Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #46
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Life isn't fair.

The time for dealing with those issues is before you sign up to be a teammate on a national Olympic squad.

Once you are there, battling to attain great things with your teammates quitting is quitting.
You know, maybe she didn't realize when she signed up she was going to hear the name of her abuser about 500 times before she stepped into the gym. I know I did, so she probably heard it many more. Who knows what that would trigger in someone?

Life isn't fair? Yeah, ok man. Lets throw sexually abusing a child into the "life isn't fair" category. What a tool.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #47
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Pussies and wimps breed pussies and wimps. Welcome to the new US.
jocko699...you are NOT alone in that sentiment.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #48
proximity

i'm certainly nothing compared to ms biles or even the many incredible people in pa off topic (not even kidding) but i found that i can still add value to the world by showing up and helping others.

other days like today i'm scheduled to spar a big body puncher at boxing. i sleep well but i'm still digesting my girlfriend's salmon when i wake up. i might say something in my mind like "well you show up to help the team more than anyone...." so i'll turn to the mental toughness king david goggins and ask "what if i do it anyway?" and this seems to work for whatever reason.

fortunately the salmon got knocked further down my stomach than it did up.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #49
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You know, maybe she didn't realize when she signed up she was going to hear the name of her abuser about 500 times before she stepped into the gym. I know I did, so she probably heard it many more. Who knows what that would trigger in someone?

Life isn't fair? Yeah, ok man. Lets throw sexually abusing a child into the "life isn't fair" category. What a tool.

How the hell does someone get away with abusing hundreds of victims multiple times over the course of 20 some odd years?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 05:43 PM   #50
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

Did she tell you that this is what caused her to withdraw? Because her actual words were that she was "stressed out from a long week and odd Olympics" and that she "wasn't having any fun out there"

But I mean she could have certainly clued you in that there is more to it than that and left everyone else out.

I'm in no way condoning sexually abusing a child, I'm saying that the strongest among us overcome challenges in their life. (but again she never mentioned this in any of her comments after withdrawing)

She is fine with being a celebrity and not needing to win anymore medals, that is fine.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #51
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
other days like today i'm scheduled to spar a big body puncher at boxing.
I boxed on and off as an amateur till I was 23. I sparred a lot and did a lot of heavy bag work, but due to injuries only had a couple dozen fights. A bad motorcycle accident was the injury at 23 that caused me to stop. I started training again in my early 30's just wanting to get one pro fight and hang up the gloves. I was inspired by the Tuesday Night Fights on the USA channel, they showed some real low grade heavyweight club fighters on there, many times both guys fighting had losing records. I figured I could easily take one of those guys out and retire 1-0, undefeated! I then proceeded to get in another damn motorcycle accident.

At 60 I feel worse after playing plumber (re-plumbing whole house) for a couple hours than any long sparring session or college football game (linebacker) made me feel. I knew my shoulders are shot but using that pex crimp tool a dozen times or so in a couple hours make my hands hurt and my shoulders hurt for days. I just work a half day at it and then take the next two days off.

I was a human punching bag, the amateur version of Tex Cobb, but I think it was all the punches I threw are what has cause long term damage, for me anyway. Shots to the head do effect people differently, Smokin Joe Frazier pretty much was mentally the same all the way to the end. Ali started showing signs of brain issues in his early 40's.

Moral of the story, if the guy nails you a lot you maybe the one hurting tomorrow, but he could be the one suffering 20 years from now.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #52
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
but I think it was all the punches I threw are what has cause long term damage, for me anyway..

yes!! it is killing my lead shoulder!

anyhow, hope to be able to watch some more of the track events!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Did she tell you that this is what caused her to withdraw? Because her actual words were that she was "stressed out from a long week and odd Olympics" and that she "wasn't having any fun out there"

But I mean she could have certainly clued you in that there is more to it than that and left everyone else out.

I'm in no way condoning sexually abusing a child, I'm saying that the strongest among us overcome challenges in their life. (but again she never mentioned this in any of her comments after withdrawing)

She is fine with being a celebrity and not needing to win anymore medals, that is fine.
She doesn't have to clue me in to anything. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt given her situation. You'd rather condemn her apparently. You don't think hearing her assaultor's name repeatedly would cause a long week, especially when she was basically cooped up in a dormitory with little to do as a diversion due to Covid? I mean, maybe she wasn't, I obviously don't know. But again, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

She is the best of all time so I'd say she already overcame a ton of challenges, more than 99% of us ever had to face. For the record I'm not praising her for withdrawing. But I'm not going to judge her negatively at all. That is the problem I have with some of the comments in this thread. I'm out of this one, I've said my piece.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #54
CheckMark

Quote:

Um no like that would spark a lot of controversy over that so it's a good thing that she said that even though she should speak up about it.

Some people don't all overcome their abusers because it stays with them for the rest of their lives. Yes some people do get over it but for the majority of the women in life don't which is pretty unfortunate. They don't ever forget. Period. A lot of posters on her think "women can get over it and if they don't they are pu**ies and snowflakes" Like seriously?

It's her decision if she wants to draw out and also if you were in that situation you would have probably done something like that.

Pretty sad what women have to go through to strive/try and be the best in their own world these days.

Last edited by CheckMark; 07-30-2021 at 07:40 PM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 10:14 PM   #55
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Mondo Duplantis

Was all excited to watch this kid from Lafayette, La...also an LSU Tiger...AND the world record holder in the Pole Vault, compete for Olympic gold...

Only to find out he's competing for Sweden!

Whaaaaaat!?!?!?!?

His mother is Swedish and father is American, but he was born HERE, he lives HERE, and goes to school HERE.
Suddenly, I'm not so interested anymore.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 07-30-2021 at 10:16 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2021, 07:16 AM   #56
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Suddenly, I'm not so interested anymore.
I don’t know what you thought the Olympics were all about but here’s what the Olympic committee says they are all about:

THE OLYMPIC CREED

“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

It’s a communist plot

Last edited by TJDave; 07-31-2021 at 07:18 AM.
TJDave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #57
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So why do they have medals and not participation trophies?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 AM   #58
davew

Biles gets bronze in balance beam individual
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #59
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Biles gets bronze in balance beam individual
And the Gold in attention-seeking.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #60
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
And the Gold in attention-seeking.
Yeah, because she wasn't getting enough attention already going into the Olympics. Come on, man.