Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Calder Drops Bomb on Horseman

Just came back from a meeting for the horseman hosted by Calder managment.Told us how they are improving backside by all the repairs blah blah blah..Then came the bomb.As of sat feb 26,No horses will be allowed to race at GP except for stake races.They are telling us that we will have to have special permission to get the horse back on the grounds.Calder meet starts Apr 25.Tampa is still being discussed.Damn..Horseman are going to starve.This came as a total surprise to us horseman but its all because of GP trying to get more winter dates.Calder tells us it will race 4 days a week until nov and the 3 days a week until the following April.I understand Calder has to take some kind of stand but using the horseman as pawns isnt fair.We didnt even get a heads up on what this meeting was about.Owners are going to pull their horses off the grounds and leave a lot of people out of work.God help us as we are going to need it
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
mistergee

they obviously have no brain
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
lamboguy

i just sent 15 horses to calder this morning, i don't have a problem though, none of them are going to run @gulfstream. i love training horses in calder, they do a nice job maintaining that place. i suspect they are paying the bills there and don't want to help out the place that is trying to strangle them for their dates.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Ocala Mike

Calder Drops Bomb on Horseman

Fighting over racing dates has been going on in Florida since day one. Isn't FTBOA or the State doing anything about this stuff? What's gonna happen when Hialeah cuts back in?

Ocala Mike
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Can they do this legally?

This sound to me - not that I like it - a golden opportunity for GP to emand extra days going right through June! Reason - to allow you guys to race horses.

Kill off Calder once and for all. As a player, I now favor this - if Calder wants to damage the game, I want to damage Calder. They just got added to my boycott forever list.

SA, GP, Crc, CD - deserve no support from players, imho.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i just sent 15 horses to calder this morning, i don't have a problem though, none of them are going to run @gulfstream. i love training horses in calder, they do a nice job maintaining that place. i suspect they are paying the bills there and don't want to help out the place that is trying to strangle them for their dates.

I understand what you are saying,BUT..If them 15 horses were fit and ready to run,Then you would have a problem.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

This sound to me - not that I like it - a golden opportunity for GP to emand extra days going right through June! Reason - to allow you guys to race horses.

Kill off Calder once and for all. As a player, I now favor this - if Calder wants to damage the game, I want to damage Calder. They just got added to my boycott forever list.

GP could never run till june,With the moonsoon rains GP track cant take the water.Calder has to make a statement but shouldnt use the horsemans livelyhood to do it.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
Owners are going to pull their horses off the grounds
Where, instead, will they stable and train them ... and why haven't they been there all along anyway?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

If I remember correctly, they tried to cannabalize Calder's big day several years ago when the esteemed Bill Murphy and Mike Mullaney were in charge. They have (to the best of my knowledge) deregulated dates that allow them to make decisions on their own and then deal with horsemen later.

ETA:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...on-longer-meet

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ing-more-dates

Last edited by johnhannibalsmith; 02-22-2011 at 01:02 PM.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Where, instead, will they stable and train them ... and why haven't they been there all along anyway?
I dont understand what you are saying?...Horses can ship north of go to training centers..2 months is a long time to wait when you have a large stable
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
If I remember correctly, they tried to cannabalize Calder's big day several years ago when the esteemed Bill Murphy and Mike Mullaney were in charge. They have (to the best of my knowledge) deregulated dates that allow them to make decisions on their own and then deal with horsemen later.

Please, leave Mike Mullaney's name out of this. That's just ridiculous.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Please, leave Mike Mullaney's name out of this. That's just ridiculous.
I thought he was part of the team Andy. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I thought he was part of the team Andy. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.
He worked at Gulfstream. So did a lot of people. I have a lot of trouble believing he was involved in making that kind of call.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Mineshaft
Veteran

what idiots.

i would get the TB condition book out and start searching if thats all you can do.

How about the horseman boycott the entry box once Calder starts?
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
He worked at Gulfstream. So did a lot of people. I have a lot of trouble believing he was involved in making that kind of call.
I didn't mean to imply that he was responsible, I understand the confusion. Prior to linking the article, I had no real timeframe to deliver with specificity and since the two worked together at that particular time and were among the most visible, recognizable names, I tried to put in a context (the names) that would clarify it. That's all.