Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #91
FocusWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
It just hit me that TWO(2) Mnr- talents have gone off the grid and and neither has been photographed holding a recent newspaper.

I swear on the sainted name of Soto, guys, I'm not THAT hard to work with.
I still enjoy listening to you but I really learned quite a lot listening to your banter with Nancy.

Since Peter stopped calling, I have tried to discern when a horse is or isn't running on the proper lead. It would be nice to hear him calling again just to see if I am getting this right or not.

I definitely would have been a wiser bettor had I known more about this back when I was playing Alydar over Affirmed.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 12:36 AM   #92
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusWiz View Post

Since Peter stopped calling, I have tried to discern when a horse is or isn't running on the proper lead.
Watch the hind-strike to determine which lead a horse is on. And I would advise that "luck" has nothing to do with horses not switching. Unless the animal runs greenly, staying leftie often results from an effort to keep weight off the right front, generally involves short, choppy action, and stems from pain and infirmity. In other words, beaten horses don't lose because they don't switch-they don't switch because they are destined to lose.

And never, EVER give extra credit to a horse failing to switch leads, as if this were some random twist of fate or misfortune.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #93
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusWiz View Post
I still enjoy listening to you but I really learned quite a lot listening to your banter with Nancy.
Some viewers thought the chemistry worked, others felt certain her and I held each other in complete contempt.

We sure had polar opposite ideas on how to do the show. Nance wanted it low key, bare bones, inoffensive , and easy on the ears.

I preferred to do more weighty analysis, rattle some cages, and speak with candor.

Lots of times before coming up for a race, she would admonish me to keep it short because there was "just nothing to say" about that particular field, whereas I was sitting there chomping at the bit and hoping to squeeze in all the stuff I was brimming to convey about the race.

What different approaches. But the consensus is it worked.

I will say this: Nance is one classy, dignified lady who fought bravely against camera fright for 20 years. And for a person who could not identify two points of call in a 6-furlong race, and who never came even close to grasping that a beyer number is based on final time, she earned quite a following and did her very best for the show.

Whether we could have moved forward together is an entirely different topic. Our partnership had run its course.

BTW..casual fans invariably miss the old show, while hard core handicappers prefer the current version. To each his own. It should be obvious which iteration I favor.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-20-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #94
the little guy

Nothing like the lowest of low roads to self aggrandizement
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #95
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Some viewers thought the chemistry worked, others felt certain her and I held each other in complete contempt.

We sure had polar opposite ideas on how to do the show. Nance wanted it low key, bare bones, inoffensive , and easy on the ears.

I preferred to do more weighty analysis, rattle some cages, and speak with candor.

Lots of times before coming up for a race, she would admonish me to keep it short because there was "just nothing to say" about that particular field, whereas I was sitting there chomping at the bit and hoping to squeeze in all the stuff I was brimming to convey about the race.

What different approaches. But the consensus is it worked.

I will say this: Nance is one classy, dignified lady who fought bravely against camera fright for 20 years. And for a person who could not identify two points of call in a 6-furlong race, and who never came even close to grasping that a beyer number is based on final time, she earned quite a following and did her very best for the show.

Whether we could have moved forward together is an entirely different topic. Our partnership had run its course.

BTW..casual fans invariably miss the old show, while hard core handicappers prefer the current version. To each his own. It should be obvious which iteration I favor.
Trashing Nancy isn't the classiest move here...just sayin'

Did I miss where she took a shit on your head publicly? If so, I apologize in advance.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #96
Dave Schwartz

FWIW, I took MountainMan's post completely differently.

He has consistently shown himself to be OBJECTIVELY ANALYTICAL about just about everything.

My best guess is that he does it with himself as well.
Maybe I can identify with this because I aim to do the same thing. That's why I am an "acquired taste."
(... which would need its own thread - along with some time on the psychiatrist's couch, perhaps. LOL)
Thus, my belief is that he stated things factually as he sees them.

Was there a bit of venting? Possibly.
But more likely, he is just stating (what he believes) is OBJECTIVE REALITY.

I really don't think he was throwing her "under the bus," although might be the logical impression if one did not know him.

Just my opinion.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #97
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Nothing like the lowest of low roads to self aggrandizement
I told you once, I am not doing this with you anymore, Andy. As in never again.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #98
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Trashing Nancy isn't the classiest move here...just sayin'

Did I miss where she took a shit on your head publicly? If so, I apologize in advance.
I'm assuming our bromance is off. Too bad, I was kind of counting on me , you, and Andy doing the town when my son and I visit New York.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-20-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #99
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post

He has consistently shown himself to be OBJECTIVELY ANALYTICAL about just about everything.

Maybe I can identify with this because I aim to do the same thing. That's why I am an "acquired taste."
(... which would need its own thread - along with some time on the psychiatrist's couch, perhaps. LOL)

I really don't think he was throwing her "under the bus," although might be the logical impression if one did not know him.

Just my opinion.
Tx, Dave. And yes, I was difficult to work with and have wondered a thousand times what I should have done differently.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #100
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Just my opinion.
Ditto. I agree with Dave.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #101
Boomer

Until this year I considered myself a member of Mountaineer nation. I had some communications with Mark and Peter under the names Boomer and Bello.

Mark always gave me an honest assessment of my concerns and not only has Peter been one of my 2 favorite announcers ( along with Tony Calo) he has a great sense of humor, even while calling the races.

Not focused on the Mountain so much this year. The Mountain nation and the entertainment factor disappeared with the loss of Peter. I love some of the daring jocks, others, with their "beating a dead horse" just turned my stomach.

I am sure some of the trainers are dedicated horsepeople, but likewise, some pick up these horses to fit a race or two via the condition book and then they disappear. Draw you own conclusion, I have.

Not sure what the handle has been of late. I wish Peter, Nancy, and Mark all the best. Where the broadcast was a breath of fresh air, not for me anymore.

All the best

Last edited by Boomer; 09-20-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #102
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Thanks , Ralph. For having my back. The feeling is mutual. While I do think Mike's take was too harsh, given a mulligan, I would probably edit a sentence, or two.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #103
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Until this year I considered myself a member of Mountaineer nation. I had some communications with Mark and Peter under the names Boomer and Bello.

Mark always gave me an honest assessment of my concerns and not only has Peter been one of my 2 favorite announcers ( along with Tony Calo) he has a great sense of humor, even while calling the races.

Not focused on the Mountain so much this year. The Mountain nation and the entertainment factor disappeared with the loss of Peter. I love some of the daring jocks, others, with their "beating a dead horse" just turned my stomach.

I am sure some of the trainers are dedicated horsepeople, but likewise, some pick up these horses to fit a race or two via the condition book and then they disappear. Draw you own conclusion, I have.

Not sure what the handle has been of late. I wish Peter, Nancy, and Mark all the best. Where the broadcast was a breath of fresh air, not for me anymore.

All the best
Tx, Boom. I much enjoyed our correspondences.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #104
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Well I disagree with you and Dave. So there.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #105
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Well, the vast majority of readers here don't actually KNOW him...and she's not around to respond.

So yeah, it was a dick move IMO.