Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: What age group do you fall into?
20 years old or younger 3 0.85%
21-27 18 5.10%
28-34 35 9.92%
35-41 39 11.05%
42-48 54 15.30%
49-55 70 19.83%
56-62 64 18.13%
63 years old or older 70 19.83%
Voters: 353. This poll is closed

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #121
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter
this poll shocks me, in a good way

never thought there would be soo many tech savy 60+ year olds out there... hats off seriously
I was lucky, I guess (?), and joined the USAF in 1970 and received the equivalent of approximately $250K of electronics training on one of the first "smart" weapons delivery systems ever built, the A7D attack and close ground support bird. Also trained and worked on the B57G, F4C's and D's, and the C130 Gunship (Spectre gunships, 13th SOS). All but the F4s had basically the same computerized weapons delivery/navigational avionics packages.

So, with all that computer training and experience, jumping to PCs after the military was a no-brainer.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #122
jefftune

Never saw Pink Floyd but saw practically everyone else back in the day. Hendrix was the best hands down and whoever said Stevie Ray is better is still smokin sumthin. That's like saying Big Brown was better than Secretariat.
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #123
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino1891
Les Brown's Sentimental Journey was the Billboard #1 song on the day I was born.
Renowned and all.......great song............
Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #124
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
racetrack execs. would have to look at the graphic bar display and be afraid-very afraid for the future.
Actually, you are correct.

The most sought-after consumers, from a marketing perspective, is the Gen Yer's. They represent a HUGE market segment, way larger than baby boomers, and will dictate the future of business and buying power (as huge numbers of boomers retire). In other words, they hold the cards.

They were brought up with technology, which has formed and changed them. They are very unlike baby boomers. Urgency, stimulation, shorter attention spans, etc. They are also very consumer-savvy, know how to shop, and how to get deals.

they love small, are entreprenureal, and love companies that are humble, and that cater to them and treat them well......Zappos online store, which sells shoes, and who I have bought from for years, is an example. They are HUGELY successful!!! (If you call and order shoes, you will know why. ) Zappos over-delivers in so many ways and is very *friendly*.

So, all these things, to me, don't bode well for GenYer's getting interested in horseracing.

Track execs need to do marketing research the way the real marketers do. The racing model, as it currently stands, is not going to work. Jockeys being on facebook does help, etc.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #125
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
Actually, you are correct.

The most sought-after consumers, from a marketing perspective, is the Gen Yer's. They represent a HUGE market segment, way larger than baby boomers, and will dictate the future of business and buying power (as huge numbers of boomers retire). In other words, they hold the cards.

They were brought up with technology, which has formed and changed them. They are very unlike baby boomers. Urgency, stimulation, shorter attention spans, etc. They are also very consumer-savvy, know how to shop, and how to get deals.

they love small, are entreprenureal, and love companies that are humble, and that cater to them and treat them well......Zappos online store, which sells shoes, and who I have bought from for years, is an example. They are HUGELY successful!!! (If you call and order shoes, you will know why. ) Zappos over-delivers in so many ways and is very *friendly*.

So, all these things, to me, don't bode well for GenYer's getting interested in horseracing.

Track execs need to do marketing research the way the real marketers do. The racing model, as it currently stands, is not going to work. Jockeys being on facebook does help, etc.
The most interesting facet of Generation Y for me has been how much money they were collectively spending when they collectively were not old enough to have what I consider lucrative jobs to afford such expenditures. Its called being spoiled rotten and brought up with no real discipline, no work ethic, way too easy to chew up and spit out. But their Baby Boomer parents are having a bit of a wakeup call as they approach retirement with far less net assets relative to their spending then the parents of the Generation X'ers whom everyone seems to have forgotten.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #126
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

Actually, you are correct-no he is not and neither are you either

1/4 of the people appear to be <=41yo.

As usual that completely flies in the face of the typical portrayal of racing demographics where 90% of the customers are supposedly in their 60's.

Seniors love to gamble, the population is aging-

how anyone can be negative on any form of gambling is mind numbing.

Last edited by Foolish Pleasure; 05-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Foolish Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #127
RichieP

49 but dreaming of 69
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #128
domino1891

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
Even though there's approx. 250 responses, racetrack execs. would have to look at the graphic bar display and be afraid-very afraid for the future.
If you put this exact poll up at another popular racing forum, I think the demographics would change a lot.
domino1891 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #129
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino1891
If you put this exact poll up at another popular racing forum, I think the demographics would change a lot.
Yeah, if the poster wanted to know the demographics, industry wide, he picked the wrong forum. Many members here have been at it for most of their lives and are intelligent enough to realize that the endeavor can be fruitful and extremely challenging, so, why quit once they reach their golden years?

That said, industry wide, I think the demographics are very much skewed toward older, rather than younger, players due to the older players having been there in it's heyday. We keep hoping those days will return, but if not, we'll probably "keep on keepin on", anyway.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #130
kenwoodall2

A-Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
1/4 of the people appear to be <=41yo.

As usual that completely flies in the face of the typical portrayal of racing demographics where 90% of the customers are supposedly in their 60's.

Seniors love to gamble, the population is aging-

how anyone can be negative on any form of gambling is mind numbing.
The typical crowd is found at tracks and OTB's, and if you knew the number of young bettors vs older that spend enough time online on other than social networking sites you might be surprised, too! Ask ADW's for the demographics!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #131
Thomas Roulston

Not as old as my username would suggest.

Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #132
Bruddah
Veteran

Mentally 24, Chronilogically 64. Still above the roots and having a good time.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #133
keithw84

26, became a fan during the 2008 Triple Crown
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #134
karlskorner

85. Walking to the Paddock daily, just a little slower
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #135
mountainman

53, but look and act 52.