Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #196
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I think someone in pharmacology will need to be consulted because at the level that was reported, Justify would have had to consume an unprecedented amount of jimsom-contaminated hay to test at 3x the threshold.
Source?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #197
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Unless it wasn't a contamination......

Justify tested at 300ng/mL

The threshold in europe is 30ng/mL That would be environmental contamination.
The threshold here is 75ng/mL based on studies of what constitutes environmental contamination in feed.

Putting this here so people have a comparison.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24440440

It would be pretty hard for a horse to eat as much plant material as was in this study.
So even between Europe and US, there is a BIG difference.

Maybe it's really 100ng/ml and Justify was really only 3x over...

See what I'm getting at here? This shouldn't be that hard to pin down.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #198
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
1) Look at who participates in the sport....the rich, successful people in this country. They own stuff, land, property, companies etc....they also have the means to make donations to a political candidate which has much more sway.
I think people overstate, by far, the amount of influence that rich people in horse racing have. They certainly have that influence in Kentucky state politics. But nationally? There are actually probably far more rich people who hate horse racing or even think it is barbaric than there are rich people who are involved in the sport.

There are reasons Congress doesn't get involved in horse racing, but I don't think it's really a matter of lobbying and influence. I would think that outside of Kentucky and a few scattered congressional districts, most members of the House and Senate would have very little to fear in taking on the horse racing establishment.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #199
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

The thing is, a regulatory agency that was acting properly would document all this stuff. You are going to change the rule and allow a larger amount? You build an administrative record. Find some studies that show that the larger amount can be a result of contamination. Hold public hearings. Bring scientists in to testify about it. That way, you have a nice big public record that you can point to if anyone questions why this was done or claims you were currying favor with powerful owners or trainers.

We've actually seen this process play out in the past when substances were ruled legal.

In contrast, here, even if one were inclined to defend the CHRB decision, you are left to guess as to what, exactly, the scientific or evidentiary conclusions were that supported the decision, because the Board did it all in secret. Obviously, there was some other, overriding reason why they wanted to do it that way rather than the proper way.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #200
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

I'm sure that someone with equine pharmacology expertise can and will explain all this in a logical way in the coming days. All I can think of is that maybe Justify ate too much that day.

The sticking point for me, and probably others right now is: If it was a miniscule amount, and not a big deal, why was there a cover up?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #201
clicknow

I thought this was pretty funny:

Woops guess i don't know how to post a tweet sorry

It was from Eric Guillot, about how Hollendorfer Fined in Scopolamine Case back in 2008.

Last edited by clicknow; 09-13-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #202
Sea Hero

It's moot. They aren't going to take any action against Baffert.

Ever.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #203
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

After reading more about it, I concluded it is the NY TImes Joe D - nothing to see here, move along.

The guy has a habit of piss poor "reporting" on horse racing.
He is a hack and he publishes garbage.

Don't even legitimize him by talking about his writing.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #204
AlsoEligible

Quote:
nothing to see here, move along.
Sure there is. We have confirmation from the CHRB and others besides the NYT that Justify failed a post-race drug test.

I don't understand why it's even relevant how it got there. Maybe he was especially hungry and did eat a crapton of contaminated weed. Okay. He still went out and ran (and won) a race with an excessive amount of a banned substance in his system.

That should be the only relevant fact here, and resulted in a DQ.

The how should only matter when it comes to whether or not to take further action against Baffert. Whether it was intentional or not, the horse was tainted.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #205
NY BRED
GARY

Bob Baffert

Do the math;

One of the most successful trainers in our generation, who already won the
Triple Crown with American Pharaoh, and represents some of the most wealthiest owners with tremendous support and buying power to race quality horses now goes all in to win another Triple Crown?

The deeper question is improving track and barn security in an effort to protect
the thoroughbred and the betting public.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #206
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
After reading more about it, I concluded it is the NY TImes Joe D - nothing to see here, move along.

One of the sorriest journalism breakdowns ever was during the Duke Lacrosse hoax. Oddly, Joe Drape early on figured it out that it was sketchy. One of the earliest, in fact.

However, his news organ was determined to sell a political narrative instead, at the expense of 3 innocent college kids facing prison for 30 years. The Times replaced Drape with Duff Wilson, the media creature who (later than anyone) propped up the crooked prosecutor. A month after Ed Bradley anchored his last 60 Minutes episode which exposed the scandal, the Times and Wilson still gave Nifong a positive platform to spread his lies. Two months later, DNA ended the fiasco.

None of them ... the editors, Wilson, or Drape ever apologized for their dirty work. Drape could have resigned in protest. Instead, he still works for the scum. As we see by this episode, he told a half story, when a full story and technical material would have made it a nothingburger.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #207
tubesockshakur

Is it true this can be found in everyday feed?
tubesockshakur is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 10:51 PM   #208
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesockshakur View Post
Is it true this can be found in everyday feed?
No.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #209
Fred Mertz

This happened in 2018?

Criminal IMO.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #210
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Tom, I think it just depends on one's perspective........was the person(s) who leaked the story to Drape trying to save racing, or to further it's demise?

There are certainly people in both camps. Some say that cleaning up racing (and that would include how racing commissions handle things) will help save racing. Others say it's an effort to further cut the head off the dog.

FWIW, I am in the former camp. I believe more transparency will help save racing, as will more standardized practices and decisions.