Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Del Mar or Saratoga?
Del Mar 10 12.05%
Saratoga 55 66.27%
Love them both 18 21.69%
Voters: 83. This poll is closed

Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #46
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
That’s an excellent breakdown and comparison. I would only question the “Food outside the track”, but then I’ve only been to Del Mar a couple of times. So, I never really had a chance to check out many of the restaurants in that area.

I’ve been going to the Spa regularly for the last 30 years or so, and I’ve never been disappointed with any aspect of my visits. When my friends and I go, the wives are content to spend the day in town while we’re at the track. That arrangement definitely helps to improve the concentration level.

The “eye candy” may not be on par with Del Mar, but who needs the distractions when you trying to make money?
Hey I am in Cincinnati and walk around the track all day with a chub! Eye candy is everywhere!

And hey I imagined you white as a sheet because you never left the house because you were on Hong Kong time! I didn't know you did the races here too! LOL! Just kidding bud. Does the betting action here work as well?
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #47
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Yes,Saratoga is old, decrepit, has terrible sightlines, bad weather, and is overcrowded.

I guess some of you like that sort of thing. Personally I view it as similar to the old Boston Garden- an old facility with plenty of history but not a great place to actually watch a sports event.

Old stuff is vastly overrated in this world.
That's not a description of a dump...A dump is a filthy nasty place where the smell of trash and bodily fluids is the aroma of the day.
Decrepit.... falling apart, In disrepair. Junk.
Sorry. I live for nostalgic places.
I prefer the old skyscrapers in NYC over the new gleaming modern ones.
I'll take Colonial Williamsburg over any other place of history in the country.
I do not think the sight lines at the Spa are as terrible as you describe.
In fact, from the seats, there is nothing I see that is wrong with them. Could they improve them? Sure. At what cost though?
Boston Garden? Sorry , i have never seen a rat at Saratoga race course.
We shall agree to disagree.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #48
sour grapes
Veteran

what they really need to do is incline the front so people can see the races from the grandstand apron,not sure how expensive it would be but as a 5'9 person i cant see the races from the apron.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #49
biggestal99

Been to both many times.

Saratoga over Del Mar.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #50
molson721

Quote:
Saratoga has better racing but is an uncomfortable dump. Del Mar is a far better experience for the fan.
You must be a whiney California racing fan.

Delmar is style
Saratoga is substance and much more big $$$ racing.

When I go to the store I purchase the best product and not the one with style but is an inferior product. At least Saratoga doesn't have to bribe (ship and win) claiming owners to ship in to inflate the field size stats. Enjoy all your cal-bred maiden claimers.
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #51
elhelmete

Can't both just be enjoyed? The frigging usual collection of sniping is tiresome at a time when we should be rejoicing about two awesome racing venues.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #52
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Hey I am in Cincinnati and walk around the track all day with a chub! Eye candy is everywhere!

And hey I imagined you white as a sheet because you never left the house because you were on Hong Kong time! I didn't know you did the races here too! LOL! Just kidding bud. Does the betting action here work as well?
LOL!
I was white as a ghost, but lately in between the Wed and Sun racing in Hong Kong I have found some time to hit some of the beaches on Long Island. Now that the HK meet is done for the summer I’ll be heading out to the Hamptons and Montauk Point to do a little fishing too.

There’s lots of fine eye candy on our beaches clothed in a way that leaves very little to the imagination!

BTW the tote action and analysis works real good at the SPA. Like other methods of selection, you just have to be a little patient sometimes to catch the right play. (Almost like fishing, but the other way around because I’m the one taking the Value bait. Hit or miss I’m still hooked.)...

GL at the SPA this summer!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #53
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
That's not a description of a dump...A dump is a filthy nasty place where the smell of trash and bodily fluids is the aroma of the day.
Decrepit.... falling apart, In disrepair. Junk.
Sorry. I live for nostalgic places.
I prefer the old skyscrapers in NYC over the new gleaming modern ones.
I'll take Colonial Williamsburg over any other place of history in the country.
I do not think the sight lines at the Spa are as terrible as you describe.
In fact, from the seats, there is nothing I see that is wrong with them. Could they improve them? Sure. At what cost though?
Boston Garden? Sorry , i have never seen a rat at Saratoga race course.
We shall agree to disagree.
Sight lines at Saratoga:

Clubhouse turn blocked by trees.

