Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
shoelessjoe

John Beaver's Yeast Program

I know Im setting myself up for more abuse and contemplated about not posting this but I figure maybe others could benefit as well.I have this program and have heard nothing but good things about it.If someone could give any advice on the best way to use it I would appreciate it.Shoeless
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
46zilzal
velocitician

There IS NO HOLY GRAIL, fountain of youth,__________ (place any mythical thing you want here).

I know you have a program that works well and far better than 90% of them out there. You have a tolerant support group to help you understand most of the subtle nuances.

Stop, learn that program inside and out. Review HUNDREDS of races in that format. This constant search and multiply directed approach is only setting you up for MORE misunderstanding NOT LESS.

Much akin to trying to learn 10 differing languages while never mastering a single one.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
shoelessjoe

I appreciate the comments but really dont see what that has to do with my question.You obviously dont use the program so it really doesnt make sense for you to answer in the first place.Shoeless
Old 11-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
shoelessjoe

46 ,I sent you an e mail and it's not a degrading one.Shoeless
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
shoelessjoe

46,Somebody on Pace and Cap made me realize that what you said earlier was right so I wanted to let you know that I agree with him.Shoeless
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Beaver

Shoeless

I've utilized this program with some success, but it's like any other program, if you keep a t. profile and model the various parameters, you'll increase your chances of success.

I utilized all the parameters and formulated a kind of point/consensus method of narrowing the field down to 4 contenders. It's kind of time consuming, but it seemed to work better than just depending upon the power numbers only. More of a total "view", because there are 14-17 different parameters besides the power numbers. If you like "sheet like things", the GRAP program is interesting, attempting to analyze the form cycles of the various entrants.

This program is worth investigating.

Crest
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
dylbert
Turf Economist

Advice concerning 46... put him on your iggy list aka IGNORE USER

This is one of the greatest features of this forum.

Back to Yeast -- I have read about program. Do Search and you may find more information here. Good Luck...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #8
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylbert
Advice concerning 46... put him on your iggy list aka IGNORE USER

This is one of the greatest features of this forum.
My good man you aren't privy to the bulk of this LONGSTANDING interaction.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe
I know Im setting myself up for more abuse and contemplated about not posting this but I figure maybe others could benefit as well.I have this program and have heard nothing but good things about it.If someone could give any advice on the best way to use it I would appreciate it.Shoeless
Shoeless,

John Beaver passed away a few years ago, but renants of his old prodigy site are still here:

http://pages.prodigy.net/whoahaw/#stuff

There is some discussion of Yeast there. There are also several here at PA who have used some of the versions of Beav's Yeast, so a search might help.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
wes

John Beaver, mentioned KeyPony in one of his help files. The site KeyPony.com looks like the work of John's programs.

wes

Last edited by wes; 11-25-2007 at 01:33 PM.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes
John Beaver, mentioned KeyPony in one of his help files. The site KeyPony.com looks like the work of John's programs.

wes
I've also heard that one of the FullCard Reports is based partially on a version of Yeast. No idea if its actually the case or not.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Is that the site that ripped off John's program after he passed away (or maybe before) and used its output to make tip sheets?
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
wes

Here is the file John mentions KeyPony.com
below was from help file in Yeast program.

Report Terms:
Lx:
Most dramatic changes after getting Lasix happen in the first three races. (L1,L2,L3)
SyQ, P(ratings) and Race Distance:
The established running style (E,P,S/0-7), Pace speed ratings (1,2,L,T) and the distance of the race will help visualize the way the race should setup.
Who has one dimensional pace( Early or Presser) and who is the type that will adapt to the pace. (EP1-7)
By looking at the distance and the pace call figures (more weight on P1,P2 in sprints) and the running style, in most cases it become easy to predict who will go to the front, who will press and the closers.
In our example how could any horse in this field hold off a sustained running style horse (S:best kick late) with good enough early speed to be right with front runners.
Key:
A combined figure of different elements in last three races. This is a dangerous figure if the horse has no layoff (L/R), good works (Wpt) and in a positive condition cycle (Fm).
Hint: KeyPony.Com<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<
CPL%:
Competitive Purse Level (% of today's purse or claiming price)
120 and C 20000= Horse has been competitive in C 24000 level.
75 and C 20000= Competitive in C 15000
$= The lowest claiming class that the horse has entered in.
Important note about $: Become familiar with the claiming games of your favorite racing circuit. ( Is the class drop for lack of performance or for a paycheck? trainer knowing there won't be a claim )
Speed Ratings:
A breakdown of past speed ratings (Bris) :
All: Lifetime.
L3: Last three races.
@DS: @ or within 1 furlong of today's distance. A ~ next to the program No. indicates that horse has never run at today's distance.
OP:
Odds Performance rating of overall/recent races. These are relative ratings (the higher the better). Not reliable data are shown as blank.
A higher or much higher 2nd rating is another indication of positive condition cycle.
Note: These numbers are only reliable for actual contenders in the race. A true 20-1 on the board can rarely out perform those odds to get on the results board.
Fm:
The Form rating is a comparison of recent to overall performance figures.
Rating is from -3 to 9, -3 being at the bottom of a downhill condition cycle and 9 is in top condition. Last time winners will usually have high form figures, so past performance lines need to be checked.
Wpt:
A relative scoring of the workouts in last 21 days. 100 is the ideal figure indicating in top performance % at the track for that day.
L/R:
Number of days since last race.
The recent OP, Fm, Wpt and L/R figures should be examined all together to consider the form and fitness of the horse at post time.
POW:
Power is the generic overall past performances of the horses in the field, and the list is sorted according to this figure.
Hint: a top ranked horse with high ML indicates a good horse outclassed in the field or bad recent performances.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barrister
Is that the site that ripped off John's program after he passed away (or maybe before) and used its output to make tip sheets?
Yes. And I suspect the help file verbage that wes is referring to was added off of the keypony site. I doubt keypony was ever mentioned in any help file created by John Beaver, but by somebody selling the software on ebay.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
I've also heard that one of the FullCard Reports is based partially on a version of Yeast. No idea if its actually the case or not.
Yes. The "classic", or "Gold" report on their website(s) is John's original program with identical output except they did take "Beav" off the header as well as renaming a couple of other headers.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply