost because he was Game On Dude, or that there was or wasn't a jockey switch. The horse didn't even make my contenders, much less the win line. He just didn't have the right stuff for that race.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #41
Paseana

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Or Jose Valdivia Jr or any number of guys. Hoss is 100% right on this.

When Rosario and I won the Breeders Cup Sprint on Dancing in Silks we didn't even start to ride more for Carla Gaines.

I thought our business would really spike up after winning that race. Saw no evidence of it.

Don't think the other trainers really cared much at all. In fact although I can't prove it I sensed there was some resentment and jealousy.

There's no better or more recent case in point for this than Mario Gutierrez. He turned in two stellar rides in the Derby & Preakness under unbelievable pressure.....never cracked and never panicked. He was also greatly praised for his handling of the media through it all, and how gracious and humble he was, especially for one so young and inexperienced in the spotlight.

He went back to Hastings to ride for the summer (maybe that didn't really help), and now that he's back down in SoCal, it seems like O'Neill and Reddam are the only ones interested in using him. I don't know who's handling his book now, and maybe that has something to do with it, but it still seems a little strange.

The point is that a success or two on a major stage is no guarantee that the phone is going to start ringing off the hook.
Paseana is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #42
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseana
There's no better or more recent case in point for this than Mario Gutierrez. He turned in two stellar rides in the Derby & Preakness under unbelievable pressure.....never cracked and never panicked. He was also greatly praised for his handling of the media through it all, and how gracious and humble he was, especially for one so young and inexperienced in the spotlight.

He went back to Hastings to ride for the summer (maybe that didn't really help), and now that he's back down in SoCal, it seems like O'Neill and Reddam are the only ones interested in using him. I don't know who's handling his book now, and maybe that has something to do with it, but it still seems a little strange.

The point is that a success or two on a major stage is no guarantee that the phone is going to start ringing off the hook.
Trainers ride guys that have been winning for them consistently. Especially top barns. They couldn't care less what someone else does somewhere else. Several reasons not to change. One of the biggest is you might not get the top guy back if you change. No reason to risk it if things are already going well.