Backstretch blocked by trees.

Entire track blocked by posts.

Stands too low to see over obstructions.

Rake of stands not steep enough.

Only a few thousand seats, so everyone is crowded in.

Rows too close together.

It's an awful place to watch a horse race. And I hate nostalgia. La Guardia Airport is a classic old American airport. It's also a terrible place to catch a plane.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #54
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721 View Post
You must be a whiney California racing fan.

Delmar is style
Saratoga is substance and much more big $$$ racing.

When I go to the store I purchase the best product and not the one with style but is an inferior product. At least Saratoga doesn't have to bribe (ship and win) claiming owners to ship in to inflate the field size stats. Enjoy all your cal-bred maiden claimers.
As I said earlier in this thread, Saratoga's racing product kicks our butt hands down. I totally concede that.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #55
AndyC

Quote:
Sight lines at Saratoga:........Entire track blocked by posts....
Of course when Del Mar built their new "state of the art" track in the 90s they thought that adding posts would be a nostalgic way to go. Has any stadium or sporting facility been built with posts in the last 50 years?
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #56
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Of course when Del Mar built their new "state of the art" track in the 90s they thought that adding posts would be a nostalgic way to go. Has any stadium or sporting facility been built with posts in the last 50 years?
I don't like the posts at Del Mar (which can be avoided by sitting on the 2nd or 4th level or the first 3 or 4 rows of the 3rd or 5th), but I know the architectural reason for them.

To avoid using posts, you have to set your structure back. Unfortunately, there is no room to set the grandstand back at Del Mar, because the paddock takes up all available room between the grandstand and the service road which serves the fairgrounds and the track. (For the same reason, the apron at Del Mar is small.)

So the only way to expand was to build up, not out. Which meant posts.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #57
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
LOL!
I was white as a ghost, but lately in between the Wed and Sun racing in Hong Kong I have found some time to hit some of the beaches on Long Island. Now that the HK meet is done for the summer I’ll be heading out to the Hamptons and Montauk Point to do a little fishing too.

There’s lots of fine eye candy on our beaches clothed in a way that leaves very little to the imagination!

BTW the tote action and analysis works real good at the SPA. Like other methods of selection, you just have to be a little patient sometimes to catch the right play. (Almost like fishing, but the other way around because I’m the one taking the Value bait. Hit or miss I’m still hooked.)...

GL at the SPA this summer!
Hamptons? Is that fun or just full of a bunch of people you can't hang out with?! Sounds like a solid curriculum though brother! And I was taken aback because I am so used to conversing with you at 3 am. We forget we do other stuff besides racing! Anyway good luck to you Nitro. I'll catch up with ya. Here's my spot 200 yards from the racetrack. How we do summer in the Nati!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coney-Sunlight.jpg (172.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #58
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Can't both just be enjoyed? The frigging usual collection of sniping is tiresome at a time when we should be rejoicing about two awesome racing venues.
Absolutely. Most righteous post in here. Nitpick hell!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #59
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Hamptons? Is that fun or just full of a bunch of people you can't hang out with?! Sounds like a solid curriculum though brother! And I was taken aback because I am so used to conversing with you at 3 am. We forget we do other stuff besides racing! Anyway good luck to you Nitro. I'll catch up with ya. Here's my spot 200 yards from the racetrack. How we do summer in the Nati!
That looks like real nice spot with a good size pool at your Coney Island. It must have WIFI too. Right!?

The one I grew up with, but rarely visit these days is pictured in this collage of photos. It’s located on the water near Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, NY. (From what I hear it’s not the safest place in the world after 10PM)
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Yeah, heading out East on Long Island is always for fun and its usually with friends that share similar interests. Here’s a few photos that will give you a better idea of the atmosphere:
http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/th...the%20hamptons
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #60
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
That looks like real nice spot with a good size pool at your Coney Island. It must have WIFI too. Right!?

The one I grew up with, but rarely visit these days is pictured in this collage of photos. It’s located on the water near Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, NY. (From what I hear it’s not the safest place in the world after 10PM)
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Yeah, heading out East on Long Island is always for fun and its usually with friends that share similar interests. Here’s a few photos that will give you a better idea of the atmosphere:
http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/th...the%20hamptons
Nice. Pool and track. They been taking me there since 1980. It stuck!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: