Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskorner
During the first 3 weeks of May 1945 I was stationed on the Isle of Negra prior to moving to Okinawa the 1st week of June 1945. I became friendly with the barkeep of the local canteen, who claimed he was a spectator to the march in April 1942. He was beaten for trying to help and forced to help bury the dead, his stories are not worthwhile repeating here to those who are so willing to forgive and forget. We have sired a group of thumbsuckers.
BULL****, KARL. This group you're calling thumbsuckers has been in Vietnam, Bosnia, the 1st Persian Gulf war, and now Iraq and Afghanistan, while your older than dirt self has been kicked back in Florida in your worn out recliner.

Obviously, your short term memory is impaired. You know, well, where YOU were 65 years ago, but you ain't able to remember last night's newscast or how long we've now been in the mountains of Afghanistan. And how many lives have been lost.

Its way past your bedtime, Karl . . . go to bed.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #62
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskorner
Not to repeat myself, but read some of the comments on this forum, read the newspapers, listen to some of the TV commentators, this country has sired a huge amount of THUMBSUCKERS.
Look old timer, we dropped a few nukes on their heads...that wasn't enough payback? Now you're gonna throw an earthquake and a tsunami + more potential nuclear horror on top of it all as if they had it coming to them all along?

No thumb sucker here, but man, remind me never to get on your bad side...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #63
ArlJim78

things are spiraling out of control, heading towards a possible worst case
scenario.

Japan Faces Prospect of Nuclear Catastrophe as Workers Leave Plant

TOKYO — Japan faced the likelihood of a catastrophic nuclear accident Tuesday morning, as an explosion at the most crippled of three reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station damaged its crucial steel containment structure, emergency workers were withdrawn from the plant, and much larger emissions of radioactive materials appeared immiment, according to official statements and industry executives informed about the developments.

The sharp deterioration came after government officials said the containment structure of the No. 2 reactor, the most seriously damaged of three reactors at the Daichi plant, had suffered damage during an explosion shortly after 6 a.m. on Tuesday.
They initially suggested that the damage was limited and that emergency operations aimed at cooling the nuclear fuel at three stricken reactors with seawater would continue. But industry executives said that in fact the situation had spiraled out of control and that all plant workers needed to leave the plant to avoid excessive exposure to radioactive leaks.

If all workers do in fact leave the plant, the nuclear fuel in all three reactors is likely to melt down, which would lead to wholesale releases of radioactive material — by far the largest accident of its kind since the Chernobyl disaster 25 years ago.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #64
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Just f*cking terrible.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #65
ArlJim78

these last two updates from the BBC sound ominous.
this is the time to start praying.

-----------------------------------------------------------
0306: Winds over the stricken nuclear plant are blowing slowly towards the Kanto region, which includes Tokyo, Reuters reports.

0303: Radiation is 400 times the annual legal limit near Fukushima's reactor 3, the Kyodo news agency reports.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #66
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

They either have a breach or the cooling pond has gone critical -- they shouldn't get a spike to those levels otherwise. I hope it is something else.

And, our news media is f*cking ridiculous and utterly worthless.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #67
ArlJim78

this event has further illustrated how weak US news coverage is, its downright pathetic. i've been going to Kyodo, Reuters, BBC, even RT.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #68
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

0331: A fire which broke out Tuesday at Fukushima has now been extinguished, media reports say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #69
prospector

karl..i don't agree with your memories..everyone i've met is salt of the earth people..you have to remember that japan was a military state then..
that said, i fully understand your hate..you couldn't put a north Vietnamese in front of me and expect to get him back..
cut him some slack people..those who haven't been to combat can never understand the baggage those of us who were carry for the rest of our lives..
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #70
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Good post prospector
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #71
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This is the greatest thing that could ever happen to coal fired interests in the U.S.

The coal industry in our country is quietly celebrating and standing by to watch what happens next

The left is already coming out and screaming about shutting down nuke plants, at least over the last few days anyway. This is going to push the rhetoric way up. The left will be feeding the trough of the oil and coal crowd in an effort to push more green energy options. in reality they will be enriching those that they scorn

Last edited by JustRalph; 03-15-2011 at 04:00 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #72
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Get over what? If you think you can't compare the slaves to the Death March, as far as it happening so long ago, fine...I'll give you that, because it did happen further back than WWII
and maybe there are great grandparents, grandparents still alive that were there during the Death March...but does that mean we should hate their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren because of what happened before they were born?
You make it sound as if I don't feel for anyone that suffered by the hands of the Japs back then...if you need to know, I hate the men that put our guys and all the innocents through the hell that they did...the Japanese were incredibly cruel, they were worse than animals, they were brutal...my dad was there, he suffered and he was never the same man after that f'n war...I know what happened...and I hate the Japanese men that were apart of that...
but, come on, to enjoy the suffering that so many Japanese folks are going through right now, to say they deserve this, well, IMO, it just ain't right.
Of course not. I was simply opining that to compare slavery to Bataan is not a valid comparison. I hold no "grudge" against the Japanese people. My father was a U.S. Navy Seabee and moved throughout the Pacific Islands during WW II. If I wanted to carry a chip on my shoulder, I could. But I don't. I think you misread my post.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #73
Grits

Karl, I apologize for my anger towards you last night. I'm sorry. I'm female, an no, I've not been to war. My father has. He was in the navy in WWII, my father in law has. He was a Marine, serving in the same region you were in. My uncle was career Army, my aunt, his wife was Japanese. Most of her family including her parents died in Hiroshima. More recently, my cousin who is 40, after college, lived in Japan for several years, where he taught English. His wife is Japanese, her entire family still lives in Japan.

I don't care which war you're serving in, the experience is one, no doubt, that you never forget. There's one thing in particular about the one's we've fought in more recent years though--those that fought in them--they signed up for the job. No one made them go, no one made them serve. Men and women who've served in all wars have returned home, changed forever. I don't think one can dispute this. I resent that you believe our country is filled with generations of thumbsuckers, as you callously called us, who've come after you. Thumbsuckers don't willingly, knowingly sign up for war, Karl!!

Most of us cannot bear to see human life suffer or be destroyed by any means, be it war, malice, or nature. The Japanese are suffering horribly. It will take decades to rebuild these areas of their country. This could be you, it could be me, it could be all of us, here, on our own soil just as easily as it was Japan.

Quote:
as Mack noted:

War is Hell and this has nothing to do with Karma.

“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.”
"War is Hell." But this time . . . Hell came straight up out of the ground and consumed a nation and its people.

How on earth one can feel this was deserved is beyond me. I'm sorry that you've carried this kind of anamosity all of your life.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #74
karlskorner

Grits

In message #61 you mentioned other wars we have been in (and there were others). Now mention the wars we have WON since WWII. I repeat a nation of thumbsuckers.

Your impression of an 85 year old man is way off in my case. I am at the track daily (GP/CRC) by 11 AM to watch the tractors and prepare for the day, you cannot be a winner sitting home working the computer program some Pied Piper sold you.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #75
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
In message #61 you mentioned other wars we have been in (and there were others). Now mention the wars we have WON since WWII. I repeat a nation of thumbsuckers.
We have the ability to win, but not the desire.
You don't win wars unless you go all out, 110% and never stop.
We won WWII because we understood that and did that.