Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Cincinnati Reds

Get to know the name...four games back at the All Star break and closing fast.
These guys are going to the playoffs this year.

Need to trade for another pitcher or two in the second half and maybe shore up the bullpen, but the lineup is solid.

We haven't had a club capable of making much noise in about 30yrs.
The time is now.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
Zydeco

How are you a Reds fan living in Cajunland?
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco View Post
Grew up where there was no MLB team

My childhood hero was George Foster.

My family is from south Louisiana, and I live here now, but I was raised elsewhere. Went to LSU for college and never left.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Going to have a lot of Reds throughout the country that grew up in the 70's when there wasn't a lot of baseball on national tv, when it was on they were on the majority of the time.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Zydeco

" Red beans and Rice, should would be nice , down where the Mississippi River flows" Charlie Daniels 1977...lived in Fairfield, Ohio near Cincy until 1967...moved to Columbus...then the Big Red Machine came on....George Foster was a monster! Got to watch the World Series in school.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
dnlgfnk

Reds have 6 games left with Milwaukee.

If Brew goes roughly .500 in non-Red games, they would have 86-70 record. Reds would have to play 38-28 (.575) pace in non-Brewer games, vs. third easiest schedule...

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaini...edule_strength

Probably need to go at least 4-2 vs. Crew, beginning this weekend w/Woodruff vs. Castillo, Hauser vs. Mahle, Burnes vs. Gray.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
" Red beans and Rice, should would be nice , down where the Mississippi River flows" Charlie Daniels 1977...lived in Fairfield, Ohio near Cincy until 1967...moved to Columbus...then the Big Red Machine came on....George Foster was a monster! Got to watch the World Series in school.
Those were the days huh? We had teachers who would fight over TV's for the classroom

I am pretty sure these were the early 70's games. Reds vs Baltimore and Oakland if I remember.

It was a good place to grow up.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
Rex Phinney

I don't think I can get on board with this. I like the Reds and they have some nice pieces but Milwaukee's pitching is full beast mode.

The Reds are getting huge production from Wade Miley, I don't think that can carry through the year. The do have Castillo and Gray but the rest of the pitching staff seems a little suspect. This though is not a problem unique to the Reds. All of baseball seems to be have a cobbled together walking wounded pitching staff.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
TJDave

Growing up in rural Oklahoma I became a Cardinal fan because that’s the only broadcast I could get on the radio. I still prefer to listen to games rather than watch.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
dlivery

Swallowed sardina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Grew up where there was no MLB team

My childhood hero was George Foster.

My family is from south Louisiana, and I live here now, but I was raised elsewhere. Went to LSU for college and never left.
Nice
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Those were the days huh? We had teachers who would fight over TV's for the classroom

I am pretty sure these were the early 70's games. Reds vs Baltimore and Oakland if I remember.

It was a good place to grow up.

Wheeled the TV in the classroom on the cart..... turned it on... and saw Brooks throw out somebody from deep in the hole...70? I was 12.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Wheeled the TV in the classroom on the cart..... turned it on... and saw Brooks throw out somebody from deep in the hole...70? I was 12.
Yep. CJ’s Dad used to razz me about that series. He also introduced me to Brooks Robinson……which was neat as hell……
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #13
thaskalos

The Reds better do something about their relief pitching...or they are sure to be watching the playoffs on TV.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yep. CJ’s Dad used to razz me about that series. He also introduced me to Brooks Robinson……which was neat as hell……

I think if they kept track of what fielder stole the most potential bases from opposition hitters, Brooks Robinson would have been high on that list. It seems he robbed someone of a sure double down the line once or more a game. Not much of a baseball fan now but back then I was a California Angels fan, living in So Cal. We only had 7 TV channels but they always showed the Angels and Dodgers away games, and then national broadcast games on weekends. So most nights there was a baseball game on. As for 70's Reds favorite player I liked Pete Rose.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #15
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think if they kept track of what fielder stole the most potential bases from opposition hitters, Brooks Robinson would have been high on that list. It seems he robbed someone of a sure double down the line once or more a game. Not much of a baseball fan now but back then I was a California Angels fan, living in So Cal. We only had 7 TV channels but they always showed the Angels and Dodgers away games, and then national broadcast games on weekends. So most nights there was a baseball game on. As for 70's Reds favorite player I liked Pete Rose.
16 consecutive Gold Gloves from 1960-1974. I doubt we will ever see that again. Just amazing. And yes, many of those assists were of the spectacular variety.