Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #61
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
That exchange with him and Franken was pretty funny.
He should told Franken, ala Stewart Smiley...

[YT="I'm good enough....."]-DIETlxquzY[/YT]
Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #62
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Dingy Harry made if a simple majority, for nominations, at least - the Repubs can make a ham sandwich Sec of State if they want to.

Which is far better than one we have in there today!
I'm not sure what level of incredulity gets you sanctioned, but are you out of your mind?

So it was Harry Reid's fault that Trump picked a guy that thought he was going to be Secretary of Oil and Gas?

Outside of the Hospital for the Criminally Insane, I'm not sure we could find five people who would agree Rick Perry was "far better" as the Secretary of Energy than Ernie Moniz.

As for Secretary of State, I might concede we'd find 10 people who believed Rex Tillerson was more qualified than Kerry as Secretary of State.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #63
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
Read the part about cloture.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #64
elysiantraveller

Interestingly he is keeping A LOT of Obama appointees in key administration posts that deal with the war on terror.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #65
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
I'm not sure what level of incredulity gets you sanctioned, but are you out of your mind? No, but I understand how it looks that way to you!

So it was Harry Reid's fault that Trump picked a guy that thought he was going to be Secretary of Oil and Gas? No, it was his fault the requirement of 60 votes is gone. Hapless Harry did it to benefit his demo senate, now it makes the dems next to impedant.

Outside of the Hospital for the Criminally Insane, I'm not sure we could find five people who would agree Rick Perry was "far better" as the Secretary of Energy than Ernie Moniz. Larry Fine would be better than that idiot.

As for Secretary of State, I might concede we'd find 10 people who believed Rex Tillerson was more qualified than Kerry as Secretary of State.
Do we really need a Dept of Energy, even with uh, ah, uuuuh, whatshisname in charge of it?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #66
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Interestingly he is keeping A LOT of Obama appointees in key administration posts that deal with the war on terror.
I would guess a lot of people on OBama's team are highly qualified and competent people, more so without Obama's handcuffs on them.

My boss's last day was Friday. I am sure our team will get much better results without that a-hole holding everyone back.

I think that speaks to Trump's wanting to put together a good team. He said he would reach across the aisle to get things done. Obama never did that.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #67
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Do we really need a Dept of Energy, even with uh, ah, uuuuh, whatshisname in charge of it?
I'm guessing you and Perry could have a very brief conversation about everything you know about what the DOE does.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #68
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

An even shorter one discussing the merits of the DOE as opposed to it's cost.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #69
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Read the part about cloture.
Cloture involves filibusters, are you saying every time a bill is on the floor the minority is going to stall so nothing gets passed?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #70
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
You've told me this twice before...and you've been right all three times.
I just appreciate you for not starting that reply with "friend."
Old 01-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #71
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Cloture involves filibusters, are you saying every time a bill is on the floor the minority is going to stall so nothing gets passed?
Nothing got passed when the dems were the majority party.
Dems do not give a crap about the country or its citizens.
Out nothing past the dems - they are the party of nothing.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 AM   #72
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Didn't the Republicans do exactly that?

I am saying that the minority has a tool at its disposal by which they could delay all legislation indefinitely. I am saying they can use this tool to block the repeal of Obamacare and to block the confirmation of any Trump Supreme Court nominee. I also expect they will obtain some kind of compromise in return for not blocking said repeal and/or said confirmation.

Fact: Only funding bills and confirmations of Presidential nominees other than Supreme Court nominees are immune from filibustering. This means the GOP cannot repeal Obamacare, they can only defund it and they are already doing that. It also means that they can and probably will block the confirmation of any Trump Supreme Court nominee which the Democrats find unacceptable.

Fact: It takes 60 votes for cloture to pass, not 60%. That means if less than 100 senators are present it still takes 60 votes for cloture. Thus if all 51 Republican senators are present and all 49 Democrat senators take the day off the Republicans still do not have the votes required for cloture.

Fact: A senator no longer has to keep talking in order to filibuster. He simply has to announce "I am filibustering this bill." This halts all debate on the bill in question and forestalls any vote. The senator no longer has to read the complete works of William Shakespeare (or whatever) into the Congressional Record in order to filibuster.

Fact: The Vice President or President Pro Tempore of the Senate, whichever happens to be presiding over the Senate at the time, cannot prevent a filibuster by refusing to recognize a senator whom he suspects wants to filibuster. A senator wishing to filibuster can interrupt anyone who has the floor and need only shout "filibuster" loudly enough to be heard.

Fact: It takes a 2/3 vote of senators present to suspend the 60 vote rule, but the motion to suspend the 60 vote rule can be filibustered under the 60 vote rule. I.e., if only 75 senators were present then only 51 votes would be needed for cloture, but 60 votes would still be needed to end a filibuster of of the motion to suspend.

Bottom line: if the Democrats want to block the repeal of Obamacare then can do it for at least the next two years. If the Democrats find that a Trump Supreme Court nominee is unacceptable they can block his confirmation for at least the next two years.

Google it friends, google it.

Thus ends today's civics lesson.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #73
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
google it friends, google it.
Well then, when what you say turns to dust we will tell you the above.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #74
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522
Well then, when what you say turns to dust we will tell you the above.
Right. You do that.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #75
maddog42

Cnn just called Trump a liar about 5 times over his unsubstantiated claims that 3-5 million illegal votes were cast.

My prediction is that Spicer will not last 1 year as press secretary. He is woefully incompetent.

The US is investigating phone calls between Flynn and the Russians.

At least 1.5 million people protested the day after the inauguration and many protests were held world wide.

I am increasing the likelihood of a Trump impeachment to 15%.

Conservative George Will called Trumps inauguration speech the worst in US history.

Last edited by maddog42; 01-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: