Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Teach

Patriots vs. Dolphins

No Brady. No “Razor” fans. No top-rated defensive unit. No Boogeymen. The Patriots are as “watered down” as a 3.2 beer.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins QB, the Harvard grad, Ryan Fitzpatrick is, in my opinion, a difference-maker. As my old high school football coach used to say, he’s “a street fighter.” Nothing fancy. No style points. He’s just a gritty performer who gets the job done.

Question: Will the oft-injured Cam Newton act more like his old self or will he resemble a “Fig Newton?” The Patriots have a lot riding on Newton’s performance today. He can ‘talk the talk, but can he walk the walk”? Are the Patriots asking too much of the “re-tooled” signal-caller? Newton is, most definitely, not the same man who, in his prime, guided the Carolina Panthers.

No preseason games. That cuts both ways. Yet I believe it’s to the Dolphins’ advantage. We all know what “Fitzie” can do. I’m not so sure what we can expect from Newton. Lloyd Bentsen once said to Dan Quayle, “You’re no John Kennedy.” “Cam, you’re no Tom Brady.” I personally believe that bringing in a newcomer, such as Newton, creates more questions than answers, especially in light of the fact that there’s been no opportunity to make preseason-game adjustments.

Then there’s Chan Gailey, the former Cowboys’ mentor. He’s taken over as the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator. If you want to play armchair psychologist, what importance can you place on Brian Flores facing his former boss, Bill Belichick? Former Patriots’ underlings do very well against: “Do Your Job!”

That’s why I’m goin’ to the can-opener and opening up some “Alpo.” Yes, I like “the dogs,” or should I say “the fish.” Last I saw, if you like Dolphins, you’re getting a TD. I’m going to take it run all the way to my nearest bank. Let’s face it, this isn’t your father’s New England Patriots. This year’s addition, or should I say, “audition, is “an unknown.” It’s “x” in your algebra problem. In my opinion, the current edition of the New England Patriots is like a patchwork quilt that’s subject to tears.

Finally, when we win, I’ll catch up with you for “a virtual.” We can hoist a few long-distance malts.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
elhelmete

The game turned out 100% as I expected. (I don't bet sports so no redboarding here).

An unsteady but promising win by a new Patriots team against a divisional rival on the come.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
lamboguy

nice to have you back Teach.

i watched the game today and rooted for the Patriots. i love how Cam Newton played inspired football, the Patriots got their center back this year and that is BIG. maybe by the end of the year the offense is completely in sync and they go further in the playoffs.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
Teach

No sour grapes. Yet that last "non-call" on the Patriots interception at the end of game changed everything. In my opinion, that was, most definitely, pass interference. What might have been? Bills score. Onside kick. Who knows. I hate it when refs, instead of the players, decide the game's outcome.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
jimmyb

Score at the end of the first: Belichick 1, Brady 0
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2020, 02:50 AM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Score at the end of the first: Belichick 1, Brady 0
An unfair comparison, IMO. It's a lot easier to beat a traveling Miami than it is to beat the Saints in New Orleans. Let's see how well Belichick fares next week in Seattle.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-14-2020 at 03:02 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
An unfair comparison, IMO. It's a lot easier to beat a traveling Miami than it is to beat the Saints in New Orleans. Let's see how well Belichick fares next week in Seattle.
2 TD's and 2 Ints' are hardly what we'd normally see from Brady. Brees clearly outplayed Tom. The crowd couldn't have been a factor since the only people in the stands were practice squad players.

Talk radio here in MA debated the Pats success throughout the off season. Consensus was Tom had more to do with it than Belichick. Think it was that way throughout the football world.

And Bucs fans are absolutely the worst. They think if the team is 5 and 7 it's time to print playoff tickets. The same when the team signed Brady. They were already booking hotel suites for the super bowl.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
westernmassbob

I don’t know if this is completely accurate but it seems the Patriots over the last decade have covered the spread more then any team out there.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Exactly, if the Patriots lose two in a row at home vs the Dolphins it would of been an embarrassment. Now the TV folk are selling them as a top flight contender week 1. If the game plan is to run Cam 15 times a game and score 21 points.... certain teams gonna kick their ass. There better be an alternative in Seattle. He won’t make the season doing that, I’d bet on that . Someone gonna get him , and that will be the end of it. Comparing the Saints to the Dolphins.........Lol.... lol

Last edited by burnsy; 09-14-2020 at 02:14 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Exactly, if the Patriots lose two in a row at home vs the Dolphins it would of been an embarrassment. Now the TV folk are selling them as a top flight contender week 1. If the game plan is to run Cam 15 times a game and score 21 points.... certain teams gonna kick their ass. There better be an alternative in Seattle. He won’t make the season doing that, I’d bet on that . Someone gonna get him , and that will be the end of it. Comparing the Saints to the Dolphins.........Lol.... lol

Bucs loss falls squarely on Brady and the coach. 2 interceptions turn into 14 points for the Saints. Take out those two picks and the Bucs win. Brady sacked numerous x's. Too bad he can't run like Mariotta. Gronk couldn't separate, looked like an the over the hill player he is. The big tackle they drafted got pancaked numerous x's. They look like the same old undisciplined bucs. 119 penalty yards, 1 fumble lost.

They gift wrapped this one.

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Bucs loss falls squarely on Brady and the coach. 2 interceptions turn into 14 points for the Saints. Take out those two picks and the Bucs win. Brady sacked numerous x's. Too bad he can't run like Mariotta. Gronk couldn't separate, looked like an the over the hill player he is. The big tackle they drafted got pancaked numerous x's. They look like the same old undisciplined bucs. 119 penalty minutes, 1 fumble lost.

They gift wrapped this one.
Of course they did. I’m not arguing that. The guy is 43 how good can he be? That’s three games , three pick 6’s in a row. But my point is beating the Dolphins when their QB (Fitz) throws 3 picks and Cam has to run 15 times doesn’t make you a world beater either. Season just started ....... the Bucs and the Pats will be also rans. Neither one going far this year. The Saints are just better than the Pats, Bucs and Miami . This entire result was very predictable. Like Thask said, let’s see about Seattle. That’s a far better gauge

Last edited by burnsy; 09-14-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 AM   #12
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Of course they did. I’m not arguing that. The guy is 43 how good can he be? That’s three games , three pick 6’s in a row. But my point is beating the Dolphins when their QB (Fitz) throws 3 picks and Cam has to run 15 times doesn’t make you a world beater either. Season just started ....... the Bucs and the Pats will be also rans. Neither one going far this year. The Saints are just better than the Pats, Bucs and Miami . This entire result was very predictable. Like Thask said, let’s see about Seattle. That’s a far better gauge
How about that Bucs and Patriots hype? Lol. The Patriots are just awful and Tampa gets another ass kicking from NO. As I kind of thought would happen.

The team I might of been wrong about is Miami who is coming to life .
Old 11-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
jimmyb

Quote:
How about that Bucs and Patriots hype? Lol. The Patriots are just awful and Tampa gets another ass kicking from NO. As I kind of thought would happen.

The team I might of been wrong about is Miami who is coming to life .

Brady, the offense and the defense really stunk it up. Bucs fans are insufferable though. They're still talking Super Bowl and professing their NFC South superiority. LOL

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: