Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: What is your primary handicapping method?
Poll Options
What is your primary handicapping method?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #241
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
I'm in a quandary to qualify About the Base on his Form, plus there's a 41 days off, but 3 recent works. In addition her recent lack of tactical speed has gotten her into traffic woes in 5/6 of her last races. With the drop from Sar, and her top class ratings, I'm leaving her for dirt and turf.

So for Turf I have them
(edit): Baronet would be a longshot play for ITM if it stays on turf

For Dirt my top two are the same:
The 's lack of tactical speed continued, and she had several openings but could not take advantage of them. My initial suspicions on her form were correct, even though I hadn't eliminated her. Baronet hit for $25.40-10.60-4.80.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 10-12-2017 at 01:55 PM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #242
jasperson

It came in 5,6,7,8 Again speed fig being wrong or in error had nothing to do with the winner. All 4 horse had shown enough speed to win this race. My analysis(and Andy's)over estimated the negative effect on the class jump from clm10k to clm35k and under estimated the positive effect of the 8 lb drop in weight. I used to be strictly a speed handicapper,but now I have changed. Now I look to see if a horse has shown in the past 4 races that he has enough speed to win this race at this distance and start my handicapping from there. These 4 horses had shown speed fig faster than the race par of 82. I will continue to degrade a horse like the 5 for making that jump in class. In long run I think that is right.
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #243
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson View Post
It came in 5,6,7,8 Again speed fig being wrong or in error had nothing to do with the winner. All 4 horse had shown enough speed to win this race. My analysis(and Andy's)over estimated the negative effect on the class jump from clm10k to clm35k and under estimated the positive effect of the 8 lb drop in weight. I used to be strictly a speed handicapper,but now I have changed. Now I look to see if a horse has shown in the past 4 races that he has enough speed to win this race at this distance and start my handicapping from there. These 4 horses had shown speed fig faster than the race par of 82. I will continue to degrade a horse like the 5 for making that jump in class. In long run I think that is right.
I agree with your analysis of this race, the one thing i might point out is that under claiming conditions, after recording a speed figure that qualifies for winning, the class rise should be looked at as a positive. If the horse just runs a good race with the same or slightly lower speed figure at the higher class then it can be viewed as a negative in its next start. If the class move is to a non-claiming race, then it should be viewed as a negative unless the speed figure earned is the highest in the field by more than 6 points.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #244
jasperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I agree with your analysis of this race, the one thing i might point out is that under claiming conditions, after recording a speed figure that qualifies for winning, the class rise should be looked at as a positive. If the horse just runs a good race with the same or slightly lower speed figure at the higher class then it can be viewed as a negative in its next start. If the class move is to a non-claiming race, then it should be viewed as a negative unless the speed figure earned is the highest in the field by more than 6 points.
His speed fig in his last race was a 66 in the slop so it didn't indicate a improved form. It was the 2nd race back that he ran the 84.
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #245
dlivery

Classic example of Handicapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson View Post
His speed fig in his last race was a 66 in the slop so it didn't indicate a improved form. It was the 2nd race back that the horse ran the 84.
Last race could of been a excuse to move beyond his last line to use the 2nd line for showing improving form.

Just asking
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #246
GhostZapper1358

Handicapping merthods

I have had very good success with regression analysis. I suggest you Google it and see what you think.
GhostZapper1358 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #247
jay68802

I can't spell it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #248
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

G-o-o-g-l-e
Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #249
bugboy

spell

I-T
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #250
jay68802

Thanks guys, I got it.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #251
GhostZapper1358

Thumbs up Regression Analysis Handicapping

Google thoroughbred regression analysis. Regression analysis is statistical modeling used in many industries. I won't go into the math detail but it determines how the horse should perform today against the other horses entered in that race. Past performances are valuable but not the foundation of the model. The model simply identifies which horses should run competitively based on the sum of all varaibles within the population of horses entered in that race. It is not a model of a single horses but a model on all the horses.
GhostZapper1358 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #252
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Weren't you the guy whose first ever post I deleted because it was a pitch to come to your site and buy what you're selling?

Yeah, I think it was...

Regression analysis and horse racing has been around since the beginning of time...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #253
bobphilo

Regression analysis is used to predict how the change in one variable will change the value of another variable. In other words it's used to predict 1st year collge GPA based on the students SAT score.
In horse racing, for example, it could be used to predict a horse's time or speed figure (dependent variable) based on any other variable (independent variable). As can be imagined, any number of other dependent variables can be used such as previous speed figure(s), average class, etc. Any statistical software can do it. The trick is knowing what variable to use. It can also be used to calculate what percentage of the dependent variable (speed figure) is due to the effect of the independent variable. Since no one variable (handicapping factor) is wholey responsible for another dependent variable, there is also multiple regression analysis which shows what combination of independent variables can predict the dependent variable. Again the trick is to find what these variables are and how to weight them.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #254
bpiets
Veteran

The advantage is to the person who can find a way to count the number of strides a horse takes in each race run and then considers the way the horse ran same...🤓😎
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #255
bpiets
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiets View Post
The advantage is to the person who can find a way to count the number of strides a horse takes in each race run and then considers the way the horse ran same...🤓😎
Then compares each horse in the race being run...ave. pace / stride etc...and conditioning for that particular race entered...lots of home work....
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: