Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #31
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The entire field was gassed and all of them were going up and down, but to see Shanghai Bobby lower his head and get down to business when they came to him was remarkable....gritty colt.
He's Had Enough had a dream trip and really should have rolled right on by.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #32
classhandicapper

It was a "game effort", but I think the track helped carry him home. He was dead tired, but no one was finishing well. I think part of the reason for that was that the inner paths were a bit of an advantage over both days. It was tougher than "average" to stalk way outside or make a wide sweep.

He's a talented horse, but I can't see him getting 10F.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
Rosie said the last two races he has eased up after making a clear lead. Have only seen one replay but it looked like he slowed noticeably at the top of the stretch. Somehow she got him going again.
agreed.

Whether the horse is just a smart horse, or he has a minor issue, it looked to me like the horse wasn't going to go all out in the stretch until he got a couple right hands.
From the start of the premature move until that point, his ears and body language would agree as well.

Then you have the announcer yelling that he he is exhausted. The first time I watched it, I thought he was done as well, but on replay I think I agree with you.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
classhandicapper

There were two things going on.

1. He responded when challenged

2. He was exhausted

Both can be true!

IMO that was the case here. Just look at the closing time and final time figure.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
anotherCAfan

I would love to see Mario go back-to-back for Paul Reddam.
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
Nobody finds it strange that a horse quarterhorses to the lead, duels with other speed, tires on the turn (race caller calls him exhausted), closers are coming at him (#3 had all kinds of run when he got out), gets passed and then rebreaks and closes back on the closers?

Either a superhorse or a supertrainer. Not sure which I believe these days.
It's called a track bias.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #37
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I know this is going to be called red boarding, but I don't care. When I was watching the first couple of dirt races on Friday, I just knew early speed was going to have such an easy time of it this year. It didn't help me cash much in the way of tickets, because I've become the worst handicapper on the face of the planet, but still, I think even the most ardent of track bias non-believers among us has to agree that that track was very kind to speed...very, very kind.

In fact, I'm tempted to compile my first ever "bet back" list of horses who ran well despite the bias...hmmmm...perhaps not a bad idea for a thread...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I know this is going to be called red boarding, but I don't care. When I was watching the first couple of dirt races on Friday, I just knew early speed was going to have such an easy time of it this year. It didn't help me cash much in the way of tickets, because I've become the worst handicapper on the face of the planet, but still, I think even the most ardent of track bias non-believers among us has to agree that that track was very kind to speed...very, very kind.

In fact, I'm tempted to compile my first ever "bet back" list of horses who ran well despite the bias...hmmmm...perhaps not a bad idea for a thread...

Agree completely. I had the winner of the 2nd and thought I had no chance when the came into the stretch. He was on life support the last furlong and they still could not catch him. I think on a fair track he may have finished 3rd.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #39
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:

I agree with the track bias comments... Imho, horses having inside/early trips on the dirt got the best of it.

And yes, absolutely - noting the trips they had (and estimating the effect) - that can be great info to have when they come back to race again.

One comment about Shanghai Bobby...

Pull up the replay and watch his ears on the turn and then again in the stretch. Early in the turn when he was being pressed - his ears were pinned back. After he shook clear - he flicked his ears forward and let up. But as soon as He's Had Enough came up alongside he pinned his ears back and started running again.

I take that as a sign he's still learning the game... maybe thinking that when others are there making a challenge it's time to compete... and when when others are not there to issue a challenge: no reason to compete/time to let up.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 11-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I don't think for one moment that in the case of Shanghai Bobby, the track bias suddenly reinvigorated what looked like a spent horse at the top of the stretch. He was apparently just a big goofball out there. But the bias certainly helped when he realized it was time to start running again.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #41
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I don't think for one moment that in the case of Shanghai Bobby, the track bias suddenly reinvigorated what looked like a spent horse at the top of the stretch. He was apparently just a big goofball out there. But the bias certainly helped when he realized it was time to start running again.
I watched the up close replay nbc ran after the race, and I could swear he was looking right at the 2nd place horse.

I have only seen that a few times and it was always a horse that had the game kind of figured out. I think some of them just get it. This guy might be too smart for his own good.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I watched the up close replay nbc ran after the race, and I could swear he was looking right at the 2nd place horse.

I have only seen that a few times and it was always a horse that had the game kind of figured out. I think some of them just get it. This guy might be too smart for his own good.
I am not so sure, once they figure it out, they stay back for most of the race, and just do enough to get there at the wire. I can't wait for next year...
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #43
BMustang

I think that this horse proved himself to be something special overcoming his rider and winning despite her.

Pletcher has to be thrilled with his horse's performance. Very game!

I have been watching Rosie since she came to Kentucky two years ago, and cannot for the life of me understand why she is still considered a "top rider."

She barely cleared 10% at Saratoga, 10% at Belmont, and 9% at Keeneland. She wins when she has the best horse. Period. She does nothing to move them up. The fact that those percentages are so glaring is the fact that most of her horses are 5-1 or under. She is not riding plugs like most 9%-10% riders. She had 6 wins at the Keeneland meet and 64 losers. That great sucking sound was Rosie taking your money. Three of her winners were solid favorites. I'd like to see the OTHER Rosie (Rosie Homeister) get those same mounts and see who would emerge as the superior rider. I think I know, and I think other saavy handicappers know as well.

Personally, I think that Napravnik is the greatest fraud ever perpetrated on modern racing, and I doubt that I am alone in my assessment.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #44
the little guy

Whether you like Rosie as a rider or not, whether you think she's overrated or not, if you think she wasn't riding to instructions on Saturday you are, quite simply, wrong.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #45
nijinski

I truly enjoyed the finish with the 19-1 sequel to I'll Have Another up for second. Mario G up .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: