Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

A good omen for England...Italy has already suffered a loss on English soil today, as Matteo Berretini lost the Wimbledon final to Djokovic.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #32
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Yesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #33
thaskalos

Very seldom do you see a penalty get stopped by the keeper if it's struck high. And yet...the vast majority of the players kick them along the ground.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #34
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Ooooof !

England sub in Rashford and Sancho specifically for the PK shootout and they both missed

After the Shaw goal in the 2nd minute they never had another good chance for the rest of the game.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #35
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Ooooof !

England sub in Rashford and Sancho specifically for the PK shootout and they both missed

After the Shaw goal in the 2nd minute they never had another good chance for the rest of the game.
Rashford's penalty might be the lamest I've ever seen.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #36
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Very seldom do you see a penalty get stopped by the keeper if it's struck high. And yet...the vast majority of the players kick them along the ground.
Planning to shoot low still requires selecting a spot to strike the ball which is a bit below the "equator". Only the best of the best can lower their striking spot even further without risk of over the bar.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #37
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Planning to shoot low still requires selecting a spot to strike the ball which is a bit below the "equator". Only the best of the best can lower their striking spot even further without risk of over the bar.
The penalty doesn't need stunts and stupid tricks like Rashford put on display today. I remember many years ago, when Holland's penalty shooter Johan Neeskens was asked about the art of penalty shooting. "I make up my mind where I want to go with the ball, I put my head down and block out the goalkeeper...and I shoot the damn ball with a lot of purpose. If I do everything the way I am supposed to...the goalkeeper doesn't even enter into the picture"...the great Dutchman said.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #38
dnlgfnk

Quote:
The penalty doesn't need stunts and stupid tricks like Rashford put on display today. I remember many years ago, when Holland's penalty shooter Johan Neeskens was asked about the art of penalty shooting. "I make up my mind where I want to go with the ball, I put my head down and block out the goalkeeper...and I shoot the damn ball with a lot of purpose. If I do everything the way I am supposed to...the goalkeeper doesn't even enter into the picture"...the great Dutchman said.
Completely agree. I'm nobody except someone who took his team's penalty kicks for years, as well as the son of a St.Louis Hall of Famer. But I would think the physics doesn't differ. If you strike the ball where you intend with the necessary force, then what Johan said.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #39
thaskalos

Another Dutchman...

Old 07-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #40
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Sunday, July 11th, 2021
EURO 2020 Finals

Italy vs England Under 2.5
Italy vs England Italy+0.5 or Italy+225

2-6 for EURO Over-Unders
ITALY! ITALY!

Easy money on Italy+0.5 and Italy+225!
Congratulations to everyone who jumped on for Italy today!
I don't think I got the under 2.5 though?

Anyways I am not an expert on soccer or any other sport but when I have a pick it sometimes will come through when you least expect it!
Old 07-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #41
thaskalos

Quote:
ITALY! ITALY!

Easy money on Italy+0.5 and Italy+225!
Congratulations to everyone who jumped on for Italy today!
I don't think I got the under 2.5 though?

Anyways I am not an expert on soccer or any other sport but when I have a pick it sometimes will come through when you least expect it!
How many times do you have to be told that the (Italy +225) bet was a LOSER?

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-11-2021 at 10:01 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #42
CheckMark

Quote:
How many times do you have to be told that the (Italy +225) bet was a LOSER?
Sorry I thought it won. And I have only been told by you

So doesn’t that mean I went 0-3 today?

I guess my bets “lost” since they didn’t win in 90+ minutes right?

Last edited by CheckMark; 07-11-2021 at 10:22 PM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #43
thaskalos

Quote:
Sorry I thought it won. And I have only been told by you

So doesn’t that mean I went 0-3 today?

I guess my bets “lost” since they didn’t win in 90+ minutes right?
Really? Why don't you go back and read post #27 again. You are a seasoned gambler...and you can't figure out that the +225 on Italy could only be a winner if Italy won the game in regulation? Do you seriously think that the bookies would make Italy a +225 underdog for the entire GAME? Come on man...
Old 07-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #44
snappit

Have got to say I'm devastated at the moment and the feeling is echoed all over the country. I was only 4 when England won the World Cup and have been waiting for a moment like this all my life. Time after time we have suffered disappointment but there really was hope this time. Sadly it was not to be.

Congratulations to Italy, a proud football nation, they were the better team on the night and deserved their victory. They clearly should have had a player (possibly two) sent off but I'm not going to let that get in the way, they won and deserved it.

I'm proud of the England team and what this group of incredibly young (second youngest in the tournament) achieved on the pitch and the way they behaved off it.

I cannot imagine the courage it took for a 19yo boy to stand up and be counted by taking a penalty in such a pressurised situation. This match had the biggest TV audience since the funeral of Diana. Proud of all of them but especially to those took the penalties.

Sadly things have taken a bad turn today with several instances of vile racial abuse towards the three players who missed their penalties and unfortunately this is what has dominated the news all day. Players and the managers have put out statements about it as well as Prince William. Harry Kane our captain put out this.

'Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high. They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they’ve had since last night. If you abuse anyone on social media you’re not an @England fan and we don’t want you.'

Perhaps amongst many though this statement from Marcus Rashford, a young man who has impressed so many with his activities off the pitch helping deprived children, was the most powerful.

"I don't even know where to start and I don't even know how to put into words how I am feeling at this exact time.

"I've had a difficult season, I think that's been clear for everyone to see and I probably went into that final with a lack of confidence. I've always backed myself for a penalty, but something didn't feel quite right.

"During the long run-up I was saving myself a bit of time and unfortunately the result was not what I wanted. I felt as though I had let my team-mates down. I felt as if I'd let everyone down. A penalty was all I'd been asked to contribute for the team. I can score penalties in my sleep, so why not that one?

"It's been playing in my head over and over since I struck the ball and there's probably not a word to quite describe how it feels. Final. 55 years. 1 penalty. History. All I can say is sorry. I wish it had of gone differently.

"Whilst I continue to say sorry I want to shout out my team-mates. This summer has been one of the best camps I've experienced and you've all played a role in that.

"A brotherhood has been built that is unbreakable. Your success is my success. Your failures are mine.

"I've grown into a sport where I expected to read things written about myself.

"Whether it be the colour of my skin, where I grew up, or, most recently, how I decide to spend my time off the pitch.

"I can take critique of my performance all day long, my penalty was not good enough, it should have gone in but I will never apologise for who I am and where I came from. I've felt no prouder moment than wearing those three lions on my chest and seeing my family cheer me on in a crowd of 10s of thousands.

"I dreamt of days like this. The messages I've received today have been positively overwhelming and seeing the response in Withington had me on the verge of tears. The communities that always wrapped their arms around me continue to hold me up.

"I'm Marcus Rashford, 23-year-old black man from Withington and Wythenshawe, South Manchester. If I have nothing else I have that. For all the kind messages thank you. I'll be back stronger. We'll be back stronger."

Last edited by snappit; 07-12-2021 at 06:31 PM.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #45
CheckMark

Quote:
Really? Why don't you go back and read post #27 again. You are a seasoned gambler...and you can't figure out that the +225 on Italy could only be a winner if Italy won the game in regulation? Do you seriously think that the bookies would make Italy a +225 underdog for the entire GAME? Come on man...
Sorry thaskalos I guess I should have read post #27 vs asking about it

At least that seasoned gambler has a nice ring to it but definitely not for soccer
thanks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: