Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #496
Sysonby

Re Secretariat as broodmare sire, I did a scan of the horses in KD a few years ago and I think it was something like 80% who had Secretariat in their breeding lines through Terlingua, Weekend Surprise or Secrettame.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #497
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
record win). To put a cap on the botched training job, Secretariat was already training on the turf for the Man O'War when he was entered in the Woodward at the eleventh hour. Good way to F up a horse's form, I'd say...
Too thin an excuse for a horse of Secretariat's caliber. Please site precedent for turf works compromising dirt performance. Are you saying the horse was short?? Confused?? Not the connections with an obvious stake in preserving Secretariat's aura. I mean you. And, if so, what is your proof? It just doesn't pass my smell test and smacks of boosterism.

And before we continue to his other losses, do you still maintain that Secretariat could "easily" have been undefeated? If so, given 5 (five) defeats (from just 21 starts), we must have differing definitions of "easily."

Last edited by mountainman; 11-12-2022 at 11:46 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2022, 12:15 PM   #498
Robert Fischer
clean money

Hronis and Sadler have developed some fast horses that don't tire.

Flightline didn't catch my eye, but I reluctantly accepted his brilliance.

It was not until the Met Mile, where he broke maybe a half a beat slowly, and Alvarado gave him a little stress, and Flightline handled it and then ran willingly through the stretch without loss of that brilliance.

After the Met Milie, I saw him as a legitimate top horse and not just a speedball with unusual stamina.

It would have been nice to see him race a full career.

Legit physically, and he's son of aging breeding star Tapit. Every foal is like playing the lottery, but he may do fine.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #499
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Hronis and Sadler have developed some fast horses that don't tire.

Flightline didn't catch my eye, but I reluctantly accepted his brilliance.

It was not until the Met Mile, where he broke maybe a half a beat slowly, and Alvarado gave him a little stress, and Flightline handled it and then ran willingly through the stretch without loss of that brilliance.

After the Met Milie, I saw him as a legitimate top horse and not just a speedball with unusual stamina.

It would have been nice to see him race a full career.

Legit physically, and he's son of aging breeding star Tapit. Every foal is like playing the lottery, but he may do fine.
How incredibly rare to possess his speed, yet also the temperament to concede a lead. That combination makes him the rarest of thoroughbreds.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #500
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Too thin an excuse for a horse of Secretariat's caliber.
What does that mean? Every horse deemed as great has to handle everything that's thrown at them every time they run whether it be unorthodox training, last minute audibles, off tracks, quick turnarounds, different distances, cross-country shipping?

Again, you are holding Secretariat to a higher standard then other horses you seem to think are great.

Quote:
Please site precedent for turf works compromising dirt performance. Are you saying the horse was short?? Confused??
That's a rabbit hole. It's not important to speculate on the possible reasons why training on one surface to race on another might compromise a horse's form; simply put, it is not ideal. That aside, the main purpose of highlighting Secretariat's turf works was to prove the point that he was not training for the Woodward but rather a different race 9 days later.

Quote:
Not the connections with an obvious stake in preserving Secretariat's aura. I mean you. And, if so, what is your proof? It just doesn't pass my smell test and smacks of boosterism.
Just reading this cold sweated, fevered, bloodshot-eyed outburst makes me think:

Quote:
And before we continue to his other losses, do you still maintain that Secretariat could "easily" have been undefeated? If so, given 5 (five) defeats (from just 21 starts), we must have differing definitions of "easily."
We definitely have different definitions of reading comprehension. Sorry, but I have no interest in going on some Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with you through Secretariat's career.

In your haste to rail against anyone who would defend Secretariat vis-a-vis Flightline, you presume that I think Secretariat was unbeatable or that he could have won all 21 of his starts. You are putting words in my mouth. Firstly, I never suggested anything to that effect in my original post; I focused simply on the circumstances surrounding the Woodward loss.

In a later post, I paid lip service to your Poe-like obsession with Secretariat's false indestructibility by stating thus (emphasis mine):

That has nothing to do with my post. But I suppose Secretariat could have easily been undefeated if he was managed the way top horses are now. But we probably wouldn't have seen him more than 10 times on the track (and likely never after the Belmont).

Dissemble no more! Tear up the track! Here, here! It is the beating of his hideous hooves!
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #501
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What does that mean? Every horse deemed as great has to handle everything that's thrown at them every time they run whether it be unorthodox training, last minute audibles, off tracks, quick turnarounds, different distances, cross-country shipping?

Again, you are holding Secretariat to a higher standard then other horses you seem to think are great.

That's a rabbit hole. It's not important to speculate on the possible reasons why training on one surface to race on another might compromise a horse's form; simply put, it is not ideal. That aside, the main purpose of highlighting Secretariat's turf works was to prove the point that he was not training for the Woodward but rather a different race 9 days later.

Just reading this cold sweated, fevered, bloodshot-eyed outburst makes me think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngw6KaHlSf0

We definitely have different definitions of reading comprehension. Sorry, but I have no interest in going on some Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with you through Secretariat's career.

In your haste to rail against anyone who would defend Secretariat vis-a-vis Flightline, you presume that I think Secretariat was unbeatable or that he could have won all 21 of his starts. You are putting words in my mouth. Firstly, I never suggested anything to that effect in my original post; I focused simply on the circumstances surrounding the Woodward loss.

In a later post, I paid lip service to your Poe-like obsession with Secretariat's false indestructibility by stating thus (emphasis mine):

That has nothing to do with my post. But I suppose Secretariat could have easily been undefeated if he was managed the way top horses are now. But we probably wouldn't have seen him more than 10 times on the track (and likely never after the Belmont).

Dissemble no more! Tear up the track! Here, here! It is the beating of his hideous hooves!
As an aspiring horror novelist, I really dig the Poe reference(s). In fact, his well-acclaimed opening in The Fall of the House of Usher might be my favorite sentence in literature. I just quoted it to my son several days ago.

Be well.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-12-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #502
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
In fact, the widely-celebrated opening in The Fall of the House of Usher might be my favorite sentence in literature.
I remember I had to look up the word "tarn" when I first read that story. Think its in the 4th or 5th sentence. Good stuff.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2022, 10:46 AM   #503
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

What I really miss the Classified Alowance races. We have so few of them these days.
I think they had so much trouble filling NW3, the occasional NW4, and Classified ALW races they just sort of swapped them all out for the overnight stakes.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: