Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #166
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Or it could be the exemption from high tariffs coupled with VAT and other taxes which would increase the product price by 50%.

BTW Hamilton who actually put our financial system together favored tariffs, protective tariffs..
It could.

But the more likely reason(s) are the ones I mentioned. Its a booming market and proximity means less cost as well as cheap labor. Its the exact same reason Japanese and European auto manufacturers are coming here. It has nothing to do with tariffs.

As far as China they have slashed their tariffs over the past few decades. Emerging markets trigger investment and they have been much smarter than the Russians after perestroika and the fleecing they took.

China is more open now that ten years ago. Twenty. Ect.

As far as Hamilton tariffs were used as the main revenue stream for nation's at the time so it's hardly unusual. Income taxes as we know them didn't even exist yet. We aren't talking about a balance sheet though we are discussing punitive tariffs.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #167
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Here ya go bud...

It was all R after that...
Tons of those images are on the internet, everything Obama did is being undone and giving you gas. Obviously I am part of the President's base, how I see it he is making all the right moves. Your angst in 2018 is almost certainly to grow five fold, the President is just getting started. Much of the good cop / bad cop at the state department is for one man. You have fun with it as far as it has legs, we will both get up one day to hear on the news that it is over in NK. However that happens on the news it will be just one bump in the road. You will have plenty of material to go on with, just do not expect agreement.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #168
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
It could.

But the more likely reason(s) are the ones I mentioned. Its a booming market and proximity means less cost as well as cheap labor. Its the exact same reason Japanese and European auto manufacturers are coming here. It has nothing to do with tariffs.

As far as China they have slashed their tariffs over the past few decades. Emerging markets trigger investment and they have been much smarter than the Russians after perestroika and the fleecing they took.

China is more open now that ten years ago. Twenty. Ect.

As far as Hamilton tariffs were used as the main revenue stream for nation's at the time so it's hardly unusual. Income taxes as we know them didn't even exist yet. We aren't talking about a balance sheet though we are discussing punitive tariffs.
He was in favor of protective tariffs too. He believed protective tariffs would encourage domestic industry. This discussion over protective tariffs has been ongoing since the formation of the U.S. I am confident the debate will continue for centuries to come.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 12-29-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #169
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
But some animals are freer than others. Contrary to a lot of "common sense", the correct policy in dealing with a country like China is not to match their trade restrictions, but to have freer trade policies than they do.
Actually, Congress and Trump responded accurately with the Tax Cut Act. China is already panicking and offering companies no taxes on income the company reinvests back into China. I wonder how many companies will opt to have to reinvest its earnings in China to avoid taxation?
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #170
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I am confident the debate will continue for centuries to come.
Such optimism is a rare find.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: