Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #31
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Skip Bayless is getting some love in this thread? Yikes, is there anyone who respects this guy or thinks he has a strong sports opinion?
I was thinking that you remind me of the Skip Bayless of Pace Advantage. No offense intended.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #32
cj's dad

The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times? have to stay ghettofabulous/licious right He went to Stanford- Think it has anything to do with the fact he is a great player?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #33
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I was thinking that you remind me of the Skip Bayless of Pace Advantage. No offense intended.
Yeah, maybe in some ways, but Skip's "schtick" is that his opinion is bought and paid for.....he says what he's told to say, he argues the side he's told to argue.

If someone wants to pay me, they could sway my opinion too.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #34
mountainman

There's a great article that pertains to this now posted on msn's home page. It's by a guy named Clay Travers and entitled "'Can we please stop talking about 'class' in sports?"

Travers compellingly decries our insistence on disingenuously meek interview responses from professional athletes. It seems the writer's contention that obligatory adherence to the universal script reveals more about our fetish for decorum than it does the true nature of pro-sports and its participants. And I agree.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
There's a great article that pertains to this now posted on msn's home page. It's by a guy named Clay Travers and entitled "'Can we please stop talking about 'class' in sports?"

Travers compellingly decries our insistence on disingenuously meek interview responses from professional athletes. It seems the writer's contention that obligatory adherence to the universal script reveals more about our fetish for decorum than it does the true nature of pro-sports and its participants. And I agree.
I think the problem many sports fans have is that they don't realize that Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball are NOT any different than Professional wrestling as far as entertainment goes. Sure, maybe those sports are less "crooked" and some people think they're 100% honest (you know, the ones who were born last night lol) but for the most part, its all a big "reality show" and the only reason these games exist is to sell you products, people take these games WAY too seriously, i don't see any reason to sit in front of a tv and watch all these commercials unless you have either a wager on the games OR plan on using the video information to make betting decisions in the future. Anyone who watches these games for "Free" is the biggest sucker on the planet.

I had a close friend text me yesterday and told me that watching the NFL games live is torture and his brain is fried from all the commercials....i told him that even watching on DELAY and fast forwarding the commercials is torture...but, at any rate, these games are being played so the consumer can sit thru advertisements. Nothing more. People think they're watching the game with a few commercials sprinkled in, but its really the opposite, they're watching hours of commercials with a few plays sprinkled in.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
Stillriledup
Veteran

Racism is alive and well according to this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...game-rant.html
Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #37
newtothegame

Quote:
I think the problem many sports fans have is that they don't realize that Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball are NOT any different than Professional wrestling as far as entertainment goes. Sure, maybe those sports are less "crooked" and some people think they're 100% honest (you know, the ones who were born last night lol) but for the most part, its all a big "reality show" and the only reason these games exist is to sell you products, people take these games WAY too seriously, i don't see any reason to sit in front of a tv and watch all these commercials unless you have either a wager on the games OR plan on using the video information to make betting decisions in the future. Anyone who watches these games for "Free" is the biggest sucker on the planet.

I had a close friend text me yesterday and told me that watching the NFL games live is torture and his brain is fried from all the commercials....i told him that even watching on DELAY and fast forwarding the commercials is torture...but, at any rate, these games are being played so the consumer can sit thru advertisements. Nothing more. People think they're watching the game with a few commercials sprinkled in, but its really the opposite, they're watching hours of commercials with a few plays sprinkled in.
I agree the games are intended for entertainment to an extent....
But, I wouldn't go so far as to compare the NFL, Baseball, NBA, Hockey with wrestling......

Tell Bowman who damn near had his leg snapped yesterday its all just entertainment.....
Or how about the numerous pitchers who have had 100mph line drives off of the skull.....etc etc....

There is a certain entertainment factor but it is very different in my opinion.
Wrestling is completely staged these days and trash talk is all a part of it.
I have no problem with the in game back and forth but, I truly think Sherman crossed the line once the game was over and he ran up behind crab and taunted him (first by smacking him in the buttocks, then in his face) and finally the choke imitation.....
Purely classless in my opinion......
Winner should act accordingly.......
I remember a few years back where Manning caught a lot of grief for not shaking Brees hand after losing......and rightfully so!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #38
horses4courses

Quote:
Racism is alive and well according to this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...game-rant.html
There is, also, no shortage of it in the UK and Europe.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #39
horses4courses

Back to the Sherman interview.....

horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #40
Robert Fischer
clean money

[yt=Richard Sherman WWF Promo!]tjiQ6yv0Dg4[/yt]
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #41
thaskalos

The Sherman-Crabtree feud was apparently months in the making...

http://nypost.com/2014/01/20/sherman...charity-event/
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #42
ArlJim78

I don't get all the uproar. I thought he was in the moment, yes full of himself, and expectedly emotional right at the moment of the Andrews interview. I got a chuckle out of it. At least he didn't drop a bunch of F bombs.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #43
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I don't get all the uproar. I thought he was in the moment, yes full of himself, and expectedly emotional right at the moment of the Andrews interview. I got a chuckle out of it. At least he didn't drop a bunch of F bombs.
People in America much too sensitive...they're looking for any reason to cut someone down to size. Sherman is playing a violent game and was in the heat of the battle mere seconds before this interview. Sherman seems to be an otherwise good person who stays out of trouble, helps his community, gives to charities, helps young people, etc.

A guy like this should get a pass, he's even apologized when he really didnt have to.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #44
mountainman

Quote:
People in America much too sensitive...they're looking for any reason to cut someone down to size.

A guy like this should get a pass, he's even apologized when he really didnt have to.
Very perceptive. We quickly pass judgment on verbal miscues as if WE'VE never acted out or misspoken-or. at least, would handle ourselves FAR better than the object of our scorn did in some situation we've NEVER been exposed to. Then we sit back like kings and queens waiting for the pc offender to grovel before us -when we're not the "aggrieved" party to begin with. And then we REALLY go to work in dissecting the "sincerity" of said apology in excruciating detail.

Who, exactly, died and made us the all-knowing gods of propriety and decorum?

Last edited by mountainman; 01-22-2014 at 08:18 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #45
Overlay

Across sporting lines, Hank Aaron has tweeted his support to Sherman:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ve-my-support/
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: