Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #91
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
How about the others who are walking the solitary path? You are a group, maybe not physically a group, but a group non-the-less.
So...when you see individuals walking along separate paths...their individualism resembles a "group" in your mind? Okay...

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-28-2018 at 02:15 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #92
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
So...when you see individuals walking along separate paths...their individualism resembles a "group" in your mind? Okay...
Are you trying to tell me there is no other person who thinks like you about social policies, spiritual concepts, or on any human endeavor? Do you want us to believe you were raised in a vacuum and you were not influenced by other people and their teachings?

BTW the word "group" includes types it is not limited to physical presence.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 06-28-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #93
Mulerider

Quote:
Really? Where? In the bible?
Close. Bill Buckley used to say that people who say they're neither conservative nor liberal are liberal.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #94
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Close. Bill Buckley used to say that people who say they're neither conservative nor liberal are liberal.
Ahh... Buckley! He was a brilliant man. Did you know that when he was a little kid, while his friends were writing letters to Santa Claus...Buckley was writing to the king of England? True fact.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #95
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
I, personally, can not relate to the right, or the left. I form my opinions as an "individual"...I don't allow "group-think" to make my decisions for me. The "group" often leads you right over the cliff.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/158...both-when-they
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #96
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
To be honest...I don"t much relate to John Maynard Keynes either.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #97
Mulerider

Quote:
Ahh... Buckley! He was a brilliant man. Did you know that when he was a little kid, while his friends were writing letters to Santa Claus...Buckley was writing to the king of England? True fact.
This past Tuesday I briefly considered capping MNR for a tournament, but didn't like the card. Instead, while surfing, I came across all of Buckley's old Firing Lines on YouTube. Watched a few of them, including a couple of formal, team debates. Stayed up way past my bedtime. Good stuff.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #98
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
This past Tuesday I briefly considered capping MNR for a tournament, but didn't like the card. Instead, while surfing, I came across all of Buckley's old Firing Lines on YouTube. Watched a few of them, including a couple of formal, team debates. Stayed up way past my bedtime. Good stuff.
I do the same on a nightly basis...to the point where YouTube now is my sole entertainment channel...gambling notwithstanding. It's amazing what content you can find there.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #99
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
Are you trying to tell me there is no other person who thinks like you about social policies, spiritual concepts, or on any human endeavor? Do you want us to believe you were raised in a vacuum and you were not influenced by other people and their teachings?

It is possible, no one ever discussed politics with me on a serious level till I met my step dad when I was 14, yet I was a hard core Republican at the age of 7, staying up all night watching election returns worried that Nixon would lose to Humphrey. I have also been an atheist from about the same age and my mother took me to church every Sunday till I was 12. I also had a grandmother, and other family members whose life revolved around church who I saw quite often also. Most atheists I know were raised by fellow atheists, but not me.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #100
MargieRose

"Fascism is a form of government which is a type of one-party dictatorship. Fascists are against democracy. They work for a totalitarian one-party state. ... Such a state is led by a strong leader—such as a dictator and a martial government."

So, is Trump leaning toward being a 'dictator' who has plans of remaining in control of the U.S.A for life? Isn't that what dictators usually strive for? Is that even possible in this country?

As to abortion: I've always wondered why a murderer of a pregnant woman is usually charged with the murder of TWO individuals; yet, the murder of just the unborn individual, is not considered as murder at all, by many. How does one rationalize that?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #101
thaskalos

Quote:

I don't want you to "believe" anything; I am just telling you that I have found serious fault with everything that I've read or have been taught...to the point where I honestly cannot say that I have been "influenced" by anything, or anybody. I would call myself "The Outsider"...except that Colin Wilson wrote a book with that title some 60 years ago. And I disagreed with his views in that book also.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-28-2018 at 02:59 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #102
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
It is possible, no one ever discussed politics with me on a serious level till I met my step dad when I was 14, yet I was a hard core Republican at the age of 7, staying up all night watching election returns worried that Nixon would lose to Humphrey. I have also been an atheist from about the same age and my mother took me to church every Sunday till I was 12. I also had a grandmother, and other family members whose life revolved around church who I saw quite often also. Most atheists I know were raised by fellow atheists, but not me.
So you are telling me you didn't learn by example? Why would a 7 year old be worried about a presidential election? Do you think you may have subconsciously observed the behavior and reactions of the adults and others around you? Being influenced or taught by others does not depend on serious discussions.

BTW I know plenty of atheists and agnostics who were raised in church going homes, especially when only the mom took them to church. Maybe they observed dad's reaction to church?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #103
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
I don't want you to "believe" anything; I am just telling you that I have found serious fault with everything that I've read or have been taught...to the point where I honestly cannot say that I have been "influenced" by anything, or anybody. I would call myself "The Outsider"...except that Colin Wilson wrote a book with that title some 60 years ago. And I disagreed with his views in that book also.
I believe you found serious fault, in your mind, with everything you read. I am asking you if you want me to believe there is no other person who thinks like you about social policies, spiritual concepts, or on any human endeavor. Because that is what you are telling us. You are stating you have not been influenced by the teachings and examples of other people, and thus no one can hold the same values as you, i.e. travelling a solitary path.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #104
boxcar

Quote:
No. Boxcar has no opinion of his own. He left one group...so he could join another.
Yup, you're right. I left kingdom of darkness (this world) to join the kingdom of heaven. Kool, huh? When are you leaving the darkness and coming to the light?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #105
boxcar

Quote:
What is to continue. You demonstrated exactly what I said.. I stated traditional Apostolic teachings and you are are talking your individual interpretation of what is traditional Bible teaching. This is not about religion, it is about how you interpret the Bible as an individual and not a group thing.
Well..people here would disagree. So, if you want to continue to the Religion thread so that we don't get up anyone's nose.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: