Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #181
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What do you call it when you assume a woman is a man?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #182
Grits

I know, Dilane. I don't care where we are located...we know someone is thinking, WHY would they choose there? If I ever get to Delmar on opening day, I'll look for you.

Winston Churchill said "the most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."

He was correct.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #183
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
It's not all moonlight and magnolias, as one author (from the South) once observed.....
You're the one who brought race into it.

"I have never seen, even in Mississippi and Alabama, mobs as hateful as I've seen here in Chicago." - Dr. Martin Luther King, August 5, 1966

We can play this as long as you'd like. Off Topic would be more appropriate.

Last edited by Mulerider; 05-08-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #184
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Winston Churchill said "the most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."

He was correct.
Amen....I'm married to one.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #185
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Let's keep this at least mildly related to horse racing or it is time to close.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #186
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
The topic? I always say that to myself after the race I bet on has ended.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #187
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I know, Dilane. I don't care where we are located...we know someone is thinking, WHY would they choose there? If I ever get to Delmar on opening day, I'll look for you.

He was correct.
I will get you a hat and happily take you to Del Mar.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #188
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
Think it was a bad start that created the debacle LOL

Don’t say I never did anything for you. I got one of my best Preakness handicapping angles I will share with you ...

We already know ahead of time what Justify final time will be. Just research the slowest Preakness time ever in the last 70 years and Justify will be right around that just like he was in the SA derby and KY derby.
I lol'd

FWIW, Moore indicated it was it was an incident on the far turn that is what caused him to finally pull Mendelssohn up. Noble Indy was causing trouble up there, almost knocked Bravazo off his feet, so it may have involved him. Given that Noble Indy's jock was obsessed with Mendelssohn's whereabouts between the break and the first turn, and then bedside him until he was pulled up, it's plausible. Moore also said Mendelssohn had no trouble with track or the kick back, neither did Seahenge in the Pat Day Mile.

The still photos at Bloodhorse are worth a gander. The ones showing Nobel Indy's jock standing up looking back at Mendelssohn being squeezed between Magnum Moon and Audible are priceless. Someone here mentioned how odd it was that Noble Indy was on a tight hold...

Mendelssohn didn't miss the break. He broke well, but unfortunately right into Instilled Regard who had been pushed over by Magnum Moon. Mendelssohn cleared Instilled Regard only to be caged in by Magnum Moon, who would lay on him half way down the stretch, Nobel Indy (in front), and Enticed, who would be physically pressed into Mendelssohn by Audible. Mendelssohn kicked free of all of them with Noble Indy on the first turn. Given his start, the position he was able to take up going into the far turn was respectable.

Aiden O'Brien is one of the most soft spoken, self depricating people in racing. Calling the KY derby on Saturday "savage," was not hyperbole I don't think. I think he was disgusted by the whole spectacle, including "people covered in plastic" (that line was so funny!) I think both he and Moore were disturbed by an apparent disregard for the safety of riders and horses all around. He's a man who brings Ballydoyle water with him for the horses, after all, and like a true horseman, had on a proper rain jacket and cap, unlike Bob Baffert's haute coture clear plastic garbage bag.

To the blondy--if you do not think Justify is a turf horse, then it is illogical for you to insist his brother, Beholder's brother, is a turf horse. Mendelssohn appears, like his brother Flameaway, to be an all surface horse.

The two path is def where you wanted to be. You sure didn't want to be in the path 1 or the 4 or wider. If Good Magic's jock had kept him in the 2 path until the last moment he would have won. If Audible had swung back into the 2 path he may have caught him too. The golden 2 path.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #189
1GCFAN

Mendelssohn broke out and was slammed by the 15 and others breaking in. It seemed to me he was roughed up pretty good and again in the turn. Not a fan of Mendy but he didn't get to show his stuff. Hope he comes back as Mr. O'Brien said and gives it another go.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #190
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
FWIW, Moore indicated it was it was an incident on the far turn that is what caused him to finally pull Mendelssohn up. Noble Indy was causing trouble up there, almost knocked Bravazo off his feet, so it may have involved him. Given that Noble Indy's jock was obsessed with Mendelssohn's whereabouts between the break and the first turn, and then bedside him until he was pulled up, it's plausible.
I don't think Noble Indy's jockey was concerned with Mendelssohn. He was looking to his left because he was looking to tuck in behind Good Magic. Unfortunately, when he did come over, Moore was pushing on Mendelssohn to get into the same spot and nearly ran up his heels.

I was the one who noted that Noble Indy was under a hard hold, but after reviewing it, it looks like his jock gave up the ghost of heading to the front end once the Derby genius Espinoza decided to blast Bolt D'Oro near the lead. It was either engage that kamikaze pilot and go very wide into the first turn, or try and save some ground and hope for the best from the second flight.

After that, Noble Indy was always in front of Mendelssohn and never beside him. Both quit early, but Mendelssohn gave way much more readily and Noble Indy was well clear of him as he throttled down through the stretch.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #191
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GCFAN View Post
Mendelssohn broke out and was slammed by the 15 and others breaking in. It seemed to me he was roughed up pretty good and again in the turn. Not a fan of Mendy but he didn't get to show his stuff.
That's what I saw.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2018, 01:08 AM   #192
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Aiden O'Brien is one of the most soft spoken, self depricating people in racing.
Indeed, nobody would accuse AOB of not having a lot of class. I don't even know anybody who would say anything bad about him.

Perhaps "free for all" racing isn't what everybody wants or likes for their horses.

Horses coming back to stable bloody isn't necessarily good racing. The track was a mess, and I was just very happy to see everyone make it out safely. For a while there I thought the horses that careened into each other at the start could have been a very bad situation.....
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #193
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Perhaps we can car pool to the sensitivity training classes.
I'm riding Justify to the sensitivity training classes. It will be the slowest ride to sensitivity training classes in the 70 year history of riding to classes. Justify just doesn't have a high enough horse power rating, he's all hype.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #194
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You should quit while you're far behind.
You mean "pull a Mendelsohn"

I can't resist jokes.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #195
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Indeed, nobody would accuse AOB of not having a lot of class. I don't even know anybody who would say anything bad about him.

Perhaps "free for all" racing isn't what everybody wants or likes for their horses.

Horses coming back to stable bloody isn't necessarily good racing. The track was a mess, and I was just very happy to see everyone make it out safely. For a while there I thought the horses that careened into each other at the start could have been a very bad situation.....
AOB may be personally charming, but I think he is very arrogant in assuming he can ship in and win these big dirt races. I remember when George Washington died in front of me on the Monmouth track.

If AOB wants to win the biggest American dirt races, he needs to stop trying to do it his way and take a page from the methods of successful American trainers.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply