Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Mulerider

Louisiana Joins Lawsuit...

Louisiana Joins Lawsuit Seeking to Derail Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority

Imagine that.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Shocking news!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I am shocked !

Louisiana has always been a bastion of integrity in both sports and politics.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
thaskalos

It makes sense. If you take the unscrupulousness out of horse racing...then the Louisiana game is out of business.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It makes sense. If you take the unscrupulousness out of horse racing...then the Louisiana game is out of business.
This statement is TRUE.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

How any state would not want to be controlled by a federal agency is beyond me. Federal agencies are never used as political tools so I am sure that it would be in the best interests of all, done at a low cost. When I think of federal agencies, I think integrity!

It would probably be too much to ask of a bettor to refrain from supporting unscrupulous racing locations.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
How any state would not want to be controlled by a federal agency is beyond me. Federal agencies are never used as political tools so I am sure that it would be in the best interests of all, done at a low cost. When I think of federal agencies, I think integrity!

It would probably be too much to ask of a bettor to refrain from supporting unscrupulous racing locations.
I think most are doing this outside of maybe the Fair Grounds. Louisiana Downs is more of a zombie track than Arlington currently.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think most are doing this outside of maybe the Fair Grounds. Louisiana Downs is more of a zombie track than Arlington currently.
Evangeline used to have 12-14 runners in seemingly every race now they are struggling to fill 8 race cards
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
thespaah

HISA as a reaction by the federal government because the horse racing industry fails to police itself.
As with any industry, the people who run the sport in the respective jurisdictions have a hodgepodge of rules and regulations that vary greatly from state to state. Also, the desire to enforce as well as the penalties for violations also vary wildly.
The Congress viewed this as a lack of oversight. And when the federal government gets an opportunity to police an industry that it believes is not policing itself or is doing a poor job, they jump in.
Horse Racing leadership is to blame here.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
alydar

Quote:

Never seen a horseplayer boycott work with any real impact. While federal intervention is not the best outcome, what do you expect? This industry has been begging for intervention for years.
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar View Post
Never seen a horseplayer boycott work with any real impact. While federal intervention is not the best outcome, what do you expect? This industry has been begging for intervention for years.

Clearly, Louisiana is not begging for intervention. If they can't deliver an acceptable product to their customers then they should soon wither away due to a lack of demand.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Clearly, Louisiana is not begging for intervention. If they can't deliver an acceptable product to their customers then they should soon wither away due to a lack of demand.
If they weren't subsidized, they would.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #13
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If they weren't subsidized, they would.

I think subsidies are a bad policy for success in racing. I also think that Louisiana can turn that spigot off when subsidies no longer serve their intended purpose.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #14
jay68802

Personally, would love to see the lawsuit dismissed. It is not like the industry did not know the bill was in the process of being passed. Then sat on their hands by not addressing the issues.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply