Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #391
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Can he be contained? I can't explain why, but I believe this ritual practice of cooling it for a while and just observing is necessary for the gambler.
Wise move.

Pavlov's dictum: "Observe and Observe"
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #392
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Another one that applies to horse racing:

"Ninety percent of this game is half-mental."
This could apply as well.
"I never said half the things I said"
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #393
HUSKER55

here is an absolute truth. if the morning line, the track handicapper and you have the identical picks and the odds on the favorite are 3/2 at post you are on the wrong horse.

...and I even liked the way he moved in the parade and warmup...damnit!

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #394
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Some ground rules. Foremost, my postings are not meant to be a lecture and I am not promising any esoteric knowledge. Second the assumptions are all horses are sound and in fit condition. I hope to reignite the spark regarding what root or single factor is the most determinate.

What do you see when looking at the PPs, for a race? Do you see the potential of winning and of losing in the same horse? If not, why not? A race is arbitrary imposed measurements, measurements that either promote or demote potential.

A race is a set of imposed measurements, measuring the bio-mechanics and the physiology of the competing animals. which either promote the potential of winning and losing. A win or lose is function of artificially imposed measurements.

There are only four essential measuring tools in a race, the distance, the configuration of the distance, the competition and the surface. I use the term essential, because each of the above-mentioned imposed measuring tools, standing alone, can be the reason the horse won or lost.
Without the measurement of distance there would be no race. Distance forces the horse to expend its energy in a particular way to reach the goal of being in front at the ending point.

Shorter distances require the horse to use its energy quicker, than a longer distance. Also, shorter distances do not require as much stamina.
You could run the same group of horses over and over again at varying distances and get different results, due solely to distance changes. If you changed distances enough there is a very good chance every animal would win a few races at certain related distances. Taking it to extremes, distance could be manipulated so that every horse would win.
The configuration is very important as results will change, by adding one turn instead of a straight run, adding two turns or more to any distance.
Surface does affect a horses performance, i.e. the revolt against synthetic race surfaces.

Competition, by itself, will impact the race.
Summing it up these four factors are the root factors contained in every race, and each one standing alone can be the determinate factor causing the horse to use its potential to win or lose.
any thoughts?

p.s. I know I promised to post some analysis for SA. The weather resulting in multiple changes in the race cards, for me, has precluded any analysis for SA.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #395
Johnny V

Another Yogism applicable to racing:
"You can observe a lot by watching".
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #396
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Some ground rules. Foremost, my postings are not meant to be a lecture and I am not promising any esoteric knowledge. Second the assumptions are all horses are sound and in fit condition. I hope to reignite the spark regarding what root or single factor is the most determinate.

What do you see when looking at the PPs, for a race? Do you see the potential of winning and of losing in the same horse? If not, why not? A race is arbitrary imposed measurements, measurements that either promote or demote potential.

A race is a set of imposed measurements, measuring the bio-mechanics and the physiology of the competing animals. which either promote the potential of winning and losing. A win or lose is function of artificially imposed measurements.

There are only four essential measuring tools in a race, the distance, the configuration of the distance, the competition and the surface. I use the term essential, because each of the above-mentioned imposed measuring tools, standing alone, can be the reason the horse won or lost.
Without the measurement of distance there would be no race. Distance forces the horse to expend its energy in a particular way to reach the goal of being in front at the ending point.

Shorter distances require the horse to use its energy quicker, than a longer distance. Also, shorter distances do not require as much stamina.
You could run the same group of horses over and over again at varying distances and get different results, due solely to distance changes. If you changed distances enough there is a very good chance every animal would win a few races at certain related distances. Taking it to extremes, distance could be manipulated so that every horse would win.
The configuration is very important as results will change, by adding one turn instead of a straight run, adding two turns or more to any distance.
Surface does affect a horses performance, i.e. the revolt against synthetic race surfaces.

Summing it up these four factors are the root factors contained in every race, and each one standing alone can be the determinate factor causing the horse to use its potential to win or lose.
any thoughts?

p.s. I know I promised to post some analysis for SA. The weather resulting in multiple changes in the race cards, for me, has precluded any analysis for SA.
A good post, but some corrections are needed and I say this in a complimentary manner. I agree that the surface can and should be measured, but not for speed, but for “resistance to speed.”

When a racehorse is moving over a surface it cannot be determined by just the horse’s movement whether it speed is enhanced by the track’s surface or the horse’s innate ability.

The speed is an issue of resistance which is caused by the coefficient of friction between the horse’s hooves and the track’s surface.

Without that resistance (coefficient of friction); the right force behind the horse would allow it to run at a speed approaching the speed of light. Also there cannot be a negative resistance because the horse’s speed would take it into the future.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #397
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Cratos,

Good post, I have no disagreement with your assertion. At the time, I was trying to express the idea some horses have a higher potential to win or lose if competing, on turf, on dirt(main track) or synthetics.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #398
Capper Al

Since I posted this in another thread and got support from Dave, I'll post it here:

"The shared truth was emphasizing picking contenders over winners and holding out for natural odds (random odds) horses while betting against one of the low odds favorites. That combination is profitable and is an absolute truth."
I agree... it is an absolute truth. (Dave)

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 01-26-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #399
Capper Al

Here we go again!

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #400
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Since I posted this in another thread and got support from Dave, I'll post it here:

"The shared truth was emphasizing picking contenders over winners and holding out for natural odds (random odds) horses while betting against one of the low odds favorites. That combination is profitable and is an absolute truth."
I agree... it is an absolute truth. (Dave)

8 horse field, natural odds are 1/8, which translates to 12.5 percent. So the absolute truth is to bet the contender with odds of 7 to 1?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #401
Dave Schwartz

SMTW,

The issue that was left out was that you need to be able to do is to toss out one of the low-priced horses.

The presupposition here is also that you have a track record which supports the fact that when YOU toss a low-odds horse he significantly under-performs (i.e. returns very little monies to his backers).
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #402
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Dave,

I understand about tossing out one low price horse, even better if you can toss two. I guess the question, I am asking, do you wager only on the horse with matching natural odds, what do you do with the other top choice who is a contender, or other contenders who have less than their natural odds?

The way, I understand the capper al's statement you bet just the natural odds horse. I may be wrong in my interpretation and that is why, I asked the question.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #403
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire

any thoughts?

You say that there are four essential measuring tools in a race...and that each of these measuring tools can, individually, determine whether a horse wins or loses a race. Does this mean that you regard these "measuring tools" to be equal in value and importance...or do they vary in significance?

If a 10-horse field runs at 10 different configurations of the same distance...is there a very good possibility that we will have 10 different winners?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #404
magwell

After further review.... Nobody knows "the one absolute truth to profitability"......
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #405
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
After further review.... Nobody knows "the one absolute truth to profitability"......
Correct! But then, not everyone needs one to be profitable. We need a few "truths" that are true, for us, and the way we play.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 01-26-2013 at 09:26 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply