Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
kingfin66
Bombardier

Issue with Post Time Daily - Friday BC File

I downloaded both the Friday and Saturday Keeneland files from Post Time Daily. The Saturday file opened fine in both the racing form software and TMM. The Friday file crashed TMM prior to it opening all the way. I messaged PTD to report the issue and inquire about it being a corrupt data file. They said no, it is because the number of entries exceeds the limit for the program. This makes no sense because (a) I have never had that type of issue when running the program (many years) and (2) the Saturday card opened fine and it has races with many entries.

In my subsequent message challenging their assertion that it is my now outdated software that is the issue, I asked if others are having issues. They said that others are having issues, but it is only those of who are using The Handicapping Magician and TMM. Black Magic and Value Capper users are having zero issues.

Although I think PTD is wrong, and that the issue is the file, they say not. At this point, I really just want to focus on a solution. It is with this in mind that I ask those of you who use TMM if this has happened to you as well and, if so, have you been able to find a solution.

Thanks, and no need to hammer PTD in this thread as I will be a pest via email even if the only solution from them is a refund.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

I use the same files and had an issue with the KEE Friday files also. It's a familiar problem to me but I haven't seen it for years. It involves an extra double quote (") inserted inside a string value which in turn are bracketed by double quotes. My program traps errors like this and attempts to fix them. If it can't I get a message displaying the data. Your problem may be different but here's what I found and did to fix it.

You need to edit the EKEE1106.H20 file. I renamed it first with a .txt suffix to do this. Do a find on Betfred. There's only one in the file and it's on the
"11/06/20","KEE",7,"New Mandate (IRE)" line.
The find on Betfred will show "Betfred " still Treble Odds O"
You can see that string contains a double quote between Betfred and still.
Remove that double quote and save the file. Rename back to .H20 if you need to. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Last edited by Augenj; 11-04-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
kingfin66
Bombardier

Thank you so much for your reply. Everything you wrote makes total sense to me. The only issue I am having is in saving the file back to the type H20 that TMM will read. The program no longer crashes, but it does not display any data. The problem is that it still shows a text file even after I change the extension from .txt to .H20 (it really thinks that it is .h20.txt. Any thoughts as to how to resolve this?
Old 11-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
kingfin66
Bombardier

Never mind. Figured out a way. Thank you very, very much for your help! Definitely a hero today!!
Old 11-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

You're welcome.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Great to see players able to help each other here. Best part of PA!

PTD......failing marks for customer service.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

There always seems to be somebody here to fill in a knowledge gap. I've been helped in the past too.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #8
Appy

Happy ending makes for a great thread to read.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Agreed Tom. I don't wish to be too hard on PTD though, as they did respond promptly to my inquiry. As a post script, PTD did eventually message me and say that they were able to locate the issue in the file. My guess is that augenj helped with this. The file was eventually replaced, so all was good. I was on the cutting edge thanks to augenj. This is the first time I have ever had an issue with the PTD files.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: