Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #16
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Damn I must live an insulated life... cause if I heard someone use term Grape Soda. My first thought would of been Shasta Brand Pop.

Shasta sodas were great...my personal favorite as a child was their Root Beer.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #17
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
Shasta sodas were great...my personal favorite as a child was their Root Beer.
that was owned by National Beverage, Caporella was his name, and he owned race horses way back== DARN THAT ALARM

Last edited by lamboguy; 01-09-2021 at 09:07 PM.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #18
sandpit

I read about it on the TDN. Guillot obviously did it on purpose and in a very mean way. If he has a problem with Ken, he should have addressed it in some other manner.

Call me naïve, but I honestly had no idea until today that Grape Soda was a derogatory term. So I googled "why is grape soda a derogatory term" and nearly everything on the first page of results had to do with the horse. However, there was one article from 2013 in the Atlantic titled "A Brief History of Racist Soft Drinks".

Nothing about grape soda in there, but this from the article:

"Few realize that Coke marketed assiduously to whites, while Pepsi hired a "negro markets" department."

and...

"Mountain Dew originally based its entire brand around making fun of poor Appalachians, also known as hillbillies. In the late 40s and early 50s, its label featured the official Mountain Dew mascot "Willy the Hillbilly" and the slogan: "Ya-Hoo! Mountain Dew. It'll tickle yore innards." (The name of the soft drink, of course, refers to the Southern slang for moonshine.)"
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #19
theotherside

Insane

This is insanity.To thing anyone would actually associate that name with racial hatred is ridiculous.Soon we wont be able to speak.
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #20
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I get it. But if they would have just ignored the idiot he wouldn’t have got what he wanted........public notice
Ralph, you nailed it, but unfortunately, nobody can ignore anything anymore, which is why we are in the mess we are in.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #21
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
that was owned by National Beverage, Caporella was his name, and he owned race horses way back== DARN THAT ALARM
I remember that Horse. To be a high-quality Horse...it seemed like he raced a lot. Tougher Horses back then.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:23 PM   #22
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherside View Post
This is insanity.To thing anyone would actually associate that name with racial hatred is ridiculous.Soon we wont be able to speak.
I feel sorry for Indian Charlie...

I mean think about it... and what about

Cool Coal Man.... what were they thinking everyone knows what color coal is right and cool , must be code for dead.

Okay this is a good spot for this...

Old 01-09-2021, 11:06 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wow...I may have to rethink many things after reading this thread.

You guys shock me...and that's kinda hard to do these days.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:50 PM   #24
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit View Post
I read about it on the TDN. Guillot obviously did it on purpose and in a very mean way. If he has a problem with Ken, he should have addressed it in some other manner.

Call me naïve, but I honestly had no idea until today that Grape Soda was a derogatory term. So I googled "why is grape soda a derogatory term" and nearly everything on the first page of results had to do with the horse. However, there was one article from 2013 in the Atlantic titled "A Brief History of Racist Soft Drinks".

Nothing about grape soda in there, but this from the article:

"Few realize that Coke marketed assiduously to whites, while Pepsi hired a "negro markets" department."

and...

"Mountain Dew originally based its entire brand around making fun of poor Appalachians, also known as hillbillies. In the late 40s and early 50s, its label featured the official Mountain Dew mascot "Willy the Hillbilly" and the slogan: "Ya-Hoo! Mountain Dew. It'll tickle yore innards." (The name of the soft drink, of course, refers to the Southern slang for moonshine.)"
Pepsi-Cola hits the spot 12 full ounces that's a lot... has no taste has no smell but it's only a nickel so what the hell.

Can't remember where I heard that... could of been later night radio maybe Don Rickles. But it stuck.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #25
elhelmete

Almost exactly 10 years to the week of similar crass behavior directed at Ken with that horse at Cal Expo.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #26
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Almost exactly 10 years to the week of similar crass behavior directed at Ken with that horse at Cal Expo.
There is a thread on here about that one.

Guillot was clearly in the wrong and NYRA did the right thing but Rudolph needs to be reeled in on his social justice takes, even if it's just from his Twitter feed.

Last edited by metro; 01-10-2021 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 10:27 PM   #27
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Sorry. I guess I'm tired of everything being twisted into racism.
I'm with you on this sentiment, but in this case, it wasn't twisted. Guillet came right out and said he is referring to a TVG analyst.

Can't imagine what Guillet is thinking. Like that's not going to be reacted to strongly? Maybe he wanted an excuse to get out of the game. I just don't get it.

Justin Thomas missed a putt yesterday and as he was walking up to the ball to tap it in, he muttered to himself, almost inaudibly, "what a fag". He was muttering to himself, and it was damn near impossible to even hear him, but some guy on twitter heard it, posted a tweet calling him out, and Thomas had to apologize on air during his post round interview. Fast thinking on his part allowed him to say all the right things as I'm sure he didn't see the accusations coming. Man, you have to be so careful now. The PC police are on high alert all the time, and meaningless, thoughtless arbitrary mutterings can get you into a tight corner.

Last edited by ultracapper; 01-10-2021 at 10:33 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #28
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Wow...I may have to rethink many things after reading this thread.

You guys shock me...and that's kinda hard to do these days.
This is one of those where they're going to wake up in the middle of the night and go...."Oh, now I see. Duh."

I hope, anyway.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #29
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
This is one of those where they're going to wake up in the middle of the night and go...."Oh, now I see. Duh."

I hope, anyway.
Nah, no they won’t
Some folks are too far gone
Old 01-10-2021, 11:13 PM   #30
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Nah, no they won’t
Some folks are too far gone
I guess some of us weren't indoctrinated into a racist culture. As a kid I drank Grapette like it was water. I never thought of it as anything but a soda

If guillot knowingly did this to be mean (racist comment or act) then he has to live with it. It'll be on his record. I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy that's leaving the sport anyway. No one was injured, no one was robbed. If he's a racist then his life can't be happy, as an individual. That's punishment enough and he has plenty of company in that respect. From all races.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply