Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #31
Andy Asaro

I finally got to watch it. 8 was 100% quitting and I wouldn't give Rispoli any days off. Very minor IMO
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #32
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I finally got to watch it. 8 was 100% quitting and I wouldn't give Rispoli any days off. Very minor IMO
It looked worse than it is.

I can't blame fans for getting upset because the way the horse took up and stumbled was quite dramatic. But the ruling was defensible because we can't prove it cost the horse a place.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #33
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

I can't blame fans for getting upset because the way the horse took up and stumbled was quite dramatic. But the ruling was defensible because we can't prove it cost the horse a place.
I was on the phone with someone in the ownership group and they felt their horse was fading but initially thought Rispoli slammed their horse and should get days. I know I sometimes see things wrong in the heat of the moment and that's probably what happened to most people who thought there should have been a DQ
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #34
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I just watched it and agree. I don't think it cost the a placing as he was going nowhere anyway. Also it seems either it was the reaction of the horse or his jockey that made things worse than they were.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #35
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Every film review is different. It's a subjective decision and they do what they think is fair and equitable in each instance. Always using the rulebook as a foundation. I learned long ago. No matter what, someone is going to be upset. Comes with the territory. If a person can't deal with that they shouldn't be a steward.
Vic,

#1 Thank you for explaining the stewards side of reviews/inquiries.
#2 I'm just looking for consistency in rulings and I know not every incident is the same, but I've seen where a horse gets DQ'd for crossing in front of another horse ( no contact and clear in front) and then a few races later the same thing happens and the horse stays up. If the stewards were to summarize what happened, it would probably make it easier to understand why 1 horse was DQ'd and not the other. I know stewards have a tough job b/c you can't make everyone happy, but explaining the reason might help. Just my opinion and as said before I didn't have a wager in the race. I just saw the race and explained why #7 wasn't DQ'd in my opinion. I'm pure gambler, no owner, trainer, etc. Have a great day.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #36
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
There are some tracks that have started having the stewards explain the decisions. Either way, DQ or as is. Kentucky is one. I've heard their Chief Steward Barbara Borden do it and she's excellent. I think Iowa might do it as well. We did it for a short time at Hollywood Park with Darrell McHargue and it was very well received. I'm not sure why it ended.

I'm all for it. The more transparency the better. And if well presented perhaps the public would have a better understanding of why they ruled the way they did.

I'd love to work as a steward at a track that implements that protocol. I think I'd have an aptitude for it.

Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #37
Nitro

Quote:

I’m not sure which film footage you may have seen, but immediately after the race TVG showed the overhead drone film footage a number of times. Yes, Rispoli made a bold move on #7 to get clear, but the #8 was obviously tiring and anyone watching live or otherwise could clearly see that there’s no way that horse was going to place anywhere but out of the money with or without the incident.

As I previously mentioned, Congrats to Rispoli for some excellent race riding!
It was a nice paying Super too!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I’m not sure which film footage you may have seen, but immediately after the race TVG showed the overhead drone film footage a number of times. Yes, Rispoli made a bold move on #7 to get clear, but the #8 was obviously tiring and anyone watching live or otherwise could clearly see that there’s no way that horse was going to place anywhere but out of the money with or without the incident.

As I previously mentioned, Congrats to Rispoli for some excellent race riding!
It was a nice paying Super too!

I haven't been to live racing other than one outing at a dog track in the 10 years since I moved to Virginia. When did drones start flying over the track? Also are stewards using drone footage when making decisions?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #39
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I haven't been to live racing other than one outing at a dog track in the 10 years since I moved to Virginia. When did drones start flying over the track? Also are stewards using drone footage when making decisions?
Several tracks have drone footage, offers a good perspective.

No stewards are not using the footage to make any decisions, yet.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #40
v j stauffer

Quote:
I'm happy to use any angle of any footage from any source to make the best possible decision.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #41
Nitro

Quote:
Where have you been?
The overhead drone coverage is as far as I'm concerned offers the best vantage point for the running of the entire race. The view is like the Goodyear blimp on steroids!
Why not tune in to TVG when they cover the races at Del Mar.
Just just might agree!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #42
taxicab

Quote:
While I respect your opinion. It's just that. One person's opinion. So saying "should" is a reach. Especially since with due respect you probably haven't had the training that goes into making those difficult calls.
It doesn't take a chicken to recognize an egg.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #43
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
It doesn't take a chicken to recognize an egg.
Perhaps that chicken hasn't been to Stewards school?
Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 PM   #44
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Perhaps that chicken hasn't been to Stewards school?
I could step in right now and outperform most Stewards in the country while never needing to attend a day in Stewards school...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #45
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I could step in right now and outperform most Stewards in the country while never needing to attend a day in Stewards school...
There's a lot more to being a steward that inquiry film review.

It's not really a matter of performance.

As I said every decision is subjective.

That being said. I've met many non stewards who were excellent at watching films.

I have no reason to believe you couldn't be one of them.